Am I looking at house prices out of my league?

You can do well if you play next neighborhood over.

10 years ago we bought two small adjacent units on the top floor of a new high rise in tainans north district… knocked out the wall to create a 4 br w a great view. Got in before any development there.

The area grew fast after that. Close to freeway and near a good school are vital

1 Like

Don’t live in TPE but I always thought the Da Qiao Tou area would be a good place to buy something. Right on yellow line close to main station could prob could find a cool loft space.

Am I dreaming? What’s your thought on that

Seems like a convenient area for sure.
Im not familiar with the area though.

Tainan and Taipei are two different beasts. North Taiwan is just really over priced .

It’s a cool area. Old school. Unpretensious. Street food, temples…

Think yan ping be lu

I have a passing familiarity, agree it’s an old district of Taipei that is little recognised, good location .

Everybody tells me Iit is a pity, I should have bought my own place. I have lived in my apartment like 20 years, and I have barely paid 1 million NTD. The landlady may have bought it originally for like 2 or 4 milion NTD, so if you compare it to what she bought it for then, it may seem she is gettig a good return. However, nowadays the place is worth at least 16 to 25 million, as it is a big place on top of the MRT, right next to the station, literally. I cannot afford to pay for a place like that, new or old. And if my landlady lived only off my rent, she´d have a quite tight budget and little leeway for spending.

Up to six years ago was the time to buy. My neighborhood prices jumped from 6 million to 12 and on since.

Xindian is going through a bubble and I am concerned at all the new buildings. The flood area in Zhongyang community is being built with all these termite mound buildings, it’s scary. They are counting on teh new Circular MRT line to take care of all those people but tey are being funneled into the same old ines downtown. Commuting is going to be a nightmare. I am thinking whether to leave now before it gets too bad or wait and see if it is workable.

Just checking your math. So your rent is only 4000$ a month?

I guess that is one way to live.

ask your boss if you can tele-commute.
give him an offer of like a decrease in salary.
then move south and buy an apartment on the cheap

That would be very nice but then I´d be off my pension, laobao and would have to pay jienbao on my own. For a safe retirement, I´ll brave the MRT crowds a bit longer.

And yes, the house is cheap, but old. Maybe a bit more than one million. For comparison, in Shida I paid 4000 NTD for a “room” no bigger than my cubicle, “built” on a divided balcony, so it was very, very cold in winter. And I had to walk two floors down to go to the bathroom. …which had no windows. Vey breezy.

That’s what I want to do but my stick in the mud foreign boss still insists I should go to the office or at least maintain the office, which means I have to go in most days even if not necessary .
Would have already bought something down south .

Shindiam is turning into yonghe and zhonghe, sad but true. It’s actually a very popular spot for people to live right now, I’ve looked at alternative places to rent here not much going for what I want.

This has a lot to do with where you live and when you bought I think. We bought a cheap apartment in Yilan and other apartments in our building are now selling for more than twice what we paid for ours–granted it’s still pretty cheap compared to Taipei prices.

I work online though so I don’t need to worry so much about location.

Yes most of that is an old story in Taiwan as the prices shot up everywhere.

Zhongyang community is quite nice and I would love a real house with a yard to live in. But for those dreams, head up to Ankeng…before they build the MRT.

I agree with this. Taiwanese just don’t take care of their property at all. At ten years, most buildings are bad. At 30, they are often dank and unlivable.

I’d rather buy four equally large houses outside of the overpriced areas for that price and let the tenants pay for the houses. You also have a decent supplemental retirement income set up then as well.

Nothing lasts forever. What goes up, will eventually go down.

That’s why you never buy new here. Just depends on the management and the tenants.
I have seen properties that are 30 years old here that look as good as the day they were built except for normal wear.
On the other hand I’ve seen buildings that are no more than 10 years old and look like complete crapola.
All apartment buildings look nice when they’re shiny and new the real test is what they’re going to look like 10 years from now.

Not always true in the world of real-estate.
Take for example a home in the California Bay Area built circa 1960s for less than S60,000. Today those homes are worth millions of dollars.

This charts says enough…

2 Likes

Let’s see:

Do you live in Southern California? No.
2019 - 1960 = 59 years ago.
Is Taiwan in an earthquake zone? Yes.
Are most homes in Taiwan in apartment buildings? Yes.
California … free standing houses.
How’s the quality of construction in Taiwan? Ever hear of Chabuduo and Meiguanxi?
How are building code regulations and enforcement in Taiwan? Wanna guess?
Investing 101: you buy when the market is low and sell when it’s high. Guess where the market is right now in Taiwan. Have you ever thought why so many people lost billions of dollars in the US when speculating on real estate?

1 Like