Air Quality - an Open Letter

Thanks marasan.
Why couldn’t the police do anything? Could this mean it isn’t their jurisdiction? I assume this means its the EPA jurisdiction to enforce the burning laws. What do you think?
A tech told us this week, that Hsinchu farmers burning in the countryside are the worst compared with other counties. Granted this is just rumor. But he drives all around every week. I don’t so I can’t compare.
If I confront farmers I think they will seek revenge when my back is turned.
As I write this, BBC is talking about how Mainland Chinese are suspicious of people who talk about values and the correspondent quotes G.B. Shaw: “The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him… The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself… All progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
I also think the EPA will seek revenge.
So I guess I need to get smarter if I’m going to be unreasonable. :wink:

It seems little has changed. I’m reading this in 2021 and it’s unfortunate that little progress has been made.

1 Like

I wasn’t here back then but from what I have heard it has actually improved a lot. Imo Taipei
is ok but Taichung and Kaohsiung air quality are still shit.

1 Like

https://tccip.ncdr.nat.gov.tw/km_newsletter_one.aspx?nid=20191202172107

5 Likes

True. Nothing has changed for folks in Taichung and Kaohsiung. They are still daily facing unhealthy air qualities no matter the statistical data.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Also, to put it into perspective, Canada (well Western Canada to Northern Ontario), the place with supposedly pristine air, has had horrid air quality issues the last several years with smoke from forest fires in the summer. Not the same, for sure, but equally a problem. We had a solid month of PM 2.5 over 100, and a week or so at around 200.

1 Like

The important part…They are still facing very unhealthy air.

And Taipei does not have ‘healthy air’. I’ve worked in the center for years, it’s air quality is still poor. It’s improved but so much more needs to be done.

Taiwan is sacrificing the center and south region air quality for economic development .

2 Likes