🛌 Accommodation | AirBnb

Has anyone tried airbnb in Taiwan?

I’m used to do airbnb back in US and I find them very good, but not sure how well established airbnb is in Taiwan or Asia in general.

Is it something that one considers here or not?

I’m thinking of doing some weekend trips, I always dread the steep price of hotels.

I have friends who have been very happy with the airbnb bookings they have made here.

I myself have looked into hosting here. My impression is that it is very well established here despite it not actually welcome by neighbors (that’s kinda its story in most places, right?)

1 Like

Airbnb is fine in Taiwan.

1 Like

Yeah had a lot of groups pass through town staying in Airbnbs. As @GooseEgg indirectly mentioned, there seem to be a lot more rules around pretending that you’re friends of the houseowner to avoid neighbours knowing that they’re hosting Airbnb guests etc, but no big issue.

2 Likes

I’ve read the thread regarding the issue of airbnb with the tenant. And it appears that airbnb is illegal in Taiwan (at least 2017). So I was wondering if say, you rent the room via airbnb, and in that event, the tenant staying there reported the landlord and there was some sort of investigation. Am I (airbnb renter) gonna be kicked out and will I be charged ?

You are planning on ditching the landlords? LOL

No. I read the thread that was posted here and I was saying if say, maybe a neighbor or a long term tenant staying in the house reported landlord, and there was an investigation and I am currently staying as a short term airbnb tenant, do I get in trouble?

I think only the landlord gets in trouble, and even though the government has to send an official to the place etc. All this takes time. Normally an official pretends to be a guest and when arriving at the place issue the fine to the landlord and leaves.

1 Like

Most AirBnb users I have met in Taipei always tell me that they were told not to mention that they used AirBnb to rent the place :shushing_face: :sunglasses:

Anyways, in many countries complaining is mostly done by the neighbors that are irritated by people moving in and out every few days. And not everywhere it’s legal.

1 Like

Based on my experience, at least in US, the tenant/landlord owns/rent the whole house so it does not really concern neighbors. So, I was just curious how it is in Taiwan. I may try to take a stab one of these weekends, hopefully I get a positive experience. I like the idea of airbnb, it feel more homey, I actually don’t like hotels that much, I could not careless about the free breakfast or bed making.

I’ve used it a few times in Japan and once in the Philippines. No problems and highly recommended.

1 Like

I use it all the time. It is not legal in many countries. Never had a bad experience except in London.

What happened in London?

Disgusting dirty! Was in and out in a blink. They refunded me the money and I didn’t have courage to book another Airbnb in London. The listing pictures were amazing though, until I got there…

1 Like

Really good article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/international.thenewslens.com/amparticle/110475

Taiwan one of most popular 2019 travel destinations: Airbnb

http://m.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201812210009.aspx

1 Like

If you’re staying in an airBnB, have a “real” hotel address ready for immigration at the airport coming in.
Many hosts ask that you say you are “staying with friends” instead of renting short-term.

I use airBnB all the time in Taiwan and have yet to have a bad experience. Coming back next week to a place I was in last year, in fact.

1 Like

Airbnb seems like a convenient option for people that want to stay in Taiwan for a few months but don’t want to sign a contract or give one or two month deposit.

In fact it could be the only option for an apartment.

1 Like

Anybody have any additional thoughts on legality in Taiwan? Or that it’s illegal but widely used? I’m thinking about doing this with a place in Hualien, renting it out I mean.

yes

1 Like