All things Labrador

Lost looking for my way to Neihu, I came across this store. It’s devoted to Labradors and it seems like they even have them for sale there,pure breed that is. I saw a bunch of cute puppies in the window. If anyone is interested here’s the address

Labradorian
xiao fuxing east road sec 4 alley 553 lane 22 number 6-1
02-2765-9696

http://www.labrador.com.tw

It’s a bad idea to buy a puppy from a pet store here. The store owners either don’t know what they’re doing (since pet ownership is a new idea imported from the West), or they are venal thieves only interested in making a quick buck, and customer service be damned.
The pets bought at pet stores are often unhealthy. They often don’t have even the basic vaccinations. Dogs from pet stores often have distemper. Try getting your money back when the overpriced puppy you bought drops dead two weeks later from a preventable disease caught in the pet store.
The owners don’t care or don’t know about things like inbreeding and keeping the bloodlines healthy.
As for the ridiculously high price of “purebreds” here – they don’t know about the difference between pet quality and show quality, and so think all purebreds should cost the show quality amount.
And have you seen some of the dogs they claim are purebreds? Taiwan and ethical business practices don’t necessarily go together.

[quote=“bababa”]It’s a bad idea to buy a puppy from a pet store here. The store owners either don’t know what they’re doing (since pet ownership is a new idea imported from the West), or they are venal thieves only interested in making a quick buck, and customer service be damned.
The pets bought at pet stores are often unhealthy. They often don’t have even the basic vaccinations. Dogs from pet stores often have distemper. Try getting your money back when the overpriced puppy you bought drops dead two weeks later from a preventable disease caught in the pet store.
The owners don’t care or don’t know about things like inbreeding and keeping the bloodlines healthy.
As for the ridiculously high price of “purebreds” here – they don’t know about the difference between pet quality and show quality, and so think all purebreds should cost the show quality amount.
And have you seen some of the dogs they claim are purebreds? Taiwan and ethical business practices don’t necessarily go together.[/quote]

I have seen the pet stores that you are talking about, and you are right about not buying one from here. But with this store I got the sense that it was family joint, and the older labs,parents, were still with the puppies. Nonetheless, the information is just there in case some one should like to check it out… :laughing:

Whilst I appreciate your gesture of directing people to a ‘quality’ puppy supplier, Namahottie, I would urge anyone interested in acquiring a dog to consider adopting an unwanted pet.

Labs have become the fashionable pet to own, ‘thanks’ to the movie Quill. If you really want a Lab, I promise you need only wait a few more months before they start being abandoned at shelters and on the streets, just like those dogs previously considered fashionable, such as Dalmations (also after a movie), Beagles, and Huskys.

Please, consider adopting a stray before supporting the puppy mills, and be sure to spay or neuter your pet. The stray problem here can only end if we cut it off at the source.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]
Labs have become the fashionable pet to own, ‘thanks’ to the movie Quill. If you really want a Lab, I promise you need only wait a few more months before they start being abandoned at shelters and on the streets, just like those dogs previously considered fashionable, such as Dalmations (also after a movie), Beagles, and Huskys.

.[/quote]

Completely agree – and it’s not just that they get turfed onto the streets, but that the bitches are whelped so often to make the owners money that a lot of the pups are sickly. My first dog here was a beagle pup, brought home as a surprise from my boyfriend just after the Cats and Dogs movie. Poor little thing lasted three weeks and we were just offered another little sickly one, as if they were an electrical appliance that had broken :astonished:

As we all know, it’s not just the dogs that need training in Taiwan.

Labradors are wonderful dogs, and I recommend them to anyone - who wants a Labrador. Labradors are not independent dogs. They don’t do well in an apartment all day by themselves, as they get bored/lonely easily. They like to sleep in the same room as their owners. They are very easily trained (in fact, they crave it), and they make wonderful companions. They’re great with children too. They love exercise, especially anything water-related. Splashing around in lakes, streams and puddles is sheer joy to a Lab.

However, buying a purebred Labrador in Taiwan isn’t a simple thing. I’ve said this in other threads:

Great post, Maoman.

Would you be willing to write something up about the ins-and-outs of responsible Lab ownership for the animal welfare Web site we’re developing? We’re hoping to have it up in English and Chinesel if it stops only one Lab being bought then dumped out of ignorance, then it will be worth your efforts, I’m sure you’ll agree. It’s vitally important now that Labs are the fashionable breed of choice in Taiwan.

We will, of course, post a link for Forumosa on the Web site! :wink: