Al-Qaeda threatens China. Who do they think they are?

I am very bothered by this:
timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w … 704812.ece

[quote]Al-Qaeda vows revenge on China after riots
Al-Qaeda has issued its first threat against China with a vow to attack Chinese workers in North Africa in retaliation for Beijing’s treatment of Muslim Uighurs.

The threat, issued by the Algeria-based al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), highlights the risks faced by China as it expands its economic investments overseas.

“Although AQIM appear to be the first arm of al-Qaeda to officially state they will target Chinese interests, others are likely to follow,” an intelligence report from Stirling Assynt, a London-based risk analysis firm, says.
[/quote]

I’m sick of this. Is Al Qaeda really that strong? Threatening China is not like threatening the US in the days of Obama, unlike Obama, China might actually do something.

I hope China squashes them. It’s getting clear no western country seems to be able to do so.

I’m angry. :fume:

This is from 4 hours ago:
dnaindia.com/opinion/column_ … na_1274799

[quote]Last fortnight, jihadi forces, on the run in Iraq, Afghanistan and to an extent in Pakistan, appeared to give notice of their intention to open up a new frontier in their theatre of terrorist operations: China.

A London-based risk analysis firm revealed to its clients that an offshoot of the al-Qaeda in Africa had resolved to target Chinese interests in that continent to avenge what it called the killings of Muslims in southwestern China.
[/quote]

Good. Let’s see how humanely China treats terrorists.

Sorry, I am irritatated about those 2 Canadians attacked in Indonesia. I’ve had enough. If the West is incapable of protecting itself that I welcome the Chinese as our new overlords.

Al-Qaeda really must be bat-shit crazy. I mean, lets say they recruit 1 million bombers, and each suicide bomb kills 10 people on average. I’m being generous with both numbers. China has 1400 million people. Its not even a blip on the radar. I mean its like “let’s threaten the wealthiest nation on Earth. OK, next, we threaten the most populous!” Its hard to take them seriously. They don’t seem to have thought this through.

Don’t be silly. It’s just PR. They know exactly what they’re doing, or trying to do at least, and it has next to nothing to do with western China.

Who would anyone be more fearful of in China, Al-Qaeda or the Chinese?

If its not the Chinese government its the Chinese drivers and if it isn’t them then its the milk powder companies, the drugs companies, the food companies and the list goes on. What Al-Qaeda should be threatening is to raise the living standards in China. That’ll put the fear of god into them! Then you’ll see some action!

I’d prefer to read into these headlines:

Al-Qaeda Threatens China with Truthful News Agency!

Al-Qaeda Threatens China with Top Quality Education!

Al-Qaeda Threatens China with Forced Civil Standards!

Al-Qaeda Threatens China with Toothbrushes and Deodorant!

Al-Qaeda Threatens China with RPGs! (Road Posted Give way signs)

Al-Qaeda Threatens China with Manners!

Chinese treatment of its Muslim Uighurs is state-sponsored terrorism. Just like its treatment of Tibet. China is a more legitimate target of Al-Qaeda than is the USA.

Don’t be silly. It’s just PR. They know exactly what they’re doing, or trying to do at least, and it has next to nothing to do with western China.[/quote]

Exactly. They’re just trying to hitch a ride on Chinese oppression of the Uighurs, aided by those who simple-mindedly lump all Muslims together.

From what I’ve read there’s a fair bit of irritation with the recent Chinese expansion of their presence in Africa- grumbling about Chinese goods and merchants dominating markets, mistreatment of workers by Chinese companies, sweetheart deals and corruption in contracts etc.

Al-Qaeda is trying to take advantage of this by using the situation in Xinjiang to try to forge a narrative where Chinese exploitation= anti-Islam, and al-Qaeda are the saviors.

Don’t be silly. It’s just PR. They know exactly what they’re doing, or trying to do at least, and it has next to nothing to do with western China.[/quote]

Exactly. They’re just trying to hitch a ride on Chinese oppression of the Uighurs, aided by those who simple-mindedly lump all Muslims together.

