Almost living in Taiwan

First off sorry for not posting for quite a while.

I graduate from university in May, getting married and will be moving to Taiwan. As time gets closer for the stuff to happen it’s starting to hit me that it’s all happening. I’m excited for many reasons. I know it’s not going to always be easy and there will be times that I may have a really bad day, but overall I’m looking forward to being in Taiwan and experiencing living in another culture.

[quote=“golfmade”]First off sorry for not posting for quite a while.

I graduate from university in May, getting married and will be moving to Taiwan. As time gets closer for the stuff to happen it’s starting to hit me that it’s all happening. I’m excited for many reasons. I know it’s not going to always be easy and there will be times that I may have a really bad day, but overall I’m looking forward to being in Taiwan and experiencing living in another culture.[/quote]

You are male right? As you didn’t put any question in your message let me suggest you marry your girlfriend later after coming to Taiwan. There is just too many beautiful easy-to-get women here and its spring now! :laughing:

I’m saying this because I have a friend from France who regrets being married before coming to Taiwan… just want to make sure you have been warned.

What are you gonna do here? Where will you move? Is your wife taiwanese?

Don’t be afraid of living here. I was a tiny bit afraid of earthquakes and typhoons but both are actually a bit funny. Typhoons are just strong storms and earthquakes force you to range your desk afterwards.

It’s actually probably good to come with a wife/girlfriend, or vice versa, because you can help each other in the teaching area (like planning, especially if you’re a newbie) and you can save more money.

Then you can pay off your bills and/or buy a home back in your home country. If you buy a home, then you can rent it to a family/couple and pay off your mortage that way and always have a home to go back to if you do a year rent thingy.

With couples, rent is cheaper in Taiwan (and everywhere) and you can always watch out for each other with expenses.

Taiwan is actually a good place when you have a girlfriend because the Taiwanese girls want you more. Whether you act on it or not is your perogative, but, if you don’t, it’s good for the mental well being.

If you come here as a couple, you have more money to spend on things like a scooter. Scooters are very handy. You don’t really need one though. You can ride mountain bikes.

You can get yourselves a pretty sweet place to live, too.

[quote=“engerim”]
You are male right? As you didn’t put any question in your message let me suggest you marry your girlfriend later after coming to Taiwan. There is just too many beautiful easy-to-get women here and its spring now! :laughing:

I’m saying this because I have a friend from France who regrets being married before coming to Taiwan… just want to make sure you have been warned.

What are you gonna do here? Where will you move? Is your wife Taiwanese?

Don’t be afraid of living here. I was a tiny bit afraid of earthquakes and typhoons but both are actually a bit funny. Typhoons are just strong storms and earthquakes force you to range your desk afterwards.[/quote]

Yeah I’ve been warned and I’m not worried. My fiancee is Taiwanese yes. I’ll be moving to Kaohsiung and as for what i’ll be doing not quite sure yet, will try to look for work through the contacts I already have there and her friends/contacts, if can’t find anything right off the bat I’ll just look for work teaching English.

[quote=“j99l88e77”]It’s actually probably good to come with a wife/girlfriend, or vice versa, because you can help each other in the teaching area (like planning, especially if you’re a newbie) and you can save more money.

Then you can pay off your bills and/or buy a home back in your home country. If you buy a home, then you can rent it to a family/couple and pay off your mortage that way and always have a home to go back to if you do a year rent thingy.

With couples, rent is cheaper in Taiwan (and everywhere) and you can always watch out for each other with expenses.

Taiwan is actually a good place when you have a girlfriend because the Taiwanese girls want you more. Whether you act on it or not is your perogative, but, if you don’t, it’s good for the mental well being.

If you come here as a couple, you have more money to spend on things like a scooter. Scooters are very handy. You don’t really need one though. You can ride mountain bikes.

You can get yourselves a pretty sweet place to live, too.[/quote]

Yeah we’re going to have to work on new long term goals for the both of us (since up to now my long term goals were graduate from uni and move to Taiwan :laughing: )

My fiancee does have a car (although the thought of trying to drive a scooter let alone a car in Tw scares the crap out of me). I think myself i’ll mostly be hoofing it or just getting her to give me a ride where I need, and hoping they can get the subway done :laughing:

[quote=“golfmade”][quote=“j99l88e77”]It’s actually probably good to come with a wife/girlfriend, or vice versa, because you can help each other in the teaching area (like planning, especially if you’re a newbie) and you can save more money.

You can get yourselves a pretty sweet place to live, too.[/quote]

Yeah we’re going to have to work on new long term goals for the both of us (since up to now my long term goals were graduate from uni and move to Taiwan :laughing: )

My fiancee does have a car (although the thought of trying to drive a scooter let alone a car in Tw scares the crap out of me). I think myself I’ll mostly be hoofing it or just getting her to give me a ride where I need, and hoping they can get the subway done :laughing:[/quote]

Well, if you’re fiancee is Taiwanese and she has a car, what are you worried about? Why would you be worried about driving a car? Jesus fuckin’ H, you could open your open fucking school if you wanted. What are you doing going on here askin’ if you’ll be ok?

If you need help, look beside you.

:bravo:

Holy batcrap j99! That was wonderful.

jdshocked :astonished:

[quote=“j99l88e77”]
If you need help, look beside you.[/quote]

And do what, watch where the moped drivers go?

[quote=“golfmade”][quote=“j99l88e77”]
If you need help, look beside you.[/quote]

And do what, watch where the moped drivers go?[/quote]

Get help.

Have you considered working on a duck farm?

No but those fish farms with the automated moving paddles in the middle of the pond looks appealing.

No but those fish farms with the automated moving paddles in the middle of the pond looks appealing.[/quote]

… if you are hungry.

I would seriously reconsider your move to Taiwan. I’m curious as to why you think your would have better job opportunities in Taiwan. What does you wife plan on doing. Taiwanese companies will not pay her more just because she studied overseas in the USA.

Hey man, I heard that! (evil glare) :smiling_imp: :saywhat: