All about your plants

Why so? Works OK for me, although it does take a while to germinate.

Seeds can be bit hit-and-miss; I think they have quite a short viability period (ie., they can’t be stored very long).

Also … all the mainstream advice tells you to crush the outer shells, but I’ve found this results in worse germination. Maybe I’m being bit heavy-handed.

Or do you mean culantro? That stuff seems to just die for no good reason.

1 Like

Your collection is AWESOME!!!

1 Like

The flowers are blooming !!!

1 Like

Same here :sleepy:

Well that’s disappointing. I’ve been toying with the idea of trying to start some herbs on my balcony and cilantro was the first thing I wanted to plant.

Starting my garden may be a bust anyway because I have the worst luck with house plants. Even my one pothos, which is supposed to be indestructible, is scrawny and weak looking. Does anyone have any advice for a first-time balcony herb garden?

Mint mint mint mint

3 Likes

Plus basil. Grows like crazy.

2 Likes

It really does. My basil seedlings sprouted nearly instantaneously.

Need to get me some mint…

1 Like

I get much better results buying a basil plant and then digging it in. I found that when growing it from seed the plants were a bit weak. Sort of growing along the ground instead of upwards.

Noted. I’m having fun just watching them grow, though.

My friend recently gave me a cutting that’s started taking off. Anyone know what this is called?

Begonia?

Also get some rosemary. An azalea is nice

1 Like

Well, it’s vine-y and I don’t think it’s gonna flower. It looks like it’s just gonna keep going and going until it’s very long.

I wouldn’t get too close to it. Looks like it might bite off a finger or two.

I’ve been fighting what appears to be downy mildew that started with store-bought basil and spread to other plants. Seemed to go away for awhile but now it’s back, attacking the citrus seedlings.

Got enough sunlight?

1 Like

Not really. But it’s usually pretty windy.

How feasible would it be to swipe a cutting from the numerous azalea bushes growing around my neighborhood and propagate a plant from that?

A lack of sunlight can lead to various mold issues, in my experience. Try to put them in the best spot at least

I’d just buy one at the store, pretty cheap :slight_smile: But:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/azalea/propagating-azalea-cuttings.htm

2 Likes

I’m going back to Canada for 2 months. Can I leave my snake plants on my balcony with no water and a lil sunlight? I have 6 of them and will fall into a depression if they die. My balcony is right beside the ocean so maybe if we get a typhoon they can kinda get some water?

Would it be better to keep them inside where it’s not as hot so they don’t dry out as quickly? Or is it going to be RIP to my little buddies.