Air raid drill May 18th 1:30pm to 2pm

Heads up. Yes, the same as last year, and you know what happens every year.

For reference:

2 Likes

Just a heads up, tomorrow we have this party up in Taipei/New Taipei. Or as I see it, 30 extra minutes for napping.

aipei, May 16 (CNA) The annual Wan An air raid drill for northern Taiwan will take place on Thursday, and streets will be evacuated to allow for disaster prevention drills, air-raid siren tests and traffic control.

The drill, codenamed Wan An No. 40, will be held between 1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. in Taipei, New Taipei, Taoyuan, Yilan, Hsinchu and Keelung.

During the half-hour period, pedestrians and vehicles will have to stay off the roads as ordered by the military, police and civil defense workers, according to the Taipei City Police Department.

Those who violate traffic and evacuation instructions by authorities will be subject to a fine of between NT$30,000 and NT$150,000 (US$4,980) under Article 25 of the Civil Defense Act, the police said.

The high-speed rail, mass rapid transit systems and flights will operate as usual, although disembarking passengers will have to remain in their stations during the 30-minute period.

Passengers are also advised to arrive earlier at the Nangang, Taipei, Banqiao, Taoyuan and Hsinchu high speed rail stations, as shuttle bus services and taxis will not be operating during the drill, according to the Taiwan High Speed Rail Corp. (THSRC).

It’s a pointless activity in 2017.
No air raid is needed in a war in this day and age.

Wow the streets are really empty now I’ve ever seen this before actually occurred.

Look outside right now the police are making people get off the streets and go back to where they were coming from.

Enjoying seeing the cars being pulled over on the road 20 floors down. They are serious about this one.

1 Like

I guess the central police can see all of the empty streets from their headquarters in Taipei and Taiwan.

I’m glad to see people taking it serious but it’s funny to see oblivious people walking down one of the busiest streets in Taipei have no clue what’s happening until some police man yells at them

Cops are running down stray scooters to stop. Won’t let people walk anywhere.

How many of you got the emergency alerts on the cellphone?

I received 3 emergency alerts SMS on my cell phone.

I got them…at the start and the end of the Zombie Apocalypse…seems to be safe now to wander the streets alone…

I got one right as the horn went off.

Unfortunately, I’ve moved seats since the last drill and I can’t see outside anymore. I remember cars still driving around last year and police weren’t doing anything about it.

Good to hear they’re cracking down. Technically, they’re saving people from getting fined up to 150,000NT.

One at the start and one at the end.
Where’s it from, though? Kind of shocked that my smartphone had those messages.
The telecom company did it?

It is the same emergency network used for earthquake/tsunami alerts and such.

sms : 1st at 13:30 and 2nd at 14:00

my Taiwanese boss wanted to go out and I told her not to go out just yet.
so she waited for while.

Just back from a nice ride through Yangminshan, going over the top and down while I heard some noise, sounded like sirens far away :grin:.
Not sure, but did not see a single car or scooter on my way down, nicest decent ever.
At the police station at the entrance, guys in yellow on the middle of the road, but I swinged past, said hi, and went further down … guess it helped it was almost 2.

You are totally right man. The Beijing government would NEVER try anything other than being a nice and friendly neighbour.

Guy

1 Like

You get me wrong, what I was saying was, in this day and age, with the technology in weapons being so advanced, a single missile will just end everything.
The air raid by large groups of enemy flights was the idea of WW2, which is outdated.

Part of the reason of clearing the streets is to give the Taiwan military and anyone else that needs to move around like the president unhindered access to move around. And also to make it easier to identify combatants.

It a real situation it might not even mean Taiwan is under attack. It will probably mean that attack is imminent and that important people need to get to the appropriate locations like command centers and fighting locations as quick as possible.

1 Like

Just heard the sirens come on for a few seconds.

You sure it wasn’t your alarm clock? :laughing: