Altimeter and Other Sensors on Smartphone

Anyone use it? Just downloaded a free app. It says I’m sitting at 17m in Taipei.

And picking up 8 satellites.

List of sensors.

Screenshot_20180817-121605_GPS%20Tools

Screenshot_20180817-121611_GPS%20Tools

Free? You know that they now have every detail of you, what phone, GPS, altitude … totally free!:rofl:

1 Like

Yep. If you have a smartphone, it’s out there anyway. I’m just getting something back.

What does that do for you though ?

I guess everybody has their own reasons.

I like to know the altitude when driving Taiwan mountains, compass is a compass, speed when biking.

Screenshot_20180817-130401_GPS%20Tools

Screenshot_20180817-130432_GPS%20Tools

Screenshot_20180817-130446_GPS%20Tools

I think that’s very cool. But technically, isn’t this all coming from your GPS receiver. I mean, you don’t have a bunch of sensors on a smartphone from what I understand. An accelerometer (gravity sensor) and a light sensor(s), and that’s about it. But maybe I’m wrong. A microphone (sound sensor) too, I guess. But I like it. I might check it out today on the train.

Take the HSR, your meter (GPS) goes up to 300 Km/h, tried it already many years ago.

1 Like

I guess there are more sensors. Very cool.

Quite a few actually not GPS connected or dependent.

1 Like

Depends on the phone. My iPhone SE doesn’t have an air pressure based altimeter (basically a barometer, I suppose), so it can’t track stairs climbed. But most iPhones do have that function.