Am I an NWOHR?

Hello!

1. I am of Chinese descent.
  2. I am a US citizen (and have been since birth).
  3. At the time of my birth, my father was (and still is) a US citizen (and a former PRC citizen) and my mother was a PRC citizen (and has now naturalized as a US citizen).

Am I a national of the Republic of China?

In my understanding of the ROC nationality law, my parents are considered ROC nationals and as their child, I am also an ROC national. However, I may be wrong and would like to confirm this with you guys.

I am interested in applying for a NWOHR passport; can I use my parents’ PRC-issued documents (I have both of their old PRC passports) to prove my nationality?

Some additional details:
4. My mother and father are married.
5. I was born in the late 90s (in the US).
6. We do not have household registration in mainland China. We have absolutely no ties to mainland China (no assets, no residency, etc.).

If your parents had PRC passports at your birth or prior, no. They were people of mainland area, so you cannot be a NWOHR. Iiuc

Connection to PRC could make things more complicated than just being a foreigner.

Thank you for the response! Is there a source for this information?

My understanding is that even if they had PRC passports, they’re still considered ROC nationals, which seems to be the only major requirement for NWOHR.

Fyi

Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area

Nationality Act

Enforcement Rules of the Nationality Act

Passports for Newborn Babies
https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-139-465-75392-2.html

they are not considered foreigners. They are people of the mainland area. To get an ROC passport, you need a document issued by ROC to prove your nationality.

1 Like

Thank you. If any of my grandparents had documents issued by the ROC, would I be able to qualify as an NWOHR?

Iiuc, if your parents had/have PRC passports, no. but, you could ask to TECO in your area or headquarters of NIA or BOCA in Taiwan.