Alcohol consumption map

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Alcoh … ld_map.PNG

Some of the dark spots are surprising–is that Uganda?–some… not :slight_smile:

Colder countries! More alcohol closer to the poles.

Ain’t that the truth! Although Iceland seems a little lighter colored than it should be. They drink like crazy up there. Based on my short time in Greenland, their color looks about right though.

Hungary, Ireland and Uganda!

Where’s Sanchong? A shitload of drinking goes on in my apartment!

you missed Moldova and Luxembourg!

There’s no shade of black dark enough for that

Ha! Ireland! :beer:

South Korea and Japan look like Asia’s top imbibing strongholds! I’d have guessed South Korea; didn’t know Japan was that much of a drinker’s paradise.

I notice that the Muslim countries are rather lightly colored. Perhaps I don’t get out much.

Neither do they.

I’m sure there are spikes in Sanchong and Jiayi, but perhaps not enough to get Taiwan ‘on the map’, as it were. :laughing:

I think this image offers a little more clarity, though the data is a bit older.
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: … ountry.svg

Taiwan isn’t really represented on the map because the data came from the WHO.

Top 10
Luxembourg 15.6
Ireland 13.7
Hungary 13.6
Moldova 13.2
Czech Republic 13
Croatia 12.3
Germany 12
United Kingdom 11.8
Denmark 11.7
Spain 11.7

Most of the Middle East countries are low because alcohol consumption is banned.

It’s not so much that it’s banned, but that you get your hands cut off if they catch you.

[quote=“Elf1nDrak3”]Top 10

1. Luxembourg 15.6
    .[/quote]

That is a sooo biased WHO analyzes.
I worked there thus having another rational behind:

Luxemburg is on the cross roads of Europe. Tobacco, Gazoil and Alcohol are (were?) tax free…
87 % of off take in gas stations and border shops is export, thus impossible to judge if consumers are Luxembourg citizens or not.
Yes, like for the Germans, Belgians and French, it is at a higher end, but not as dramatic :laughing:

Luxembourg 15.6[/quote]

Interesting that in the richest country on earth, per capita, the people are getting shitfaced. So much for the theory about it being linked to poverty and depravity.

Edit: Oops, I see ceevee369 has a very good explanation for it.

[quote=“ceevee369”][quote=“Elf1nDrak3”]Top 10

1. Luxembourg 15.6
    .[/quote]

That is a sooo biased WHO analyzes.
I worked there thus having another rational behind:

Luxemburg is on the cross roads of Europe. Tobacco, Gazoil and Alcohol are (were?) tax free…
87 % of off take in gas stations and border shops is export, thus impossible to judge if consumers are Luxembourg citizens or not.
Yes, like for the Germans, Belgians and French, it is at a higher end, but not as dramatic :laughing:[/quote]
ooh, good point. So is it really alcohol purchases that they’re measuring? I wonder if that has anything to do with the relative lightness of the Nordic countries. Alcohol is crazy expensive there and, at least in Iceland, pretty much every non-tourist entering the country is bringing along their max alcohol allowance (or smuggling in more)…

Haha, on that color coded map the Aussies and Kiwis are real boozers. No surprise there! I am surprised that SA is so lightly coloured… :ohreally:

Luxembourg 15.6
Ireland 13.7
Hungary 13.6
Moldova 13.2
Czech Republic 13
Croatia 12.3
Germany 12
United Kingdom 11.8
Denmark 11.7
Spain 11.7

Most of the Middle East countries are low because alcohol consumption is banned.[/quote]
Also surprised that not one of the three SANZAR countries are in the top 10.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]I think this image offers a little more clarity, though the data is a bit older.
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: … ountry.svg[/quote]
Bit of a better ranking on this one, though! :beer:

[quote=“bismarck”]Haha, on that color coded map the Aussies and Kiwis are real boozers. No surprise there! I am surprised that SA is so lightly coloured… :ohreally:

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]I think this image offers a little more clarity, though the data is a bit older.
Bit of a better ranking on this one, though! :beer:[/quote]
That is older data, though. Maybe you Saffies are slacking off. :slight_smile:
Yet, what’s with that yellow spot on SA in that link? Is that Lesotho or something some such?
What’s their story? They don’t seem to be picking up the pace…

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“bismarck”]Haha, on that color coded map the Aussies and Kiwis are real boozers. No surprise there! I am surprised that SA is so lightly coloured… :ohreally:

Bit of a better ranking on this one, though! :beer:[/quote]
That is older data, though. Maybe you Saffies are slacking off. :slight_smile:
Yet, what’s with that yellow spot on SA in that link? Is that Lesotho or something some such?
What’s their story? They don’t seem to be picking up the pace…[/quote]
Yep, that yellow spot would be Lesotho. Bunch of slackers.

I wonder, I don’t think they’re taking into account traditional beer. In many rural areas they brew their own traditional African beer and drink bucket loads (literally) of the stuff.

How’s that quaff? Smooth and velvety on the palate? I bet some of it would kick like a mule.
Do they at least chill it, or is it drunk taken like death warmed over?