Am I a Dual Citizen?

Hi, I have been reading much on dual nationality and still have some questions. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

I was born in Taiwan, came to the States when I was 3, and am a US citizen by naturalization. First, am I a Taiwanese citizen regardless of whether or not I still have a Taiwanese passport? Because unlike others who are claiming dual nationality, I am no longer in possession of a Taiwanese passport or even my birth certificate (apparently my parents were terrible at keeping records).

I am interested in teaching English in Taiwan. The problem is: I cannot commit a year to it as I will be starting law school in late August of 2004. I am trying to figure out if I can do this legally --which is why I’m trying to figure out if I’m still a citizen or at least if I can apply to be one again and reap the benefits (circumvent the work permit, etc.). I am doing my best looking into how, if at all possible, I can work there legally for less than a year. Any help or suggestions?

[quote=“TTexas”]
I am interested in teaching English in Taiwan. The problem is: I cannot commit a year to it as I will be starting law school in late August of 2004. I am trying to figure out if I can do this legally --which is why I’m trying to figure out if I’m still a citizen or at least if I can apply to be one again and reap the benefits (circumvent the work permit, etc.). I am doing my best looking into how, if at all possible, I can work there legally for less than a year. Any help or suggestions?[/quote]

I can’t shed any light on if you can do it or not, but if you can, do it. Being able to work freely (I am a foreigner, but by wife is Taiwanese so I am eligible for an open work card) without worrying about your employer being able to have you thrown out when they treat you like dirt is a huge relief.

And don’t think they try, one did and was dismayed when he found out that he couldn’t get me deported! :laughing:

I’m not sure which is worse: lying and saying I can commit to teaching for a year and later breaking the contract, or teaching without a permit and risking deportation. I’m trying to avoid doing either.

Yes, you’re a citizen, but this won’t really help as you could be drafted if you return here on a Taiwanese passport (well, if you’re a guy anyway.) If you’re a gal, that’d be great. But anyway, you can surely find part time work and maybe even with someone who can get you an ARC. You just have to look around a little. How long is less than a year, almost a year? Just discuss it with any prospective boss, I bet they’re willing to make a contract for 9 or 10 months. There are a lot of possibilities here.

Is there no way to get a work permit without pledging to work at least 1 year first?

This type of question has been discussed before. The consensus was: Why don’t you ask the officials at the nearest Taiwan Overseas Representative Office.

And if they don’t know, then demand that they find out and give you a formal reply in writing !!!

Get your parents to apply for the household registration documents with your birth records… IE your name on the household registration and apply for a new ID & passport at the ROC office closest to you.

I’ve been looking at all the treads regarding Taiwan passports and ID’s and still have some questions.

Here is my situation. I was born in Taiwan but the hospital I was born at no longer exists, so I was unable to get a chinese version of my birth certificate. I have a “translation” of my birth certificate that has my english name written differently than what I currently use. My parents have been unable to find my old Taiwanese passport or any documentation regarding my Taiwanese citizenship as well as any document that has both my Chinese name and my english name. However, I was able to trace my dad’s household registration. It has been transferred to a catagory that I can only best describe as “not having a home in Taiwan” (ie no address in Taiwan). It has all the members of our family. I have a copy of it.

I’ve checked around and found that since I am unable to prove (jen ming) that I am who my Chinese name is and I am unable to get an ID number. Since I was born long enough ago, an ID number was not issued to me at birth. I don’t have to worry about military service. I would like to get a Taiwan passport and ID. Was wondering if you have any suggestions on how best to go about this process? So far, one idea I have is to have my father get me a passport using his old driver’s license (the only form of ID my dad has that has his chinese name and english name) and our household registration. This at least would get me an Oversea’s Taiwan Passport. Does this seem like the only path?

Thanks

With the birth certificate you have now that is translated, you can goto the Oversea office and get a Oversea Passport.

In fact you can get it without your ROC birth certificate. It use to be you needed only proof that your father was an ROC citizen. But I believe the rule was updated to either parent being a ROC citizen.

I know people born in USA who get ROC Oversea Passports. Just have your Oversea Passport have your correct Chinese name on it.

ID number requires you being in ROC for an extended period of time. Just find out how long you have to stay and apply. You have to goto the police station to reinstate yourself first as a resident somewhere in ROC. Make sure your Chinese name matches your father’s registry and the Oversea Passport.

AC

Thanks for the info…I’ll take what I have, dad included…get started…