From what I’ve read there’s a fair bit of irritation with the recent Chinese expansion of their presence in Africa- grumbling about Chinese goods and merchants dominating markets, mistreatment of workers by Chinese companies, sweetheart deals and corruption in contracts etc.

Al-Qaeda is trying to take advantage of this by using the situation in Xinjiang to try to forge a narrative where Chinese exploitation= anti-Islam, and al-Qaeda are the saviors.[/quote]

Well, I hope Al Q continues to be stupid, and China takes care of Al Q the Chinese way.

Canada is not spending $900,000,000 dollars on security for the Vancouver winter Olympics because Canda is woried about the CIA or Republicans in America. Canada is spending nearly a billion dollars on security because we are worried about terrorism. From terrorists like Al Quaeda.

Wake up people. Terrorism isn’t going away without a fight and I hope China gets in on the fighting, because western countries are losing. :cry:

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]
Well, I hope Al Q continues to be stupid, and China takes care of Al Q the Chinese way.

Canada is not spending $900,000,000 dollars on security for the Vancouver winter Olympics because Canda is woried about the CIA or Republicans in America. Canada is spending nearly a billion dollars on security because we are worried about terrorism. From terrorists like Al Quaeda.

Wake up people. Terrorism isn’t going away without a fight and I hope China gets in on the fighting, because western countries are losing. :cry:[/quote]

Are you claiming that Canada is spending nearly 1 billion dollars because they are worried about Republican sponsored terrorism? Why would the Republican party or the CIA want to cause death and destruction at the winter Olympics?

Got any links to back up your claim?

[quote=“lbksig”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

Wake up people. Terrorism isn’t going away without a fight and I hope China gets in on the fighting, because western countries are losing. :cry:[/quote]

Are you claiming that Canada is spending nearly 1 billion dollars because they are worried about Republican sponsored terrorism? Why would the Republican party or the CIA want to cause death and destruction at the winter Olympics?

Got any links to back up your claim?[/quote]

Huh?

[quote=“lbksig”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

Got any links to back up your claim?[/quote]

No, I’m not claiming that Republican-sponsored terrorism is a threat to Canada. However, many would make that claim. I personally know more foreigners here in Taiwan, from many countries, who believe that the CIA is the biggest threat the world currently faces. I am arguing that Canada has no need to protect itself from the CIA, thus the money must be meant to protect Canada from terorist attacks during the Olympics.

If you were debating the amount, here:

[quote]http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=267833VICTORIA - The security budget for the 2010 Winter Olympics in British Columbia has been set at $900 million.

Securing the Olympics is a complex affair.

The Games are taking place in Vancouver and Whistler, B.C. which are separated by 126 kilometres of highway with ocean on one side and cliffs on the other.

In addition, there are thousands of kilometres of coastline, airspace and the U.S.-Canada border that must be secured.

Games security will involve more than 8,000 people from agencies including RCMP, military and local police.

Among other items, the budget includes $212 million for the Department of National Defence, $11 million for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and a $137 million contingency fund.

Van Loan said even though there was a now a public budget, the final tally for Games security remains unknown.

Canadian officials have identified both local and international threats to the Games.
[/quote]

p.s. GuyIn Taiwan, you’d probably really enjoy this editorial:

Chuanzao: Nice article.

Yes, but local threats include people who write critical letters to the editor. Not quite China but with the establishment of “free speech zones” we will converge one day or the other.

I’ve asked before, and didn’t get any serious replies- and no, “nuke Mecca” is not serious- so, once again, what is this “Chinese way” of dealing with terrorism that is so much different and more effective than the mushy liberal West?

What if al-Qaeda carried out its threat to kidnap Chinese aid workers in Muslim countries? What could China do?

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]
Canadian officials have identified both local and international threats to the Games.
[/quote]

Yes, but local threats include people who write critical letters to the editor. Not quite China but with the establishment of “free speech zones” we will converge one day or the other.[/quote]

I think they mean “local threats” as in the Toronto 18.

