Alaska Governor Sarah Palin - McCain's choice for VP

‘Ridiculous and irrelevant historical comparisons.’

I thought the point of history was to use its examples to measure the potential of present examples and circumstances, since we obviously can’t know the future and we, as neurotic humans, need a little security, and that often comes from drawing certainty from an examination of historical precedent and context.

People are doubting this woman with no possible way to know how she’ll pan out, so I just pointed out some historically successful presidents who came seemingly out of nowhere (excepting Washington, of course). I’m sure there are as many examples of failures, and others will dig those up. Good for them.

I haven’t seen anything to make me think she’s a failed pick right from the start. She looked spunky, fearless, underwhelmed by the international spotlight. Unlike the polished professional politicians who dazzle people with scripted rhetoric, she said what she thought.

Her 20 minutes on stage today alread is making people forget Denver.

[quote=“the_average_white_man”]‘Ridiculous and irrelevant historical comparisons.’

I thought the point of history was to use its examples to measure the potential of present examples and circumstances, since we obviously can’t know the future and we, as neurotic humans, need a little security, and that often comes from drawing certainty from an examination of historical precedent and context.

People are doubting this woman with no possible way to know how she’ll pan out, so I just pointed out some historically successful presidents who came seemingly out of nowhere (excepting Washington, of course). I’m sure there are as many examples of failures, and others will dig those up. Good for them.

I haven’t seen anything to make me think she’s a failed pick right from the start. She looked spunky, fearless, underwhelmed by the international spotlight. Unlike the polished professional politicians who dazzle people with scripted rhetoric, she said what she thought.

Her 20 minutes on stage today alread is making people forget Denver.[/quote]

Right of course history has the use you mention. But often historical comparisons are “irrelevant” and “ridiculous” because the situations are not comparable, or the comparison is made incorrectly. Like comparing proposals to talk to Iran with agreeing to Hitler’s demands in Munich.
I think you were talking about some old presidents not having any education, like it has any relevance now. But I can’t be sure as it seems your post was deleted for using some bad words.

My first impression was to hide my head and cry. Absolutely a bad choice.
On the positive side, if this is what I can expect in choices, maybe I need to do a big re-evaluation anyway.
I really really like McCain. I went to Nam and although I wasn’t a POW, I knew what they went through and he has my deepest heartfelt sympathy. But, come on. This is back in the world and Palin? What are ya thinkin? Smoke another doobie! It’ll come to ya.

Is she perhaps related to Michael Palin?

I wonder how many people turned McCain down?

Why are they spending money on an election? Hell, support some homeless people or feed the disadvantaged. That would get the republicans more mileage than continuing with this fiasco. What a waste.

Support the homeless or feed the disadvantaged???
The Republican party??? :laughing:

Sorry! Too much smoke.

Wow Palin used her influence as gov. to have her brother-in-law fired as a highway patrolman because of messy divorce with her sister. Not only that the bother-in-law supervisor was also pushed out of the job for not being a team player about it.

Corrupt backwater state with highway and bridge projects going no where.

Just what we need another administration that uses the office to enact revenge on behalf of family members.

Yeah, okay, this isn’t Canada.

Yeah, I know. In Canada, everyone’s a hockey mom or dad.
Hey, I don’t know any much of thing about Palin. The little I’ve heard is a mixed bag, politically and personally, though leaning towards the positive.

Hell, I would be happy to know negative or positive, The previous poster about the cop thing was the first negative or positive thing I heard about her. Anybody know who this person is? What did she vote for over the last 2 years? Guess, I will have to resort to the internet to find out about my next possible President of the United States! Hell, my head is down and crying again. Maybe not enough testosterone. It is truly a sad day.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Wow Palin used her influence as gov. to have her brother-in-law fired as a highway patrolman because of messy divorce with her sister. Not only that the bother-in-law supervisor was also pushed out of the job for not being a team player about it.

Corrupt backwater state with highway and bridge projects going no where.

Just what we need another administration that uses the office to enact revenge on behalf of family members.

Yeah, okay, this isn’t Canada.[/quote]

Source?

[quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Governor Palin is currently under investigation by an independent investigator hired by the legislature[50] to determine if she abused her power when firing Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan.[51][52] On July 11, 2008, Palin dismissed Walter Monegan as Commissioner of Public Safety and instead offered him a position as executive director of the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, which he subsequently turned down.[53][54] Her power to fire him is not in dispute, however, Monegan alleged that his dismissal may have been an abuse of power tied to his reluctance to fire Palin’s former brother-in law, an Alaska State Trooper, Mike Wooten. In 2006, before Palin was governor, Wooten was briefly suspended for ten days for threatening to kill McCann’s (and Palin’s) father, tasering his 11-year-old stepson (at the stepson’s request), drinking beer in his squad car, and violating game laws. After a union protest, the suspension was reduced to five days.[55] Incidentally, Wooten had been involved in a divorce and child custody battle with Palin’s sister, Molly McCann.[56] Palin replaced Monegan with Chuck Kopp, who, as she knew, had previously been removed from supervision while he was investigated for and cleared of sexual harrassment of an employee.[57]

Palin said that her dismissal of Monegan was unrelated to the fact that he had not fired Wooten, and said that Monegan was instead dismissed for not adequately filling state trooper vacancies, and because he “did not turn out to be a team player on budgeting issues.”[58] Monegan claims that the two most-recent trooper graduating classes had the most recruits in years, and that Palin stated the audit Monegan provided made the administration look like it did not support the troopers.[59] Palin acknowledged that a member of her administration, Frank Bailey, did contact the Department of Public Safety regarding Wooten, but both Palin and Bailey say that happened without her knowledge and was unrelated to her dismissal of Monegan.[58] Bailey was put on leave for two months for acting outside the scope of his authority as the Director of Boards and Commissions. Commissioner Monegan received no severance pay, though at the same time another dismissed Commissioner, Charles Kopp (who served only 11 days) received $10,000.[60]

In response to Palin’s statement that she had nothing to hide, in August 2008 the Alaska Legislature hired Steve Branchflower to investigate Palin and her staff for possible abuse of power surrounding the dismissal. The investigation is being overseen by Democratic State Senator Hollis French, who is overseeing the investigation, says that the Palin administration has been cooperating and that subpoenas are unnecessary.[61] The Palin administration itself was the first to release an audiotape of Bailey making inquiries about the status of the Wooten investigation.[58][62]

Palin later admitted that members of her staff had made about two dozen contacts with public safety officials about the trooper, including at least one “smoking gun” conversation.[63][/quote]
The wrath of a woman with power…
Think of all the mischief she might cause in Iraq, if she gets pissed off at her son’s supervisor or God forbid if her son starts dating among the ranks.

I have no source to prove Canada is not part of the US…

Touche!

Biden is going to blow this Sarah chick out of the water in the VP debate.

Toast to the Republicans.

She has five kids, one of whom is serving in Iraq, and she is anti-choice.
A good little breeder to stand by McCain’s side. Republicans like women, as long as they are subservient little breeders who parrot the ideas men put into their mouths.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]It hasn’t been joked around by the water coolers of America that this is really a VP race.
Since McCain going to die right in office from advance age or medical complications or both. And Obama is going to be targetted by every supremacy group in the country.

[/quote]

“every supremacy group in the country”
:no-no:
You should stick to talking about China, at least you seem familiar with that country.

She’s pro-gun and anti-choice. Women will not vote for her.

The Republicans have strangled themselves with the abortion issue. McCain lost the election the day he came out so strongly as anti-choice. And now he has a little breeder “good mom” at his side who just loves babies. I imagine American women, republican or not, just took a collective hurl. She reminds me of the cowy women you see at anti-choice meetings apologizing for “stepping out of their place” by speaking at the podium.
I’m not even a woman and that stuff makes me sick.
Women will vote for a man who loves women, like Bill Clinton or Obama, before they will vote for a woman who represents going back to the kitchen and doing what she is told.

As a pro-life, small government proponent I could have liked someone like Palin but the troopergate baggage she carries paints her as just another member of the whacked-out, vindictive Cheney fringe of the Republican Party. The most problematic thing about her though and a thought that sends a chill through me is that she, just a small town mayor until two years ago, could end up as commander-in-chief of the United States at any moment.

I wouldn’t get too excited. I listened to her and thought, “Damn, they said Hillary had a ‘shrill-nagging’ voice”. This girl sounds like Fran Dresher on meth.

Thinking the women who supported Hillary are going to flock to McCain simply because he put some unknown female on the ticket, demonstrates the exact problem Repubs have with women voters.

This lady is a “right-wing-nut-job” who actually believes man was riding around on dinosaurs 5,000 years ago.

The only thing she has in common with Hillary Clinton is that they both have a set of ovaries.

Thinking woman will ignore her extreme whacky views, simply because she is a woman, shows the utter disdain that folks like McCain and the people who control the repub party have for women.

That’s like arguing that men will flock to Obama because they stand to pee.