Am I Selling Myself Short By Only Applying to English Teaching Jobs In Public School?

I thought some high schools had Japanese, Spanish, French and German.

1 Like

Donā€™t sell yourself short. You have skills and experience that are valuable. Sell those. Plus, right now Taiwan wants to capitalise on their international exposure. Taiwan is currently a gold mine.

2 Likes

Thank you for your candor. Iā€™m not disappointed but I really just wanted to know because either way, you see it is a better job. Bit of better pay and more leisure time. Concerning teaching as a lifelong lucrative profession, no way. A Masterā€™s degree is definitively not cost-effective or advantageous. Iā€™m just doing teaching because ā€œitā€™s all I can doā€. I would LOVE to get a Marketing or any kind of corporate job but Iā€™m afraid that with my lack of experience and my age (53) chances of my career suddenly taking off are next to none. Basically, those are the only advantages I possess (Bachelorā€™s, Masterā€™s, 1-year teaching, 1-year lab work, fluent in Spanish and English, and a great personality to go along with it :wink:) So If you or anyone know of a biotech hiring foreigners fluent in either language for Marketing Iā€™m all in! Otherwise, Iā€™ll do all I can which is teaching. I wonder if there are any employment agencies that would get me a corporate job? :thinking:

Worth looking into.

Thanks. Iā€™ll look into the Spanish thing in the local schools after all if it is more money doing the same (meaning teaching), why not? I suppose I can look into the schoolā€™s curriculums. Oh, wait! I just remembered that the TFETP asked me what other languages I was familiar with so perhaps is just a matter of pointing it out to them.
Concerning Biotech the obstacles Iā€™m facing are: lack of experience, being a foreigner and being 53 y/o. Neither one really correctable. But I suppose there is no harm in trying. I might try to find a job placement company and sort of throw it to the wall and see what (if) sticks.

Ok, I just did. The Gold Card is basically for high skilled or high experience workers in certain industries like Science and Finance. They also require a minimum of ā€œXā€ years of experience. They even have a previous salary requisite! There is a category for Education but it refers to College professors, chairmen, etc and they must be from a top-tier school too! The Gold Card is meant to attract ā€œLa creme de la cremeā€. School teacher of showroom credentials need not apply :frowning_face:

Thatā€™s news to me. Iā€™ve lived here for nearly a decade and the only Taiwanese I know that know anything but ā€œā€˜å§č±¬ā€™ means ā€˜helloā€™ in French or is that Spanish?ā€ are the rare person that lived in that country for a short time. I had no idea enough people knew those languages well enough to pretend to know how to teach them.

"Ā”Hola! :joy: Is there any demand for Spanish in any industry in Taiwan?

I just asked my nephew. His high school has Japanese, Korean, Spanish, French and German with foreign teachers. Itā€™s a public high school in Taoyuan.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry this didnā€™t fit.

Onto the next plans . . .

Guy

Yes many. REMEMBER! Taiwan is an export economy. They export many things including biotech!

L :open_mouth:

Now the whole Biotech Marketing seems like a real possibility! That would be my ideal job. I guess now Iā€™ll make a new post asking for employment agencies that cater to that market :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Facebook and 104 are your friends

:+1: On ward!

1 Like

Do you know if public school can hire you directly, or do you have to go thru MOE? Because Iā€™m in a program directly with them along with all kinds of perks.

Youā€™re awesome. Thank you!

I havenā€™t taught at a public school in Taiwan, but Iā€™m pretty sure MOE is involved in the hiring or assigning process (someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong).

I got all my public school jobs directly from the schools, but that was before the MOE changed the name from FET to TFETP. Its possible you can only go through MOE or a recruiter now. This past year has been many headaches for everyone involved in the program. And the people running it are morons who think its everyoneā€™s first time in Taiwan, even though most FETs have been in Taiwan for at least a decade, some much, much longer.

Hm I think Iā€™ll email them and find out for sure. Iā€™m just asking because I am wondering how to go about getting a position other than English teacher.