All Westerners Work at Buxibans?

Lap Dancer. I noticed there are eight others. That must be why business has been so slow. The market is saturated.

Your poll is also missing ‘Engineer/Technician’ and ‘B ushiban owner’.

If anyone has the nerve to insinuate I’m an English teacher I ask them if they operate a taxi or food stall. That usually gets the point across that should think for themselves instead of relying on stereotypes.

OTOH, does it really matter to you if these people automatically stereotype you as being American, non-Mandarin or Taiwanese speaking, English teaching, overpaid, beer swilling molester of innocent Taiwanese teenagers here for a quick buck and on to the next 3rd world parasdise? Who actually gives a shit what these people think?

I don’t really care but I’m sick of being asked by people in the street to work at their buxiban. Yesterday I was asked to be in a commercial playing a detective! What on earth do they want with a plump, greying, bearded westerner with glasses? Doesn’t fit my idea of “Law & Order” And I can’t act for toffee :frowning:

[quote=“pjdrib”]I’m sick of being asked by people in the street to work at their buxiban.[/quote]Do you look like you need a job, walking along slowly, looking lost, not too well dressed? No offence intended, but I have to ask. When you move around looking not just like you belong here, but actually own the place, you get a lot less attention.
I never get approached by strangers, but then I hardly ever walk anywhere. (No sidewalks down here in Tai/chung)

The buxiban offers come waiting outside the kids school wearing my designer ragged shirt & stained jeans - maybe I should leave the gin bottle at home and do up my fly.

The film offer came as I was striding purposefuly to work up Dunhua road, dressed in black carrying a NYC police id badge around my neck shouting “Book him Danno” at the OJ vendors.

Oh well, that didn’t work out quite as planned. :blush: :help:

I don’t work at Bushiban I teach at Junior and Senior High School. I hate teaching in Bushiban, it’s worse than having needles shoved in my eyes. But then as I tell everyone who asks if I work at Kindergarten or Bushiban, I really hate small children so I don’t teach them. It’s often awfully quiet after that.

That sounds like a good comeback! I might use that in future, if you don’t mind?

I don’t care. That’s why I like to try out new and different responses to these commonly asked questions.

Cheers

Oh well, that didn’t work out quite as planned. :blush: :help:[/quote]

None taken! I was attempting feeble humour.

[quote=“pjdrib”]
None taken! I was attempting feeble humour.[/quote]Oh, it was hilarious. Just the lack of a :wink: at the end got me thinking I’d pushed the wrong button (or the right one!). :smiley:

Look - it’s the white man’s version of working at a Chinese laundry / Chinese restauruant

You mean you actually waste the time and energy to get upset?

People who ask me that get embarrased after I tell them what I REALLY do

What if you are asked “Are you an English teacher?” by a food stall laoban or taxi driver?

What if you are asked “Are you an English teacher?” by a food stall laoban or taxi driver?[/quote]I tell them I don’t discuss my personal business with people that didn’t finish highschool. :wink:

[quote=“pjdrib”]The buxiban offers come waiting outside the kids school wearing my designer ragged shirt & stained jeans - maybe I should leave the gin bottle at home and do up my fly. quote]

HELL that’s one of the funniest things I’ve read here by far!!
Wanna come join my circus??? LOL

When people ask me whether I work in the stock market I tell them I’m an English teacher. Works especially well when you’re wearing a Reginald Perrin pinstripe suit, Oxford brogues and cufflinks. I kid you not. Yes I always dress like the fucking chairman of the Bank of England to go to work in a buxiban AT SIX O’CLOCK IN THE MORNING!!!

I caught the MRT from Tienmu Jishan Station at 7:30am last week to get to Xindian with my toolbox, coax and gear and people asked me if I was a teacher? I told em I’m just a handy man… When they ask me what I fix, I reply… I fix broken hearts…

Even the foreigners stare at me aghast at what the hell I might be doing… damn I must be fitting in real well.

I caught the MRT from Tienmu Jishan Station at 7:30am last week to get to Xindian with my toolbox, coax and gear and people asked me if I was a teacher? I told em I’m just a handy man… When they ask me what I fix, I reply… I fix broken hearts…

Even the foreigners stare at me aghast at what the hell I might be doing… damn I must be fitting in real well.

I reply that, yes, sadly it’s true. I do work far fewer hours than the person asking the question, but somehow contrive to earn substatially more.

But I have other interests, which means that I can neatly turn the tables and say “Are you looking for a job? Why not send me your CV?” That flumoxes them.