Am i eligible for naturalization?

Hello Forumoseans,

I’ve been living in Taiwan for last 4 years on JFRV. Last summer, my naturalization application was rejected. I was told the reason why my application was rejected because I had divorced my spouse a couple of times before the completion of 3 years’ residency period, which has resat the clock. Now I have to wait for another 2 years.

We quarreled over some small matter and got divorced. On the same day, we regretted it and we decided to remarry but I thought I would need to go through the whole process to remarry again. So we were worried. My wife googled if there is anything we can do to fix it, she googled and found out that one doesn’t have to go through the whole paper work if the couple remarries within 10 days after divorce, which is the grace period to remarry, in case the couple regrets. We remarried just 2 days after divorce, and we didn’t go through any document work, nor my ARC was cancelled.

Now the question arises that why my application was cancelled when I remarried within the grace period, my ARC (3 years) wasn’t cancelled, nor I left the country? Please help!
Also, with the clock reset, am I eligible to apply for APRC next year?

Thanks.

A clock reset is a clock reset.

Thanks Gryphon for the reply,

Yes it is, but NIA’s requirement is that one should physically stay in Taiwan 183 days per year and I didn’t leave the country in last 4 years. Besides that my ARC wasn’t cancelled, which was valid for 3 years. Got remarried in grace period. NIA has nowhere mentioned that I should be on someone’s household certificate for all that time.

You have been divorced and you re-married. The household registration office has waived the usual document requirements when you re-married your ex-wife within a few days of divorce. That however does not mean you were not divorced for a few days, which in the eyes of the NIA will reset the clock. If you disagree with the interpretation of the NIA you may always take this to administrative court. For this you will need to apply for the APRC and wait for the written rejection letter. No rejection letter = no appellant

You have been divorced and you re-married. The household registration office has waived the usual document requirements when you re-married your ex-wife within a few days of divorce. That however does not mean you were not divorced for a few days, which in the eyes of the NIA will reset the clock. If you disagree with the interpretation of the NIA you may always take this to administrative court. For this you will need to apply for the APRC and wait for the written rejection letter. No rejection letter = no appellant[/quote]

Thank you for reply

So, I am not either eligible to apply for APRC next year, right?

Er… am I eligible to apply for naturalization if i’ve been here for 5 years on ARC?