Am I really considering moving back to Taiwan?

Did you try to find the forms on the Traditional Chinese version of the TECO website? I’ve noticed that while almost every major TW company/gov’t agency maintains separate Chinese/English websites, with the Chinese version being much more updated and detailed in information than its English counterpart…sometimes to the extent that it feels like they’ve only put the English site on the web just to pretend that they care or to purposely keep English speakers out of potentially important stuff/promotions.

Taiwan is a revolving door.
It’s amazing how some folks depart almost in a huff, and then soon enough they come swanning back.
“You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave…”

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Taiwan is a revolving door.
It’s amazing how some folks depart almost in a huff, and then soon enough they come swanning back.
“You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave…”[/quote]

“Some folks.” Hmph!

I like better, “Taiwan is a revolver.”

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]Taiwan is a revolving door.

“Some folks.” Hmph![/quote]
I include myself in that observation.
:uhhuh:

Perhaps. Yet, the verb is so much more relishable than the noun.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]. . . the verb is so much more relishable than the noun.[/quote] An abiding truth.

“I love to verb words.”–Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbs)

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Taiwan is a revolving door.

There was this student who, when we picked him up at the airport, announced: “It’s 656 days until I go back home”.

He was always very insistent on keeping track of how many days until he went home and never came back.

He was always complaining about the food, the weather, the people, etc… You know the drill.

Come day 0 and we had to kick him INTO the plane. He left nail marks all over the jetway.

That was 2006.

This September he’s coming back to study for his PhD. :roflmao:

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]Taiwan is a revolving door.

There was this student who, when we picked him up at the airport, announced: “It’s 656 days until I go back home”.

He was always very insistent on keeping track of how many days until he went home and never came back.

He was always complaining about the food, the weather, the people, etc… You know the drill.

Come day 0 and we had to kick him INTO the plane. He left nail marks all over the jetway.

That was 2006.

This September he’s coming back to study for his PhD. :roflmao:[/quote]

:roflmao: :roflmao: Yep. I’d been other places before I went to Taiwan. Every other foreigner I’d met when I got here had been on the rock for, like, EVer. Years and years. I’d say, “Wow. I only plan to stay a year.” And they’d be like, “Yeah, me too!” I think it must be all the pollution that just rots yer brains, or something. Anyway, I’ve been infected pretty bad, I guess. That’s why I like Forumosa. It’s like a support group, or a jock strap, or something.

Come as you are, babe, that’s what I’m planning to do!
[/quote]

Fair enough, we’ll shave after you get here.[/quote]

I call dibs on getting to shave Housecat.

Tailor-made thread. I think I’m gonna be inbound too.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]Taiwan is a revolving door.

That was 2006.

This September he’s coming back to study for his PhD. :roflmao:[/quote]

Its that prisoner syndrome thingy. Hes “entrapped” here for so long and all that that finally when he escapes, it doesnt feel right and he has to re-align his marbles by being back in.

[quote=“MaPoSquid”][quote=“the chief”]I call dibs on getting to shave Housecat.

Tailor-made thread. I think I’m gonna be inbound too.[/quote][/quote]

Umm. That’s wierd. I’m the only one who’s ever shaved me.

But cool to know I’m not the only one caught in the tractor beam.

There’s nothing new in the attraction of returning to the Orient. I found an interesting article on this recently from the New York Times c.1900

query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr … 946197D6CF

[quote=“housecat”]Oh, that would be sooo awsome! Knowing Buttercup will be there might make it a little easier to stomach the idiocy. Coool. I’m planning to move back to K-town, but I promise to get up to Tpe to a happy hour as soon as I’m able to meet more awsome flobbers, too!

So, anyone have any hot job tips? I’ve tried looking around online, but think I may do better once I’m on the ground. It does seem really tough out there, though.[/quote]
Being in Tainan it would be awesome to meet you once you’re back and settled. Perhaps we can use it as an excuse for another Tainan Happy Hour! A Tainan “Welcome back/nice to meet you Housecat” Forumosa Happy hour kind of fing… :smiley:

[quote=“housecat”]That’s a big reason I’m doing this. Things should be well enough sorted with the outlaws and my boy is growing up Mandarin-free and that saddens me. It will be useful to him in the future. I also feel it’s important culturally. I wanted to wait anther year, but he’s already school age and cares about his grades, so the additional pressure of the regular Taiwanese school system and his lack of Mandarin are going to be hard enough already. So, we’re going to do the move, I think, in a month or two. Wish me luck!
[/quote]
I was wondering about your reasons for wanting to move back. Not sure if I would be able to do it if I had been back home and settled for a three years and change.
Seems like good reasons, though. I’d also hate for my son to grow up without the old Chinee and a good understanding of that part of his cultural heritage.

Hey, I didn’t know you were moving back so soon! Keep me posted! I think I may have a couple of leads for you. Will try to email them later today and if you don’t hear from me, send me an email.

Love to hear this! I’ll keep an eye peeled.

[quote=“bismarck”]
Being in Tainan it would be awesome to meet you once you’re back and settled. Perhaps we can use it as an excuse for another Tainan Happy Hour! A Tainan “Welcome back/nice to meet you Housecat” Forumosa Happy hour kind of fing… :smiley:[/quote]

Love to hear this, too! How sweet–and I sure wouldn’t miss it!!

[quote=“Bismarck”]I was wondering about your reasons for wanting to move back. Not sure if I would be able to do it if I had been back home and settled for a three years and change.
Seems like good reasons, though. I’d also hate for my son to grow up without the old Chinee and a good understanding of that part of his cultural heritage.[/quote]

I’ve been back, but not really what you’d call “settled.” It’s been a very hard three years of work and school and maddnessess of crazinessess and the such. I really should just “settle down” now in a regular school teaching job, but the thought just leaves a feeling akin to heartburn. I don’t really have family here other than my mom, most of my friends have moved on with their lives . . . . Taiwan is just home, I guess. You guys are ACES, though. I can’t wait to meet you all!l;;;;