✈ Airlines | China Eastern

They both have had crashes due to bad design or system integration or human and machine interfacing

I think the point is that Airbus has recently upped its game, with the A350 and other fuel efficient and lovely aircraft—while Boeing has, during this same period, been cutting corners to play catch up, most notoriously with the brutal stupidities in the 737 Max design, but also earlier with batteries in the 787 catching on fire . . .

Boeing, heal thyself!

Guy

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-22/china-plane-crash-update-pilots-didn-t-answer-calls-as-jet-dove

Paywall. :neutral_face:

Guy

updated news

3 Likes

Well, planes don’t crash nose down, so yeah, thanks China.

Something like this also happened in Germany a while ago—pilot murder-suicide. If these guys want to take themselves out, I really wish they didn’t take all these innocent people with them.

Guy

Yes, scary as something you have little control over other than not flying.

So why did it hit the ground?

plane engines got myocarditis, but that was just a coincidence

1 Like

Gravity.

Will fly with China Eastern tomorrow. Let me share my experience with them.

Booked a flight on esky (later heard that site should be avoided?).

Taipei-Songshan - Shanghai-Hongqiao
Shanghai-Pudong - Frankfurt
Frankfurt - Shanghai-Pudong - Taoyuan

Nothing special there, but I like the start from Songshan.
esky sent me an e-mail with the ticket number and I tried for the past two days to check-in online on the China Eastern website. Always got stuck at a Loading… screen.
Finally called the CE office in Taoyuan. The lady on the other line was friendly (I expected worse, after reading a lot of complains about their customer service). They verified the ticket number and I realized that esky added two digits at the end that caused the problem, should be 13 digits with a hyphen after the first three.
So I checked in online for the first flight, think there is a 24h limit, did reserve an aisle seat and downloaded the boarding ticket. Turns out, that file is useless, just a few lines of code or sth.

So, so far so good.

Haven’t traveled in many year, so I am kind of excited. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, flights done. Here is my report.

Overall, nothing special to report about, really. The flights were on time, the planes were flying, meals were served, no one died.

Just a couple of minor things.

Of all flights to Frankfurt this was the cheapest I could find. About NT$10,000 cheaper than most other of the cheaper options. There was nothing on the flight that explained that cheap of a price. Planes, like the seats, looked a bit oldish, the brown color of the seats is kind of ugly, seat space in Economy is small, but OK, flight attendants are not overly friendly (but hard to tell, cause they have their effing masks on), meals are served twice on the long haul, simple, but edible, no hot drinks (but you don’t want to drink those any way), no pilot announcements for some reason, inflight entertainment basic (not sure what other airlines offer these days.

I did use their website to check-in, which went through. On the back flight I chose seat 70J on the Boing 333 (or something), the first row at the back of the plane with only two seats on the side behind three-seat rows, meaning that this aisle seat has a bit room to the left behind the aisle seat in the front. Perfect, I had two spaces under the front seats to use and two seat back pockets, also I was able to put my long legs out into the space on my left for more comfort. Also only one passenger by the window you have to let through for pee breaks. Toilets are very close, but you cannot hear the flushing sound too loudly, no smell either. Food is served from the back so you get your meal early, and you can run to the toilet before everyone else after the meal, cause the people in front are blocked by the trolley when trays are collected. I was very pleased with that seat.

My Shanghai layover, including trip from Hongqiao to Pudong airports, was a great experience too. Riding that city’s metro system is easy and interesting. Quite similar to Taipei’s metro actually, the English announcements are a bit better I would say. Easy to get to major tourist attractions such as the Bund, etc. Lot’s of people on Nanjing E. Road, only approached a few times by street vendors. Most people very well behaved, even the E-bike couriers.

Only drawbacks were figuring out their payment systems and the security stuff at the airport, health declaration, finger printing, baggage search, etc.

Will I take China Eastern again? Absolutely, next time Chengdu. Or I try China Southern via Guangzhou, or Air China via Beijing.⁷

avoid CA, they r the worst. MU still ok tbh, no experience with China southern.

More reason to try them out then :laughing:

1 Like