Am I really considering moving back to Taiwan?

I guess I am because I called the Houston TECO office this morning with questions about how to go about applying for my son’s Taiwanese passport, as his old one is expired. But the twit to who answered the phone has reminded me of some of the less savory aspects of Taiwan living. Basically, my question was, “I’d like to apply for a passport for my Taiwanese child and the only website I can find with forms for down load was last updated in 2002, so where can I download the application forms and what all do I need to have ‘authenticated?’”

Twit: “Do you speak Chinese?”
Me: “Not well.”
Twit: “Well then, do you at least speak English?”
Me: :eh: :doh: “Yes, at least I do speak English.”
Twit: “What nationality are you?”
Me: “I’m an American.”
Twit: “Then how come you want to get a Taiwanese passport for your kid?”
Me: “Because he’s Taiwanese.”
Twit: “How old is your kid?”
Me: “He’s six.”
Twit: “He’s what?”
Me: “He’s six!”
Twit: “You can just downlaod the form online.”
Me: "Thanks, Twit.

So, I hung up and called the TECO office in New York. Much more helpful!! There was an actual HUMAN manning the phone up there.

I almost posted this in fun and games, but thought I better not. It’s more like torutre and games. I’m not sure I can take much more of this and I’m sure there’s loads of it out there waiting for me. Lord, help!

Ouch, sounds like a world of pain! I have only some very banal and commonplace experiences getting a student visa, yet they were irritating almost to the point of violence, at the HongKong Stupids Office.

Good luck. Yay! Back on the rock. I’m def coming to Taiwan this autumn if I can meet housecat!

[quote=“Buttercup”]Ouch, sounds like a world of pain! I have only some very banal and commonplace yet really irritating experiences getting a student visa.

Good luck. Yay! Back on the rock. I’m def coming to Taiwan this autumn if I can meet housecat![/quote]

Oh, that would be sooo awsome! Knowing Buttercup will be there might make it a little easier to stomach the idiocy. Coool. I’m planning to move back to K-town, but I promise to get up to Tpe to a happy hour as soon as I’m able to meet more awsome flobbers, too!

So, anyone have any hot job tips? I’ve tried looking around online, but think I may do better once I’m on the ground. It does seem really tough out there, though.

Bureaucracy the world over is similar, if not worse. Paperwork’s a pain in the butt no matter where you are. “A small man dressed in brief authority struts his hour upon the stage”.

And I’m looking really forward to meeting dear Ms Buttercup and Ms Housecat. :flowers:

Now you are edumacated, there must be a few good opportunities for you?

It’ll be great for the kitten to get back to his roots and speaking some guoyu again, as well.

Great big hugs and jiayous.

Yay, well, that’s Taipei/Kaohsiung party number 1 sorted.

[quote=“Buttercup”]

Yay, well, that’s Taipei/Kaohsiung party number 1 sorted.[/quote]
I’ll supply the fireworks and whisky. I’ll even invite Tommy if you two are extra nice.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Buttercup”]

Yay, well, that’s Taipei/Kaohsiung party number 1 sorted.[/quote]
I’ll supply the fireworks and whisky. I’ll even invite Tommy if you two are extra nice.[/quote]

Wow, alcohol, explosives and you three. That would be fab! (tommy wouldn’t show though …)

[quote=“Buttercup”]It’ll be great for the kitten to get back to his roots and speaking some guoyu again, as well.

Great big hugs and jiayous.

[/quote]

That’s a big reason I’m doing this. Things should be well enough sorted with the outlaws and my boy is growing up Mandarin-free and that saddens me. It will be useful to him in the future. I also feel it’s important culturally. I wanted to wait anther year, but he’s already school age and cares about his grades, so the additional pressure of the regular Taiwanese school system and his lack of Mandarin are going to be hard enough already. So, we’re going to do the move, I think, in a month or two. Wish me luck!

Fireworks?!?! Awsome!!

