Alishan or Sun Moon Lake

Mother Hill is coming to Taiwan, and I am going to take her away for a few days, Tuesday to Thursday afternoon. But I don’t know which will be a better spot, Alishan or Sun Moon Lake. I have been to neither, so would appreciate some advice.

I’m also taking her to Hualien from Friday to Sunday, so my choice for the above would be the least knackering, and with the most relaxation…

What’s wrong with yang ming shan? Some nice hotels up there; hot springs, and mountain hikes. Tea houses. And you don’t have to travel through the ugliness of Taiwan to get to SMLake, which, albeit nice, is not a world class vacation spot, and will surely be overrun with locos.

She is coming for 15 days…

Day 1: Danshuei
Day 2: Jin shan
Days 3-5 Sun Moon Lake?
Days 6-8 Hualien
Day 9: Taipei
Day 10: Palace museum
Day 11: Yang ming shan
Day 12: Taipei
Day 13: Taichung
Day 14: Lun gang
Day 15: Wu-chi/ Da ken

Thats the plan.

You’re taking her to Wuchi? Man, that’s harsh! I don’t care WHAT she did to you when you were a child, she’s still your mother, dammit! Show a little respect!

Why not go up to Ching Jing Farm at the top of the mountain near Sun Moon Lake? It’s very nice up there, ANDI hear they gots a Starbucks!

Just booked 2 nights at the Teachers Hostel at Sun Moon Lake. Very expensive, 4,200 NT per night. Oh, well.

Wuchi has a pretty cool harbour.

JDsmith, thanks for the tip about the farm, I will let you know how the coffee tasted!

Tough call.

I would take her to Sun Moon Lake because I love bodies of water.

There is a really nice Pagoda that is about 8 stories high that you can climb up to have a view of the lake and surrounding area. It’s gorgeous.

Both have great hiking.

Both have good tourist infrastructure. Both can get crowded at times.

The sunset/sunrise at Alishan is something not to be missed.

You could really do both if you have a vehicle.

JDguide wrote [quote]Why not go up to Ching Jing Farm at the top of the mountain near Sun Moon Lake? [/quote]
Nice enough, but isn’t it too “western” - the locals go there for a taste of a foreign farm, in particular to see exotic “ke-ai” creatures such as sheep and cows.

sun moon lake is awesome

the farm is as stated ho hum, and wow a tarbuck… what a drawcard :slight_smile:

Nice enough, but isn’t it too “western” - the locals go there for a taste of a foreign farm, in particular to see exotic “ke-ai” creatures such as sheep and cows.[/quote]

Well, when’s the last time Tom’s Mom has seen a sheep?

[quote]sun moon lake is awesome

the farm is as stated ho hum, and wow a $tarbuck$… what a drawcard Smile[/quote]

I lived in taichung for 4 years and made many weekend get out of the city trips to SML. I was never really impressed with the place, or with the dirty dusty drive out there, except for the beetle nut babes going into Puli.

I liked the farm because the drive up was nice, and there are few people there. After the drive, I’d about killed for a strabucks hoppohooppa frappawhatnot thing.

[quote=“TomHill”]Just booked 2 nights at the Teachers Hostel at Sun Moon Lake. Very expensive, 4,200 NT per night. Oh, well.

JDsmith, thanks for the tip about the farm, I will let you know how the coffee tasted![/quote]

The Teach hostel is 4200? For what? Two rooms? Surely not a double (two beds)? This must be the rack rate. Ask for a discount.

In any case, I don’t recommend it for you and mom as it’s a walk up from the village making it inconvenient to get to cafes, restaurants, the boardwalk, buses, etc. And parts of the walk up where not lit up last time I was there. Your mom may not like that.

Also, the view is not as nice as a place right on the water. Stay at somewhere like the Apollo or El Dorado. Right on the lake, balcony views, and right below a string of attractive cafes now along the water’s edge.

You may think the teach hostel will be more quiet and intimate, but it really feels more like it’s out of the way. The only plus is it’s right by the Lalu for lunch or dinner.

Thanks MM. However…
I got a Taiwanese person to call the El Dorado, cos they will get it cheaper than me, and the quoted price was 4,800 nt per night.
Gonna look into some of those cheap house type deals…

[quote=“TomHill”]Just booked 2 nights at the Teachers Hostel at Sun Moon Lake. Very expensive, 4,200 NT per night. Oh, well.

JDsmith, thanks for the tip about the farm, I will let you know how the coffee tasted![/quote]I like the Teachers’ Hostel. Had a very nice 2-night stay there at CNY. My mum and stepfather liked it too. Just a short stroll from the village, and a nice cafe on the way up.

The harbour at Wuqi isn’t that nice. I’ve been there about 5 times, simply because sometimes I just need to get out and see the sea. You could go a little north of there – some nice bucolic scenes.

[quote=“jdsmith”]Why not go up to Ching Jing Farm at the top of the mountain near Sun Moon Lake? It’s very nice up there, ANDI hear they gots a Starbucks![/quote]Qingjing’s a fair ride/drive from SML, particularly at weekends or in the summer holidays. But you do get to see the high mountain scenery.

Actually, Dongpu in the Yushan National Park near Alishan is probably a similar distance from SML and it’s probably nicer and also quieter. I haven’t been there yet but I want to go.

[quote=“TomHill”]Thanks MM. However…
I got a Taiwanese person to call the El Dorado, cos they will get it cheaper than me, and the quoted price was 4,800 nt per night.
Gonna look into some of those cheap house type deals…[/quote]
Bloody Norah! :astonished: We stayed at the El Dorado last year (or maybe the year before) for NT$2,200 with a lake view and a balcony!

I like the teachers hostel too but I prefer the village. Were the prices what TomHill is describing? I can’t believe they are correct.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]
I like the teachers hostel too but I prefer the village. Were the prices what TomHill is describing? I can’t believe they are correct.[/quote]

Well, what other conclusion could you draw?

I’ll set you a challenge Muzha Man, if you find me a twin room in either, for less than 4200 nt per night at the Teachers Hostel, or 4800per night at El Dorado, I will buy you lunch. But it must be for next Tuesday and Wednesday nights, which are tomb sweeping days btw.

Providing I’ve pulled out the right business card.

There’s a minsu across the road from El Dorado. No views (well, there’s a view of the El Dorado, does that count?). But, when I was there last December, it was $1200 per night. Quite decent, better hot water than my apartment. And, when I returned to the minsu at around 3pm, after walking to Wenwu temple and back, the owner (sweet middle aged women) after seeing how exhausted I was, knocked on the door and gave me 3 oranges and a can of beer. Free.

Anyway, I don’t know the name of the place (I can’t read Chinese), but the phone number is 04 9285 5129 (as long as I’ve pulled out the right business card)… The owners mother speaks some English if that’s necessary.