Alan's Mountain Bike has moved, sort of

They’re now two doors down from their original location (towards the traffic circle). The new place is behind a fruit vendor, so no more showroom, but now you can eat a banana while waiting for your bike to be fixed. They said the landlord decided to up the rent after 20 years, forcing them to relocate. Group rides to Maokong still take place every Saturday.

1 Like

Landlord raising rent is epic bs, but let’s not get into that.

Glad to hear they didn’t have to close down. Alan’s is quite the staple in Taipei in terms of teaching those to ride mtn bikes. I had a few friends that swore that Alan and his mechanics were the best in the city.

I like him better than some of the bigger and more flashy Giant shops. You get a sense of mom and pop shop more than Giant shop when you walk into Alan’s.

Not sure this is the best thread for this query, but are there any mountain biking groups that meet around Taipei regularly, aside from Alan’s?

I picked up a new mountain bike from Alan’s when he was in the process of relocating, having been on a group ride with him pre-purchase. I’ll probably go on some others with him occasionally in the future, but wondered if there were other groups meeting up every now and then.

My knowledge of trails around Taipei is pretty much non-existent, though I’ve had a look at some older threads for ideas.

Which bike did you get?

Specialized flag ship store over in Dazhi does some mountain bike rides, but not as frequent as Alan.

I have a friend that frequently goes on trips down to Taichung/Zhanghua area to mountain bike. They hire a driver that takes them down from Taipei and back the same day. I have to guess it adds up, but I have seen his FB posts and heard him talk about that trails down south are so much better than Taipei.

All I know is the trail coming down from Helen’s Coffee on Wuzhishan and a very very short trail on Jianan Road.

Trance 2, 2017 model.

nice !

Yeah, literally, both him and his wife run the place. He has a millenial daughter but he still looks about 40 with his long black hair. He says biking keeps him young. I’ll say.