Air-raid drill Thu 8/28 1430-1500

I don’t know Sandman…I got a 4,000NT fine once (granted was many years ago) for following your advice. They had to bring an English speaking cop off of the freeway to chase me down (was on the way to Taoyuan from Taipei by motorcycle) and he was some kind of pissed when he caught me.

Just a reminder, that air raid drill is imminent!
:runaway:

Coming in 5 mintes… where can we watch the fireworks? :slight_smile:

we’re off!

Yep, shut down the 'puters …, aircon off, lights out … shut down the gaz … electricity off, hardhat on … crouch under the table, desk, upside down bathtub … hear the missiles and airplanes?

I think it’s extremely silly and outdated. It’s not like China will invade Taiwan all of a sudden without warning. If the tensions will ever rise to push us to the brink of war there will still be enough time for this kind of drills.

Also, Mainland China’s army might be not as sophisticated as the US army, but I think they too know how to make use of pinpointed missiles which will take out strategic targets, such as power plants, airports, and military installations, first, so the danger for civilians in city centers shouldn’t be that great. Also, what about missile defenses? Aren’t we protected by some kind of Patriot missile system?

Its like lip synching. Its all a show my friend.

I just came back from 7-11. The cops down the street stopped me. I smiled, said hello, and walked on. They didn’t give a fiddler’s fart what I was doing out or where I was going. Which is: down the tax office to pick up my tax rebate. WooHoo!

This funny. They have turned off the lights in the landscape area but kept the computers powered on. So we’re all working in the ghostly light of LCD monitors.

Well not everyone, people with in meeting rooms don’t get the lights turned out. The coffee machine works ok too. I asked around and apparently the meeting rooms don’t have windows that to the outside, so it’s ok.

[quote=“KingZog”]This funny. They have turned off the lights in the landscape area but kept the computers powered on. So we’re all working in the ghostly light of LCD monitors.

Well not everyone, people with in meeting rooms don’t get the lights turned out. The coffee machine works ok too. I asked around and apparently the meeting rooms don’t have windows that to the outside, so it’s ok.[/quote]

Here (Hsinchu Science Park) nobody cared. But we had sirens going on and off.

the happy farmers in the field in the hillside in front of me doused their smoking bonfire at about 20 past 2, and now it’s just past 3, they’ve lit it again. that was very nice of them.

You know if the Chinese do attack we’ll get to see Taiwanese Patriot PAC3 and Aegis shooting down DF11 and DF15 missiles, which are basically Scud like technology.

The Taiwanese have their own missile defense system too, and the US Navy would probably send some Aegis equipped ships and some more PAC3 batteries. Maybe even the Boeing Airborne Laser.

Shit will be SO cash.

What an event. It’s a good thing I’m easily entertained, 'cause…

Well, here on Zhongshan n. rd. nobody really gave a toss. The sirens went off, the police stopped what cars they could but they didn’t tell any of the people walking to hide & cower in a sheltered place. A motorbike came speeding towards the intersection, the cop directed him onto the sidewalk, where he drove towards the next intersection and came back on the road again :whistle: The back roads were buzzing as always. After 5 mins I just went into the nearest Wellcome, whom had closed the front entrance shutters but left the back open.

Nobody seemed to take this whole thing seriously :bow: I should have gotten myself arrested

I decided to go riding my bicycle along the riverside. It was interesting.

I wrote about it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aep/2805811052.

Nothing, nothing … but the penguins. Those cursed, cursed penguins. They’re after me! Run! Run for your very LIVES!