Alternative Energy in Taiwan and Taiwan's Energy Security

Taiwan depends on outsiders for GDP/energy. Bring it on. Nuclear allows fewer energy imports and deterrence from advancing/occupying forces. Taiwan won’t ever make it with wind and solar.

Yes, correct. But we were talking about politics and corruption, which is where the logistics in the science gets murky.

Thank god for those uranium mines in Miaoli!

Wait there are no uranium mines here.

Whoops.

Guy

1 Like

Back on topic: this is a nice development.

Guy

1 Like

Anyone know the scoop on the one in Taitung county, at the old Hong Ye hotspring location? Its still surrounded by metal so its still under construction one would assume. But whats its deal?

The geothermal plant in Yilan is now operational:

Guy

2 Likes

I’ve met some Scottish wind farm engineers at Taoyuan airport working on these. Wind and solar expected to garner revenue of NT$2tn - Taipei Times

All good news.
Hopefully Taiwan will up the solar energy supply to.

2 Likes

Hmm. $6500 per installed kilowatt. It’s interesting tech, but I’m not sure how the owners intend to make money from it. It’ll take 7-8 years just to cover cost-of-capital. Hopefully their operating costs are low.

The geothermal power plant will be able to generate 60,000 kilowatts per hour (kWh) per day

I wish they’d get a proper science writer to cover these stories. Despite the tortured terminology, this seems to imply it’s running at ~60% capacity at present.

2 Likes

Looking at how the land management side of the solar installations in taiwan look, they probably avoid scientific writers at all costs!

Hoping for more improvements and more implementation though. Seems taiwan has gotten over the hurdle and are totally ok with renewables, which is awesome. Now its up to the gov not to drop the ball :slight_smile:

Just started listening to this.

About 98% of Taiwan’s energy is imported and most of that is of fossil fuels. Not new to me as this has always been a favorite topic of discussion.

Co-worker recently referred me to the local Greenpeace after I told her I didn’t agree with her scaring very young learners with climate alarmist videos. These kids are too young to do anything about it and what is worse is the information the video was feeding the audience was complete quackery.

This will be great I’m sure. Just a few minutes in and I’m so excited !!!

3 Likes

The number of 98% does not seem right. About 20% is green energy (water, sun, wind, ect) some is local non green like the rubbish burners and local coal and atomic. I do see solar farms in Pingtung now and more will com. Most is imported oil or other carbons.

2 Likes

Besides the host they’ve had 2 Taiwanese speakers from Taiwan.

Really good history of the politics have been discussed.

Send me proof of the 20% renewables powering Taiwan that you speak of.

link https://www.power-technology.com/comment/power-taiwan-2025-free-from-nuclear/

should be about 20% in 2025 , it was 8% in 2013.

Yes. One speaker said that the goals for 2025 will likely be adjusted. I would say these goals will most certainly not be achieved by that date.

Near the end of the show, I just finished listening, I’m pretty sure the Taiwanese woman said that Taiwan has less than 20 days of fuels in reserve. Earlier in the show one of them said that years ago typhoons nearly interrupted the energy supply as the ships couldn’t get in.

Taiwan is in a terrible, terrible position.

Really a good listen. I didn’t see the slides they presented but the discussion was very good. None of it was controversial as far as I could tell. Just the facts.

1 Like

Don’t think for a moment China does not already have these type weapons for the very purpose of stopping food, energy, and arms shipments to Taiwan et al

Putting solar fields on food security lands is the dumbest thing ever. I am pro renewables, but not on land we need for food and. water security. Many are made so low people cant even get in to weed them, leading to new problems these morons havent thought of yet, but everyone else can see clearly. Typical spend money doing something wrong so we can spend.more money later redoing it. Frankly, Taiwan, this is getting tiresome.

3 Likes

On the topic of energy “security”: how many of your are happy to be living near the radioactive spent fuel rods in Xinbei and Pingtung, especially after seeing the Russian military horsing around near Chernobyl?

With the PRC’s never ending threats, who among us is certain Beijing would for sure avoid those sites?

Me neither.

Guy

1 Like

I’d be totally fine with it. Living next to it would present no extra safety risk. Instead of fearmongering, just understanding some basics about physics and radiation would behelpful.

Nuclear waste is not a big deal like people make it out to be. Nuclear waste has an excellent safety record. And when safely encased and buried, even bombing it wouldn’t be that big of a deal. Here’s a nice video which makes it clear.

Fossil fuels also kill a lot of people and have a far worse safety record than nuclear. The true crazy thing is Taiwan abandoning nuclear for 100% political reasons, but still relying on fossil fuels and imported fuel and energy.

5 Likes

Your confidence in this industry is remarkable.

I guess those “political” issues are unrelated to dumping waste (without permission) on Indigenous territory—and lying about it.

I wonder how much of this history you have understand? Based on your post, I guess this all might be new to you.

Guy

2 Likes