Free Press

Democratically elected government

Authorities willing to admit when something is wrong. coughSARScough

Religious Freedom

Standard of living

Worker rights

Gay rights

Family rights

Actually trying to protect the masses when disease comes to Taiwan.

Depending on where you are comparing. There are places in the mainland the size of European countries that have extremely high standard of living.

In Taiwan? You are kidding right?

This one I would just put under the general “enforceable legal framework” category… Taiwan may be more developed in this area, I suppose.

No one disputes the fact that certain pockets in China the size of Luxembourg and Andorra have extremely high standards of living. Shanghai, for example, though only certain neighborhoods (those millions of migrant workers aren’t exactly living high on the hog). Show me a province in China the size of England or France with standards of living as high as found in Taiwan.

Taiwan’s agricultural sector is one of the best. Many efficient ways of growing things even in unsuitable areas. Taiwan has many experts in this field.

Also think Taiwan’s environmental laws and protection is waaayyy better than China’s.

China is clearly the winner in these areas:

nose picking
phlegm coughing
spitting
public urinating
burping

[quote=“whiskas2”]China is clearly the winner in these areas:

nose picking
phlegm coughing
spitting
public urinating
burping[/quote]

Guess who wins betel nut juice spitting and sandal wearing? How about ground kissing? LOL…

Shanghainese win the wearing pajamas out in public award.

I believe you met some Taiwanese businessmen! LOL…

I believe you met some Taiwanese businessmen! LOL…[/quote]

Zeugmite,

You must be one of Elmer Fang’s cleaning ladies. So he taught you how to use the Internet as well.

:smiling_imp:

I believe you met some Taiwanese businessmen! LOL…[/quote]

Rediculous. I lived in a Shanghainese neighborhood. I can’t count the number of times I saw people leaving their homes in the morning to go to eat breakfast in their PJs. And they were most certainly speaking Shanghainese, NOT Taiwanese. Typical anti-Taiwanese moronic statements from the Zeug!

You don’t get the joke, do you? Maybe you don’t know what Taiwanese businessmen do on their trips.

[quote=“ludahai”]
Typical anti-Taiwanese moronic statements from the Zeug![/quote]

Owwwie… high standards for someone so typified a mere four columns hence.

Zeug, I don’t care what Taiwanese businessmen do on their trips. THat is between them and their families. However, Shanghainese people aren’t the enlightened, modern people that they are always made out to be. I have heard a joke from some Hong Kong people having something to do with you know a person if Shanghainese by what they wear outside in the morning, referring to their PJs!!!

And what is the relationship between enlightenment and modernity to wearing pajamas? I believe – zippo.

Yeah because the enlightened modern people in the 23rd century walk around in their pajamas at work all the time, on Star Trek.

Taiwan doesn’t suffer from the culture of victimization and the resentfulness of an overwhelming inferiority complex in the same way as their brothers on the other side of the strait.

Good sarcasm. Please tell that joke to the greens.

And what is the relationship between enlightenment and modernity to wearing pajamas? I believe -- zippo.

What’s the relationship between Pajamas and civilization?

A pajama-clad Groucho Marx came to the aid of Magaret Dumot in Animal Crackers.

Hugh Heffner changing the puritan mores of a boring nation wearing nothing but red silk pajamas.

Also don’t forget about those pajamas-clad Vietcongs…

Whenever I go to China or meet people that spent most of their life in the PRC, they seem rather stiff and humorless. Strange actually and quite noticably different from Taiwan people which are more outgoing and personable. The Cultural Revolution really did something to those people.

I would say that the people from Taiwan are also…[deleted poor attempt to keep this on topic in this thread about…All the areas in which Taiwan is more evolved than China…]

more advanced? what does that mean? i sense that taiwanese only think they are more sophisticated than mainlanders, but both are just a few generations (if that) from being country bumpkins.

I see people in China full of life. Despite all their struggles, they still manage to move on, not lose complete hope, and survive, and even maintain a sense of humor. of course, there are darker stories, and exceptions to my observations. don’t get me wrong, i met some bad people in china too.
however, i have always noted that older civilizations, china and taiwan both, create citizens that are very jaded. ‘oh such and such injustice, it’s always been there, always will be. I can’t do anything about it. You’re a fool to be so idealistic.’