Airplane interference from mobile devices

Can they make an airplane that can not be hacked by a simple mobile device. How ridiculous is this?

There’s a Mythbusters episode on this.

According to that Mythbusters episode, any airworthy plane (as in able to pass FAA inspections and actually be allowed to fly) has enough shielding that cell phones won’t affect it.

However with air travel they like to play it safe, and so they won’t allow cell phones to be turned on while the plane is in the air. I think it’s actually against FAA rules too. I mean these days planes have WiFi so it’s practically given that these radio signals won’t mess with air traffic.

1 Like

Can you even get a signal up there?
Also with the rising of satellite internet, in-flight internet will become progressively cheaper.

If there was any chance of phone interfering with plane operations, then they would confiscate all phones and turn them off before the flight.

I’ve accidentally left my phone on for the duration of a flight and nothing bad happened.

When I fly Eva, they never bother me about having my phone on. I don’t even bother to hide it. Any American airline they’re like super crazy about it.

which is why so many American airlines went bankrupt.

International airlines blow any American carriers away when it comes to customer service.

A normal phone will not impact the planes control or navigation systems however it will be f&^king annoying to the pilots at best and prevent communications at worst, put your phone close to a radio and imagine having that playing in your ears whenever you wear your headset.

Most airlines allow phone use once it’s in flight mode after reaching cruising altitude and before the decent phase.

1 Like

Take a look around you.
You call this “nothing bad happened”??? :noway:

1 Like

Here’s the definitive answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAq-7sOzXQ

1 Like