Alphametic Puzzle

My daughter asked me to help her solve some alphametic puzzles tonight. We figured out the ones involving arithmetic, but I couldn’t figure this one out:

SEND X ME = MONEY

Anyone want to give it a try? I got as far as eliminating some possibilities, but I couldn’t narrow down the exact numbers.

[b]Edit: In a fit of middle-aged senility, I typed the formula incorrectly. It’s actually this:

GIVE X ME = MONEY[/b]

9567 +1085= 10652

Edit Realised i didn’t read it properly. Did ‘send more money’ at school. :laughing:

Brain hurts! Addy up ones are easy, but x = :cactus:

OK, I give up. :hand: My brain is bleeding. I bet BFM can do that in 0.8 seconds, without a pencil!

Sorry to have caused you such pain! I gave up after 20 minutes or so.

Hopefully BFM or some other logically gifted soul, will find it in his or her heart to help a poor dad out.

I looked at it a bit last night, I have a feeling it’s impossible. The only possible ways seem to be 120x * 32 or 124x * 32, and I’ve eliminated all those. I’m assuming neither S or M can be zero. I’m probably missing something though. it does have a nice ring though “SEND ME MONEY? IMPOSSIBLE!”

It would be good to know it’s actually impossible rather than it’s just me being a thickie. :laughing:

Well, it was assigned as homework, so I’m pretty sure that it’s possible.

That it’s hard enough that neither Buttercup nor Tempo Gain can figure it out make me wonder what the teacher is thinking, assigning it to a group of 14 year old kids.

Anyway, is Dr. Urodacus in the house?

Er, thanks. Although I was never a ‘bad at maths-er’ I only have a GCSE in maths which puts me at the level of a Taiwanese 12 year old … :laughing:

Good luck. Have you googled it?

I’d be interested to hear the solution, if the teacher tells her. If it IS impossible, that doesn’t exactly reward the kids who try hard, does it?

Are you sure she copied it down right? Because the way it is, S or M would have to be ‘0’ and that’s impossible… :blush:

I’m not that hot at maths though.

S and M are equal to 1, all other letters are equal to 0.

Job done. Pub.

God, I’m an idiot. Since not even a client of mine who graduated in maths from NTU could figure it out, I checked her homework once more.

It’s not SEND X ME = MONEY

It’s GIVE X ME = MONEY

I hope that means there’s actually a solution to it.

For fun, here’s one we figured out:

SEND + MORE = MONEY

Will edit original post.

:laughing: But you broke my brain!

I’ve already purchased a new one for you. Fedex will deliver it tomorrow morning. As for my own brain, it seems to be slowly seeping out of my cranium.

Fabulous! Muchos thankos. It’s got to be an improvement. This one has a small hard drive, a slow processor, and takes ages to start up in the morning. I tried all the king’s horses and all the king’s men, but they couldn’t come out til next Tuesday and I’m on a deadline here.

Seepage is easy to deal with. Simply place a tampon in each ear. Absorbancy to be tailored to leakage levels. Laugh in the face of all naysayers and questioners, as you go about your daily biznis.

btw, you’re a nice dad to help her with her maths hwk! Good luck. Might have a crack at the other one when I get home.

Thanks Buttercup. She’s a great daughter. I’m just trying to keep up.

We just solved the puzzle, now that I’ve had a temporary flash of lucidity and actually written it down correctly.

I’ll post the answer in another day or two, if nobody else gets it first.

[quote=“Tomas”]My daughter asked me to help her solve some alphametic puzzles tonight. We figured out the ones involving arithmetic, but I couldn’t figure this one out:

SEND X ME = MONEY

Anyone want to give it a try? I got as far as eliminating some possibilities, but I couldn’t narrow down the exact numbers.

[b]Edit: In a fit of middle-aged senility, I typed the formula incorrectly. It’s actually this:

GIVE X ME = MONEY[/b][/quote]
It’s a math problem??? :astonished:

9567 (SEND) + 1085 (MORE) = 10652 (MONEY)

Right?

Took me nigh on a damn hour :fume: , but I came up with two solutions… :wink:

1092 (GIVE) x 72 (ME) = 78624 (MONEY)
1072 (GIVE) x 92 (ME) = 98624 (MONEY)

what a windup, lol.