Airlines cancel portion of flight - help/opinion

Dear all,

we are booked on China Eastern Airlines
Taipei > Pudong > Frankfurt > Hamburg
Pudong to Hamburg is on the same flight number, which means after landing in Frankfurt
the same plane is continuing to Hamburg.

Well, situation now is that today wife got a call from ChinaEasternAirlines that the
Flight Frankfurt to Hamburg will be canceled.
They offer us 2 (in my opinion ridicolous choice),
cancel whole ticket free of charge
or
disembark in Frankfurt, leaving us making our own arrangements to Hamburg on our own (!!) cost.

I know, on behalf of EU (european union) law, an airline is obliged to offer us an alternative connection,
but this trip has been booked here in Taiwan direct bu that airline, so according to a friend that EU law
will not affect our individual situation …

What can we do ?
What rights do we have ?
Our flight will be next week and we really don’t need this annoying thing right now - makes us nervous too

Can anybody give us any suggestions what to do, as yet I am not sure if putting pressure on the airline company
would be a smart move …

Not sure I understand. The final leg of the flight from Frankfurt to Hamberg has been cancelled but the rest of the flight is going ahead as scheduled?

Is the airline offering to compensate you for the final leg? Surely they aren’t saying you are on your own but you still have to pay the full price just to Frankfurt?

[quote=“MoTi”]Dear all,

we are booked on China Eastern Airlines
Taipei > Pudong > Frankfurt > Hamburg
Pudong to Hamburg is on the same flight number, which means after landing in Frankfurt
the same plane is continuing to Hamburg.

Well, situation now is that today wife got a call from ChinaEasternAirlines that the
Flight Frankfurt to Hamburg will be canceled.
They offer us 2 (in my opinion ridicolous choice),
cancel whole ticket free of charge
or
disembark in Frankfurt, leaving us making our own arrangements to Hamburg on our own (!!) cost.

I know, on behalf of EU (european union) law, an airline is obliged to offer us an alternative connection,
but this trip has been booked here in Taiwan direct bu that airline, so according to a friend that EU law
will not affect our individual situation …

What can we do ?
What rights do we have ?
Our flight will be next week and we really don’t need this annoying thing right now - makes us nervous too

Can anybody give us any suggestions what to do, as yet I am not sure if putting pressure on the airline company
would be a smart move …[/quote]

I was recently in Europe and (although China Airlines) had a problem that may be relevant.

I booked a seperate Manchester to Frankfurt connection to join my fra/tpe flight. It was late and i missed my original flight from AMS,but because it was not a "complete trip booked through China airlines,was stuck. I had to fly to Amsterdam,stay the night and fly AMS/TPE at my cost.My partners were given flight via Japan but got home free!All because they booked the whole trip in one. Although Lufthansa fly almost every 2 hours FRA to HAM, i think,from the previously mentioned experience,it would be safer to book one whole trip through an agent.
It depends on the prices you got because the season is getting expensive now. FYI i paid 200 euros for FRA/HAM.last year.if they have an arrangement with Lufthansa maybe ask if they will allow you to fly with them?

@ MM

yes, it is one ticket !! Purchased online at ChinaEasternAirlines (Hongkong webpage due to English)
Whole trip is
tpe>pvg>fra>ham<>fra>pvg>tpe
pvg to Hamburg is on the same metal, same flight number, just with a short stop in frankfurt.
The whole trip is on ONE ticket !!

Last part of the flight to germany (frankfurt to Hamburg) is cancelled - reasons unknown, but I guess it
really doesn’t matter.
We are booked to hamburg, and it is purely out of question they just want to let us disembark in frankfurt.

Yes, they indeed said on telephone, if we wanna go there, not their problem, it should be our own arrangement
at our own personal cost - that is ridicolous - what a crab …

Taking train to hamburg on behalf of the airline is out of question too as we travel with tons of baggage, have
a child and definately don’t want to s(h)it in a german train in pre X-mas time.

Hope this clarify situation - again asked, what rights do we have (according I guess taiwanese/hongkong law) ?
No idea which countries law counts as we booked direct on the airline webpage

en.ceair.com/muovc/main/en_US/St … tions.html

Looks like their contract of carriage may require them to get you a ticket on another airline. Call back with this document in hand and check ahead for an exact flight number from Frankfurt to hamburg and ask them to get you a seat on that flight. Make sure in advance seats are available or they may try and tell you it’s booked.

another problem has occured …

“MU” allows the piece concept, which actually was (besides its cheap fare) another main reason to chose that airline,
as we intend to take over 100Kg with us …

Now I heard, if we e.g. (highly likely) will be rebooked with Lufthansa (Frankfurt>Hamburg), they just allow us each
1 (one) baggage each 20 Kg allowed.
Thus they would charge us heafty fee for overweight …

This can’t be true, hopefully not, otherwise I really have no idea what to do …
All isn’t due to my/our responsbility …

[quote=“MoTi”]another problem has occured …

“MU” allows the piece concept, which actually was (besides its cheap fare) another main reason to chose that airline,
as we intend to take over 100Kg with us …

Now I heard, if we e.g. (highly likely) will be rebooked with Lufthansa (Frankfurt>Hamburg), they just allow us each
1 (one) baggage each 20 Kg allowed.
Thus they would charge us heafty fee for overweight …

This can’t be true, hopefully not, otherwise I really have no idea what to do …
All isn’t due to my/our responsbility …[/quote]

That flight looks like a good option. Star Alliance group (Thai,Lufthansa etc,) allow you to pay with Airmiles for excess baggage. If you have any? Its cheaper to even "buy? miles if any available.There are websites that do that but i think its weeks and weeks waiting so unless you have collected star alliance miles i guess no good. Only Business class or Silver/Gold card get allowance 30kg.
Sometimes your Credit card holder has Insurance or even some bank accounts like HSBC Advance incorporate it. Longshots ,i know . It looks like you may be forced with the extra fees at the end of the day…not fair but…i wish you well,

China Airlines are taking the piss.
Malaysia Airlines tried the same shit with me last year.

Call them up and raise hell, they MUST get you a flight at their expense on another carrier. Accept nothing less and tell them you will be coming to their office to raise hell if neccesary.

My situation was as follows.

I booked a flight on Malaysia from Taipei/Kota Kinabalu/Kuala Lumpur/Cape Town return.

A month before my flight the return leg from Cape Town to Kuala Lumpur was cancelled.

They offered me the same deal. Hell no. I called them up, and DEMANDED they book me on another carrier, which they did. I returned on Singapore Airlines.

In my old life I did a shitload of international travel, and the airlines are the biggest c&*ts out there.

Why do you make yourself so much stress? Just take the ICE to Hamburg or rent a car. Of course you should demand adequate compensation for the final leg. By the way, Lufthansa doesn’t fly to Hamburg anymore, they changed everything to German Wing, I doubt you could actually take a 100kg on their planes…

China Eastern Airlines have a bad reputation for summarily canceling legs or flights. At least you were told in advance: a friend missed her wedding in Paris and was stuck in the international terminal in Naha (about the size of a house) when they cancelled the Naha-Shanghai leg of a Naha-Shanghai-Paris trip, and then wouldn’t refund her as they put her on the next available flight (4 days later). her and about a dozen other people too…

Avoid like the plague, I suspect they have the same attitude to maintenance as well.

by the way, you didn’t write when you fly!?? Anyways, if you feel to tired to drive to Hamburg or if taking a train is too complicated, stay a night in Frankfurt or let someone pick you up.