[quote=“Buttercup”]

Wow, alcohol, explosives and you three. That would be fab! (tommy wouldn’t show though …)[/quote]
He’s gotta be an enigma wrapped in a gigabyte.

I promise if tommy is in taiwan, tommy will show

Interesting, Ms Housecat and very “ballsy” ( excuse the euphemism). How long have you been away from Taiwan?

Interesting, Ms Housecat and very “ballsy” ( excuse the euphemism). How long have you been away from Taiwan?[/quote]

I’ve said it before, and it’s the truth, I’ve got bigger (metaphorical) balls than most of the men I’ve met in my life. And you’re not the first guy to comment on my gargantuan (metaphorical) gonads. So, Thanks! I do take it as a compliment, but there are very, very few men out there who appriciate it!

I’ve been off the rock for a little more than 3.5 years.

The gravitational pull of Taiwan will get you back from orbit. I orbitted for nearly ten years and finally returned for a short visit. Id like very much to live back on the rock. It was hard to get back on the plane (that plus i hate long flights, after over 600 flights im still scared to fly ) :slight_smile: Cuz id rather be in the cockpit and know whats up. With that Air France guy flying straight into a thunderhead and splittin up the plane not helping matters.

Makes u wanna make sure u are soaring with eagles and not flying with turkeys (not saying thats what happened to air france, we dont know all the facts yet).

Good luck housecat! You’re doing the right thing.

Did you get offered a good job in K-town? I thought you were heading to Hsinchu.

Hey tommy, shut the fuck up, the idea is to make herself want to come to Taiwan, not frighten her off.

HC, baby, this is awesome indeed.
Uh, I guess I better shave…

Hey tommy, shut the fuck up, the idea is to make herself want to come to Taiwan, not frighten her off.

HC, baby, this is awesome indeed.
Uh, I guess I better shave…[/quote]

Come as you are, babe, that’s what I’m planning to do!

[quote=“irishstu”]Good luck housecat! You’re doing the right thing.

Did you get offered a good job in K-town? I thought you were heading to Hsinchu (Xinzhu).[/quote]

Oh, thank you, Thank You, Iris!! Well, I was thinking seriously of a job in Hsinchu, but that didn’t pan out. I don’t have any offers yet, do have an interview tomorrow with a school in Taipei, but if that doesn’t work out either, I’ll just go anyway. That’ll be K-town 'cause that was always really home.

One pont that is tripping me up rather badly is that it will STILL be 3 more weeks until I have my new documents, (license and degree) and you know how Taiwan just LOVES to stamp stuff. I was also looking at a university faculty position, but couldn’t get them stuff to stamp in time. And applying for my son’s Taiwanese passport will require a trip to Texas. I was hoping to get everything stamped and authenticated at once, but maybe I can’t. Anyway, the to do list is suddenly a mile long and aside from the interview tomorrow, looking for a job will just have to wait until I’m in-country now, I’m afraid. Unless someone has some kind of hot tips for me . . . . :bow:

I think the people who work in Taiwan’s rep offices are often left over from the bad old days and are seriously out of touch with the realities of modestly multicultural Taiwan these days. If that sort of thing annoys you, I’d suggest seriously considering moving to Taipei since I think there is much less of that kind of insensitive treatment. The schools are probably also more used to kids with different backgrounds.

I’d probably move to K-town myself though. Love it down there.

[quote=“Feiren”]I think the people who work in Taiwan’s rep offices are often left over from the bad old days and are seriously out of touch with the realities of modestly multicultural Taiwan these days. If that sort of thing annoys you, I’d suggest seriously considering moving to Taipei since I think there is much less of that kind of insensitive treatment. The schools are probably also more used to kids with different backgrounds.

I’d probably move to K-town myself though. Love it down there.[/quote]

Yeah, I know. I’ve lived in both Kaohsiung and Taipei before. I’ve just been gone from the Land Of No Logic for a few years and have gotten kind of used to dealing with people who have the authority to think while at work.

Come as you are, babe, that’s what I’m planning to do!
[/quote]

Fair enough, we’ll shave after you get here.