Air-raid drill Thu 8/28 1430-1500

According to today’s China Post, there will be an air raid drill in most of northern Taiwan tomorrow (Thursday 8/28) afternoon from 1430-1500. All cars have to pull over, pedestrians have to follow police directions. MRT will be running, busses will be stopped.

Apparently you can get a fine for disobeying. I plan to be out shooting photos and riding my bicycle. :smiley:

Every year the same thing, every year there is ample warning and still… Someone at the office forgets, gets locked out, something happens… :whistle:

This year, in my neighborhood, the lizhang posted a warining: turn off your lights, water, gas. :astonished:

Uhm, some more specific details would be really useful…
Somehow I think I completely missed the one last year, so I have no idea what’s going on.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Uhm, some more specific details would be really useful…
Somehow I think I completely missed the one last year, so I have no idea what’s going on.[/quote]
just ignore it. It appears you did the same last year. :slight_smile:

For some reason I seem to be on my way somewhere every single time they do this. You get waved off the street by the police and have to spend the next half hour standing outside a 7-11 or whatever in the baking sun with a bunch of other bored, pissed-off people.

The whole thing is extremely silly.

I figure that if bombs and missiles did come this way, it ain’t going to matter if you’re standing in a 7-11 or walking outside. Unless you’re in a proper bomb shelter or a reinforced basement, it’s all going to come down to (bad) luck.

[quote=“Brendon”]For some reason I seem to be on my way somewhere every single time they do this. You get waved off the street by the police and have to spend the next half hour standing outside a 7-11 or whatever in the baking sun with a bunch of other bored, pissed-off people.

The whole thing is extremely silly.[/quote]

you fool, what you should do is stand in the 7-11 quaffing taiwan pijiu and eating tempura…

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Uhm, some more specific details would be really useful…
Somehow I think I completely missed the one last year, so I have no idea what’s going on.[/quote]

The entire article is http://www.chinapost.com.tw/print/172098.htm.

Now you know as much as I do. Just plan to be off the streets btwn 1430 & 1500 and you’re all good.

Just smile, wave and ride on by. The cops are tasked with standing at intersections. That’s IT. They’re not required to actually chase you or anything. I’ve been waved down before several times, but I’ve never bothered stopping.

so, anything happen?

oh, it’s tomorrow. oops.

:blush:

I’m thinking of heading out specifically during those times for a bit of laughter, but I have no idea where to. Anyone got any suggestions for some air-raid banter?

Not much laughter. Just a bunch of rather pissed-off people rolling their eyes and bemoaning the fact that they live in such a fucked-up shithole.

Ah Q, the police station gets pretty interesting. They follow the book and take everyone down to the basement… for some cookies and tea.

To all the merry men planning to especifically go out, remember, if you get a pissed up cop wanting to be funny:

[quote]Residents of several cities and counties in northern Taiwan are being urged to abi
de by regulations for a half-hour air defense drill tomorrow afternoon, [color=#004080]or violators may face fines between NT$30,000 and NT$150,000.[/color] [/quote]

Oh, excellent. Now… what is the quickest and cheapest way of getting to the police station :ponder:

Oh, excellent. Now… what is the quickest and cheapest way of getting to the police station :ponder:[/quote]
Stop at an intersection, gun your engine, engage first gear and keep rolling forward a few yards as the cop approaches. That should do the trick.

Oh OK, OK, don’t. Do as you’re told and avoid the fine. Allow me my little diversion – its the only time of the year I can use my elevator card to flash at the cops and get to go on my merry way – “Gotta COVER THE STORY, man! Step aside.”

“Similar anti-aerial defense exercises will be held on the frontline islands of Kinmen and Matsu” - frontline… is Taiwan still at war?
I know there was never an actual piece of paper signed, but that sounds kinda scary… :s

Maybe you do not want to know where the anti-aircraft batteries are… :imp:

(Whereabouts in Xindian do you live? Can you still see the radars?)

What if you’re out hiking in the trials in the remoter parts of the city? Do you have to hunker down in the nearest Earth God shrine? Will there even be cops up there in the mountains?

Its all done to remind people that we are next to China…the baddies. No peace treaty with China in place (Ma is trying to get one signed) so , yes technically still in the Chinese Civil War phase we are.

Its a thursday, had it been a Friday, then we would have plane loads of Chinese from the direct flights arriving and wondering WTF?

HAHA

Last year I had lunch with a friend right at Keelung and Xinyi and when trying to get home that drill started off. We didn’t realise before so we just followed the whole thing with a cold beer from inside an airconditioned restaurant.
First there were still some people trying to run and pass by but police stoped everyone, even taxi drivers, etc. The whole thing really looked strange as both, Xinyi and Keelung Road were deserted in the middle of a working day. Besides the scooters and cars on the side of the road that was.