Are you suggesting there is a crackdown on people who are critical of the Olympics? I know some First Ntions people have been vocal but I thought that was pretty well easily ignored.

They kill people and care about civilian casualties A LOT less than the west. Yes, the west inflicts more carnage than weare happy with,but it is child’s play compared to what the Chinese would do. The Chinese don’t believe in human rights, MikeN, where the west would at least give someone they disagreed with something that looks like a trial and journalists would try to cover it, the Chinese would shoot, shovel, and shoot anyone who didn’t shut up.

[quote=“MikeN”]
What if al-Qaeda carried out its threat to kidnap Chinese aid workers in Muslim countries? What could China do?[/quote]

I don’t know,but I suspect we will find out sooner or later. Al Q isn’t a corporation. Someone will kidnap an aid worker sooner or later, and I don’t see the Chinese paying ransom and trying to keep it out of the press like I am ashamed to say my own country does. :frowning:

I don’t know what to think about China, really, but the issue is hella interesting. I’m going to keep reading about it. :popcorn:

Mucha Man:

I stand corrected!

canada.com/Violence+Olympics … story.html

[quote]Violence may hit Olympics, says top cop

Security forces prepare to deal with ‘criminal protests’

Later Mercer said his definition of “criminal protests” included “violent protests, mass people throwing Molotov cocktails, breaking fences, permanently blocking highways, refusing to leave, damaging property, assaults, throwing things, injuring people. The list goes on.”

Mercer told council that 2010 security plans include:

More than 900 cameras to guard the perimeters of Olympic venues.

“Free speech” zones where protesters can legally demonstrate.

A 2010 security force of 7,000 police, 5,000 private security officers and 4,500 members of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Mercer said that in 10 minutes surfing anti-2010 Games sites on the Internet, he came up with pictures and pamphlets showing Olympic mascots carrying Molotov cocktails, the Olympic rings decked with Nazi swastikas, masked protesters, tires burning and an image of the Canadian Pacific Railway’s Olympic torch “Spirit Train” being pushed off the tracks.

He also came across an image of a beheading captioned with the words, “Elementary to the art of war, cut off the head and the body will die” and a banner reading, “Riot 2010,” taken at a rally in Vancouver’s Chinatown in November.
[/quote]

WOW :astonished: I hope this stuff stays out of the international news. This is one aspect where I know we’re not going to be like China. All of this will be broadcast around the world, because we care about free speech. :blah: And if the protestors get supressed, that will be a biggerstory than the Olympics.

Canada had better win lots and lots of medals. :smiley:

You might likethis too:

The vid is a littleracist,but the responses in the forum are pretty diverse.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]I am very bothered by this:
timesonline.co.uk/tol/I’m sick of this. Is Al Qaeda really that strong? Threatening China is not like threatening the US in the days of Obama, unlike Obama, China might actually do something.

I hope China squashes them. It’s getting clear no western country seems to be able to do so.

I’m angry. :fume:[/quote]

Frankly, I would like to see them cripple the heck out of each other.

In my opinion, at most, perhaps China will simply pressure Algeria financially in some way and continue to kick anyones ass it wants to within Xinjiang.

It seems like China is on the balance between being a major world power and totally drowning from its own crumbling weight as it eats itself. Any global actions that were too costly would probably be social suicide. In my view, that is one of the reasons why China is not doing too much about its renegade bomb tossing neighbor who is making waves with Japan, SK, and the US as you read this post. To be honest, with such an unstable border as North Korea on one side, and Xinjiang and Tibet on the other, I bet China doesn’t know what to do besides shut down facebook and crack skulls. International war games are probably too much for China to deal with at the moment.

Also, I can’t help feeling like Al-Qaeda is really a joke with a long internet reach. I mean, a small group of wackos who claims to be able to take on the Western world and China at the same time. Wow. To be honest, I think Al-Qaeda is the worst enemy of the Muslim people because all they will achieve is a grim future for Muslims.

Am I wrong here? I would like to expand on this out of personal interest for sure. Remember, I am trying to learn here, not so much give a solid factual opinion. So teach, don’t flame. :slight_smile: