Alleged police/judicial corruption in Taipei/Wanhua ("I was attacked on vacation")

binglang and goaliaong

1 Like

That’s like “wettest ocean” or something

:rofl:

They got shut down for people engaging in sexual acts in the club on the sofas and private tables.
Now it has a new name.
They seriously didn’t give a shit.

I would go to the media with this one. Taiwan loves its half true repuation of being friendly to tourists. ‘Unless gangsters are involved’ is a detail i am sure they would much prefer kept under wraps.

But still, you dont have much of a story if we can’t get an explanation as to why you were attacked in the first place.

Getting randomly attacked is pretty uncommon. I’ve spent a ton of time in ximending and long shan temple area and never felt unsafe.

1 Like

I regret nothing :smile:

I’m almost certain these weren’t random and for no reason. I’m not saying they deserved but I doubt they didn’t do anything that would cause the other party to do that. Bouncers don’t just beat people up for no reason, it’s bad for the club to see and bad for business to do that to clients. I’ve worked in that industry and I’ve spent a lot of time in clubs. Every time they do it it’s because they are causing problems like being too drunk, harassing girls, starting fights etc. These foreign students got their asses kicked once and tried to call the cops. I was there to help translate because they spoke no Chinese. I figured out the story didn’t add up with them playing victim and got them to admit one of their friends started fights. The rest of their friends unfortunately had to pay for their friends actions being part of the group.

As for girls; it doubt it was that they went and talk to a girl normally. They def did something inappropriate or didn’t back off and escalated it. I 100% guarantee nothing would have happened even if they just talk to the girl and some guy said to back off and they did and apologized. That’s what I do when I’m in a place I don’t know and especially at a foreign country. If I’m at the clubs I used to frequent and know the owner to the bouncer I might get a little cheeky. There’s a lot of things I’ll stand my ground on, but getting shot, stabbed, jumped for a random girl at a club is not one of them.

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: From corrupt

Oh yes it’s believable that witnesses lie, cops lose papers in dodgy districts , somebody opens defamation case etc. I myself was dragged through the courts, it’s messy and filing spurious lawsuits is a national hobby.

But some of the other stuff seems a bit over the top.
Vacation that turns into 8 months stay just because of this case ?

Greetings Tando-

The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) only provided me with a list of English speaking attorneys to hire.

AIT cannot help with legal issues because they have no jurisdiction in local Taiwanese courts, and they have to stay neutral because of “political reasons.”

However, just being able to speak in my native English tongue to someone and have them speaking English back was very soothing for someone who just got attacked in a foreign country.

All the best.

-M

Greetings Nuit-

The reason I think I was attacked by the criminal is as follows:

I am a very shy and introverted individual. I usually do not talk to strangers or people I do not know. I avoid all eye contact with people I do not know.

In America, we tend to “physically distance ourselves,” ignore, and avoid all people that physically approach you who appear to be “dangerous, mentally unstable, or seem engaged in illicit/shady dealings.”

The criminal who attacked me looks like thug, walks like a thug, and acts like a thug.

I avoided and ignored him as he tried to engage in conversation with me multiple times.

In America, when you ignore someone, they leave you alone because they get the hint you want privacy.

However, this Taiwanese thug considered my ignoring him as “making him lose face?” in front of his friends," so he attacked me.

However, this is just my speculation because I really do not know why the criminal attacked me because a reasonable person would not attack someone for ignoring them in America.

All the best.

-M

1 Like

a reasonable person would not attack someone for ignoring them pretty much in anywhere. in Taiwan too, of course.

:speak_no_evil:

Getting attacked in ximending would make him the world’s unluckiest tourist. Has this ever actually happened? I’m amazed the thug even had elbow room to attack anyone. I’ve also never heard of anyone being refused an exit permit for a pending defamation case. That’s not to say it couldn’t happen, but it sounds really, really unusual.

