Alien Resisdent Certificate(ARC) Cancel - Waiting for Work Permit?

Hi,

Well here is the thing,My ARC is actually valid till September 2013, However, This was Issued when I was a student doing my masters here. I have already graduate in Feb, So actually It has been nearly two months since I have been here. I was assuming that the only way I can get into trouble was if i exceeded SEP 2013, In the mean time I found a job (in mid FEB). The company told me that they are processing my work permit and just asked me to stay low and not tell anyone i am emploed since it is actually illegal.

It has been nearly a month but my company says the work permit is still under processing. The thing is that yesteday morning I got a letter from the Immigration Office saying that since the reason of ARC /resident permit (student) is over( I already graduated two months back) , I must now leave Taiwan before 5th April i.e next week.

My company has already applied the work permit but not sure when it will be completed. I am not sure how to proceed since i do not want to break the rules and overstay the arc. But I do have a proper contract and an offer plus a work permit under processing.l am planning to give a visit to the ARC office on Monday and tell them that I am waiting for the application to be completed and also show them the contract. However, I am not sure of the process and any advice how to deal with this situtation?

THanks a lot

Number 1: DO NOT, under any circunstance, overstay.

Number 2: the date on your ARC is for reference only. As the NIA has told you, once your reason for being here -i.e. studying- is over, your ARC is NO longer valid, NO matter what is written on it. At least they had the kindness of letting you know, if it was an employer, there is no reason for them to do it and you could be oversatying without really knowing -an employer has no obligation to let you know such things as your work permit’s cancellation date.

Number 3: your current “employer” is also in no rush to process the work permit. Overstaying/deportation is not his problem, it is yours. So, yes, you are doing the right thing going to NIA the soonest. Obviously, do not tell the NIA you are working, but do show the contract, tell them it is a firm offer, and they will probably extend your visa allowance for a period of time as long as teh company is legit and honest in regards to really processing your work permit on the alloted time. It is probable that when you go to the NIA they might suggest a visa run, as you will be changing visa status. This is a bit riskier but anything they do advice, do get it in writing.

Hi, THanks a lot for your reply, I guess one way out is that I go back to my home Country and then come back once the work permit gets done. Could you tell me what does “visa run” means- Do you refer to the process in which I have to go back so that the type of visa can be changed to working?

Thanks and appreciat your reply, I am pretty much understress since I am not sure how to proceed, Been waiting to hear a reply. Thanks again

[quote=“Icon”]Number 1: DO NOT, under any circunstance, overstay.

Number 2: the date on your ARC is for reference only. As the NIA has told you, once your reason for being here -i.e. studying- is over, your ARC is NO longer valid, NO matter what is written on it. At least they had the kindness of letting you know, if it was an employer, there is no reason for them to do it and you could be oversatying without really knowing -an employer has no obligation to let you know such things as your work permit’s cancellation date.

Number 3: your current “employer” is also in no rush to process the work permit. Overstaying/deportation is not his problem, it is yours. So, yes, you are doing the right thing going to NIA the soonest. Obviously, do not tell the NIA you are working, but do show the contract, tell them it is a firm offer, and they will probably extend your visa allowance for a period of time as long as teh company is legit and honest in regards to really processing your work permit on the alloted time. It is probable that when you go to the NIA they might suggest a visa run, as you will be changing visa status. This is a bit riskier but anything they do advice, do get it in writing.[/quote]
Hi, THanks a lot for your reply, I guess one way out is that I go back to my home Country and then come back once the work permit gets done. Could you tell me what does “visa run” means- Do you refer to the process in which I have to go back so that the type of visa can be changed to working?

Thanks and appreciat your reply, I am pretty much understress since I am not sure how to proceed, Been waiting to hear a reply. Thanks again

Not all the way to your home country -24 hours is usually needed to reste the clock, that’s all, Hong Kong and bangkok being destinations of choice. There are dozens of threads on this issue, have a look.

For starters:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … n#p1507236

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … n#p1504847

I am in a similar situation, so I didn’t want to create a new thread, hopefully I can still get some answers… :unamused:

SO, I’ve been studying Mandarin for the last 5-6 months and I have a -student?- ARC. I came here with a resident visa (having paid for a full 1 year -4 terms-) in legal terms I’ve been an ARC holder since last September 11.

I’ve been looking for jobs and it so happens that I might be getting one quite soon, as in in a month. So I want to know what I will be required to do to get a work permit under these circumstances.
Now I have two questions,

1. Will I have to do a Visa-run (my current ARC is valid until July 11) or can I just apply for a new ARC as I understand after reading Section F of the backpage of Multi-Purpose Application form for Foreigners http://iff.immigration.gov.tw/public/Data/0991064471.pdf?

2. I have heard or read somewhere (totally forgot which) that I will have to prove my work experience or provide my soon-to-be employer with a proof so that they can get a work permit for me.
    Well, I have worked for three years in my home country, but I have no paperwork with me. I can get a letter from my former boss stating that I worked there with official seals, signatures etc. and have it translated into English, do you think it will be enough? :ponder: (I worked as a sales rep and now applying for the same position)

3. While bargaining for salary, HR guy asked me if that ~48K minimum legal standard is specifically a per month rule OR would it be okay to have it as average per month? It’s a rather big company with around 3000 employees and I found this question rather disturbing :loco: , still I cannot quite answer it. Does anyone here know anything about it?

Main sources of the info I got are:

http://iff.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1086934&ctNode=29928&mp=T002
http://laws.cla.gov.tw/Eng/EngContent.asp?msgid=42
http://www.evta.gov.tw/eng/topicsite/content.asp?mfunc_id=121&func_id=121&type_id=0&cata_id=0&site_id=1&id=24391&mcata_id=&SearchDataValue=

I’ve been searching through the web for couple of days now, honestly, but I cannot get the answers for these questions. I am really confused about a lot of things, and I might have written in a confusing way, so I would like to apologize and also thank you in advance for your understanding. :notworthy:

Cheers,
S.