Am I being lowballed on the salary? ☹️

Hahah no doubt about it, I will be lucky if I won’t be in the office on sundays preparing for the Mondays…

What is the usual holiday allowance in Taipei, not including public holidays?

I think 10 days of PTO is the standard, but it may differ from company to company.

1 Like

Thanks Hanna, seems normal that there are less holidays in Asian countries as opposed to UK.

Where do people usually vacay when living in Taiwan? (Sorry if I’m going off topic, just very excited at the prospect of speaking to other expats currently in Taipei :grimacing:)

Sanchung, pretty much Sanchung. :whistle:

If no virus any of the SE Asian nations. Thailand etc. Philippines is close.

5 Likes

What bear said. On your salary, you could also easily budget for some trips to Japan. Okinawa is great. You’ll want to vacation within Taiwan and visit its outlying islands, as well, if you’re the outdoorsy type.

1 Like

What is the industry / what role are you?

For TW 100k is pretty good, especially for a junior. With the housing allowance, it is a very good offer I.M.O.

1 Like

Mein Gott! An 82k housing allowance? That’s playboy mansion living!

I have three bedrooms, a living room, dining room, decent sized kitchen, two bathrooms, three balconies, a fully-equipped gym, large swimming pool and garbage collection for 17k. Admittedly, it’s not in a fancy part of town, but still.

7 Likes

Maybe they forgot the decimal?

3 Likes

Where would that be?

Sanchong. On the bank of the pristine Dansui river.

It really doesn’t make any sense. I feel like it might be 82k annual.

2 Likes

That makes more sense. 100k salary with 82k housing allowance/month sounds bizarre.

2 Likes

Its still a decent offer though. I would take it if the OP likes the company or wants to live in Taiwan.

1 Like

I think it’s very decent for a FOB engineer.

1 Like

Even if the housing allowance is annual instead of monthly, that’s an excellent salary in Taiwan, especially for somebody with only two years’ experience. I’m really curious to know what line of work you’re in to be able to get a salary like that so early in your career?

When I worked in Taiwan with no previous experience, I was getting paid almost half that amount. And now that I have substantial experience under my belt and am able to command high salaries in London, the most I’m able to get in Taiwan is still only 75K. This is actually a very good salary to live on in Taiwan (especially if you live further out), but just not enough to save anything substantial which is my priority at this stage of my life.

1 Like

Those divide by 10 currency conversion errors happen too often :slight_smile:.

1 Like

It’s hard to know because 2000 pounds could be the max monthly housing subsidy for overseas staff of a multinational, at the same time yes it could be an error.
Let us know ! :grinning:

Oh I see, some sort of tax arb.

1 Like

Hi Hanna, sorry been a while since I logged into this.

Could you recommend an area to live on that budget of a maximum 90K/ month on the rent? I’ve been told Xinyi is good for young professionals but I’m not sure. Is area quite important in selecting the “vibe” for Taipei? I’d be living alone and maybe throwing a dinner party here and there. I’m quite a social person so I guess a “happening” area would keep me feeling “alive” lol. Is Xinyi the right sort of place to be looking?

It’s a strange one, primarily because I’m so junior so they’re taking a chance (despite my accolades and proven record). At the same time they have a standard support allowance for expats so they’re still happy to provide the housing etc