Alishan Ride last weekend

Drew Kerslake has a great write up of our ride to Alishan this weekend. His pictures are especially enjoyable.

taiwanincycles.blogspot.com/2010 … ntain.html

My write-up
michaelturton.blogspot.com/2010/ … iding.html

Map of the ride:

maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie … 64702&z=12

Damn. Fine ride. Great pioneering spirit guys.

Looks like there are some “easier” routes on the second day: head to Ruili and not up to Fenqihu which is 600m or so higher.

Question: on the way down the 159 crosses the Provincial 3. How does it look around there? The 3 heads down toward Zengwen Reservior and Guanziling, which are beautiful areas. Basically I am working on/dreaming of the best route from taipei to kenting that would minimize riding through Taiwan’s blighted urban environment.

Fantastic ride guys, I wish I’d not had commitments that weekend, but I’m totally on board for the next installment. Makes me even more sure the cyclocross build I’m planning is just the ticket for this kind of adventure.

Nice!
I was planning on doing that in the summer, but unstable weather thwarted the attempt. Let me know about the next one, I’m interested in joining up.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Damn. Fine ride. Great pioneering spirit guys.

Looks like there are some “easier” routes on the second day: head to Ruili and not up to Fenqihu which is 600m or so higher.[/quote]

Yeah, but it is gorgeous up there among the cedars and bamboos. Also, some of the blogs said they trouble with missing road along that stretch so we decided not to mess with it. Another time.

At the point at which it crosses its a pretty standard built up area with tea shops, motorcycle repair, etc. But we rode 3 from Chiayi to Taichung in Jan and it is rolling and nice until you get to just south of Jhushan with some tourist traffic around Gukeng. South of Chiayi, can’t help you. I’ve been itching to take 3 from Dongpu to 21 past the reservoir and over the mountains for some time…

Let me know when you make your break for Kenting, I’ll keep you company part of the way.

[quote=“Wookiee”]Nice!
I was planning on doing that in the summer, but unstable weather thwarted the attempt. Let me know about the next one, I’m interested in joining up.[/quote]

I’ll post it here.

I rode the 3 to the 159 and then mack to Taichung on the 19 a while back and it is just a beautiful road after Zhushan. Easy rollers the whole way.
Here is my ride report from the 3 to Chiayi: taiwanincycles.blogspot.com/2010 … tting.html

Great write-up & pics :thumbsup:.