Air quality in Taichung

You are still sore about the plant stuff, I get it.

But take it elsewhere.

And they did collect PM 2.5 stats in the old days. There’s historical data online.

I used to live on the other side of that hill, I know the general area very well :). Indeed foreigners are quite a rare sight around there.

Don’t you sometimes think they made the biggest mistake in the world putting the power plant and the horrible ugly port there instead of building a model city or suburb on the beach side , ah well…You still have the sunsets on a good day.

Very little pm2.5 data was collected, I know, I have looked into it previously.

Probably not from the early 00s, but since the 10s there are PM2.5 data and it has gotten far better.

It’s not wrong when you add the pollution from the brown cloud in China. Cumulatively things have definitely gotten worse since I arrived in Taiwan 20 years ago…It may be getting better now with China hopefully limited it’s emissions more.

No it is completely wrong. Air pollution used to be far worse in Taiwan pretty much everywhere. A lot of the major pollutants (aka the sweatshops) have relocated to China and SE Asia so it got better.

I doubt it given the effects of the brown cloud from China. We almost never got that when I first arrived here (they called them sandstorms) and over the last few years they were so common they were hardly mentioned in the news. Certainly Taichung’s air was cleaner before that massive plant was built and the increased activity there, both industrial and residential and then you got the Chinese pollution added on.

I know it’s anecdotal and you’ll call me a dumbass, but 8 years ago I could see the ocean everyday, and now it’s lucky if I can see it once a week during the winter months. It has been decent so far this year tho.

Every morning when I step out on the balcony. :unamused:

I’m extremely curious to see how this new outlet mall and future “yacht club” goes down. Apparently they are trying to clean up the seaside port area and the Oceanside line in general.

1 Like

If anyone can figure this out maybe this would be of help

Whatever. I’m done arguing. The truth is Taichung’s air used to be far worse and it’s gotten a lot better these past couple of years.

That’s exactly my point.

What part of 12 million tons of coal burned annually in 2006 and now averaging 18 million tons of coal from Taichung power plant in the last three years do you not understand ?

No way it’s that simple. There are a bunch of other potential inputs to consider.

2 Likes

I am providing data. Gain is not providing any.
50% increase is not a small number on an already massive number.

I’m just pointing out that you’re not accurately representing the significance of that item of data.

2 Likes

Thanks tempogain
Very unhealthy and polluted here

Well I think it’s clear, 50% more emissions of carbon dioxide, probably similar for Sulphur and Nitrogen dioxides, then dust increase unless covered unless have switched to better quality coal …Even then the impact of lower sulphur content coal is probably small compared to a 50% increase in volume.

It’s such a one-sided and biased argument. Yes they burn more coals now, but they also have better filters and equipments. There are far more factors to consider. Coal power plant is not the only source of air pollution.

2 Likes

It can’t help I’m sure! They could have better scrubbers though too as well. But maybe not

I didn’t say it was, but I have provided clear data that they have massively ramped up coal burning in 2010s.

Also having lived in Taichung I noticed how traffic has increased a lot as the city expanded, in industrial and also residential areas. The central science park continually expanded when I was there and also opened other branches in houli and even into Miaoli (which is a disgrace as they use so much water). Possibly construction also affected air pollution levels…Taichung isn’t a small city like the old days.