Alone in the Dark: Luodong National Immigration Agency edition

A couple of weeks ago I went to the immigration agency in Luodong to renew my ARC. I decided to write a post to show fellow foreigners who need to go there what’s waiting for them.

Right off the bat, the NIA welcomes you in the best possible way:

It’s all locked. The people who leave their vehicles in this area do so at their own risk, as nature is slowly starting to reclaim it:

The first thing you’ll notice once you enter the building is a standard waterboarding room:

As illustrated by the last image, testicle electrocution can always be an option.
The rest of the first floor is completely abandoned, with no one in sight. The only way to go is forward:

Next to the waterboarding room you can get a glimpse of the exit, probably the last sight of many people who entered that room to never leave it. Needless to say, the gate was sealed.

Climbing the stairs to the second floor is like bathing in darkness. Even during the brightest hours of the day the Sun doesn’t dare to enter:

Fire escape → behind bars. A classic.

The only window that allows visitors to look outside is this one:

After reaching the second floor it’s possible to open the door of an abandoned facility and experience what’s left inside. Just death, and silence:

On the 3rd floor things don’t get better. While this may be disguised as the colorful entrance of a regular office, the transparent plastic curtains clearly define this as the floor for “medical treatments”:

Finally on the 4th floor there’s the entrance to the NIA. It’s all very nice and tidy, and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. That floor doesn’t fit my narrative, so all footage was lost.

Have fun going there!

12 Likes

This is an actual function office building?

3 Likes

Wow…they should turn that place into a haunted house and charge admission. Bingo! No more budget deficit.

2 Likes

Luodong’s got that really nice park and not shit else.

Yes, that’s where you go if you need to contact the NIA in Yilan county. Their branch is in Luodong. The office itself is ok, but the rest of the building looks like the kind of place where the last thing you see is a shady figure behind the corner and then you suddenly wake up without a kidney.

Kids would love the waterboarding room with rotting food!

Yes. The little bastards would be running around screaming with delight. They should send those child soldiers you photographed before in there. :grin:

“They’re so cute, they’re pretending to be in a real torture room!”
“Yeah, sure…pretending…”

Would probably have to make them sign a waiver just in case one of those Lord of the Flies situations develops…

1 Like

New Taipei one is also an abandoned “military” base…next to the morgue. Uncomfortable, but not in disrepair as the Luodong one. At least it has a coat of fresh paint. But it is also in the middle of nowhere.

I can understand that when the Ministry of Interior created the NIA from the ashes of the previous police stations, it had to improvise, and given the increase in foreigners here, it needed to act fast … and was unprepared for it. But using decrepit buildings is bad -remember the previous New Taipei place, with 45 degree stairs?- and I know we do not vote or have a say but given that our numbers ain´t going down, it is quite a loss of face.

2 Likes

Au contraire it has miles and miles of very pleasant biking which is very nice indeed …It also has an extremely popular night market and a handy train and bus station . It also strangely enough has a rugby pitch. It’s quite a decent place.:grin:

3 Likes

Yeah it really is not right neither to immigrants nor to the civil servants. Maybe a budget problem I don’t know.