Almost forgotten singer

A few weeks ago. I got involved in a project to remaster some tapes from the last 60s and early 70s.

This afternoon I got a package of tapes I sent to a friend in Australia to bake (as in bake in an oven at 30 degrees for 28 hours) some master tapes. Four of them were suffering from sticky tape syndrome. Which means the tape will stick to all the metal parts of the tape deck and risk snapping.

Got home at around 9pm and I have not been able to stop listening to them. In the process fixing 40 plus year old splices. These can snap in an instant.
The singers name is Martha Huang. Many many years ago recorded a number of songs for Taiwan television. Now while the film and video footage may be lost forever. Just by chance she discovered that she had some old master tapes.

I can’t really say what it is. But there is something very special about the performances she did for television.

Here is one of the songs from the tapes that was recorded for television some 40 years ago. I didn’t do any processing or remastering yet. But considering it was recorded on one of the lowest grade tapes available on the market at that time and not knowing what kind of deck it was made on. it sounds dam good for it’s age.
After the tapes all all transferred that will be in HD audio.

youtube.com/watch?v=3tf_2UrCCSk

40 years!? :astonished:

The audio is pretty decent and the song is beautiful. What a great voice! :bravo:
:serenade:

It is only decent, because Taiwan at the time was using the poorest quality tape on the market Scotch 111. Which is good for everyday recording for voice. but for music the bias is totally off. They should have been using BASF, AGFA,ORWO or Ampex.

That sounds great. To me the sound quality is more than adequate, and she did a fine job on that song.