If someone is harassing you, surely your natural reaction is to walk into the nearest 7-11 and either wait until he goes away, or call the police? At worst, you’ve got the store security cameras recording what happens.

As for just ignoring psychos in America … yeah, that works. Not.

His story isn’t unreasonable, but we all know the legal system is a bit hit-and-miss here, so there’s no new information conveyed. If he’d come here at the start of the problem instead of waiting to come here to grumble about it, he might have got some helpful advice. Bit late now.

[first paragraph removed by moderator]

Yeah it’s a pretty bad area but I was just visiting the college there to see a friend. I wasn’t looking for any trouble, I was just walking down the sidewalk minding my own business when this guy got me out of nowhere. Wasn’t near any clubs or anything and it was in the middle of the day.

if the unkuckiest thing that happened is being attacked and having to stay for extra 120 days in Taiwan to deal with their legal system, the person is not the world’s unluckiest tourist.

2 Likes

Greetings Akisan2-

I have visited Japan, Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, Thailand, China, Vietnam, Cambodia and many other Asian countries with no problems when dealing with legal issues.

E.g., My close friend got her purse snatched by “drive-by scooter thugs” in Bintan island, Indonesia. However, the police were very helpful in attempting to prosecute the thugs that committed the crime.

E.g., I got robbed in Shanghai, China by street thugs. The local police not only caught the perpetrators but even forced them to pay me compensation.

Taiwan police treat you like a criminal for even appearing at the police station asking for help.

All the best.

-M

Greetings tango42-

Agreed. Usually, thugs and shady characters come out after 12am if they exist in that part of the world.

Yes. The incident happened in and around Ximenting.

Agreed. People in and around Ximenting seem to be “troublesome.”

All the best.

-M

Wow! Then I believe you’re going to have a very difficult time practicing law in the US if you manage to pass the Bar Exam. How can you possibly expect to be an effective attorney if you suffer from this type of anxiety. You’re never going to want to find someone like me on the other side of the court room. And most are just like me.

Greetings Brianjones-

I am glad you are okay after surviving being attacked. There are many “crazy/insane/mentally ill” people in Taiwan.

I have seen many “hostile mentally ill” people in Taiwan recently. I have seen them walk around Wanhua district late at night, and they speak to themselves outloud while violently swinging their fists.

E.g., Two weeks ago, when I departed Taiwan, I was on my way to the airport by MRT. A “hostile mentally ill” individual was wearing a surgical mask while speaking to himself out-loud came out of the MRT train, and he “intentionally” attempted to physically “shoulder ram” me as I was walking to the doors to board the train. There was plenty of room to maneuver, so his actions were deemed “intentional.”

I am pretty sure you have seen the obviously “mentally ill obsessive compulsive hoarder” that drives around a pickup truck in Wanhua district. His truck and cabin interior is “filled to the brim with garbage,” and he talks to himself every night outloud while parked at the “Mos Burger” in Ximending around midnight each night.

All the best.

-M

Greetings Dawud-

The incident happened at a public pool facility in Wanhua district.

I do not drink alcohol. I was just using the public pool facilities.

The reason I think I was attacked by the criminal is as follows:

I am a very shy and introverted individual. I usually do not talk to strangers or people I do not know. I avoid all eye contact with people I do not know.

In America, we tend to “physically distance ourselves,” ignore, and avoid all people that physically approach you who appear to be “dangerous, mentally unstable, or seem engaged in illicit/shady dealings.”

The criminal who attacked me looks like thug, walks like a thug, and acts like a thug.

I avoided and ignored him as he tried to engage in conversation with me multiple times.

In America, when you ignore someone, they leave you alone because they get the hint you want privacy.

However, this Taiwanese thug considered my ignoring him as “making him lose face?” in front of his friends," so he attacked me.

However, this is just my speculation because I really do not know why the criminal attacked me because a reasonable person would not attack someone for ignoring them in America.

All the best.

-M