Am I wrong? Am I?

Am I right? Am I?

• Tom, you are right.
  • Tom, you are wrong.

0 voters

I keep having these things happen to me in Taiwan, and they keep getting justified by certain people. Am I wrong? Am I?

Am I wrong or do people care more about ‘face’ than about the truth?

Am I wrong or do people treat me differently because I am not local?

Am I wrong or do some things cost me more because I am not local?

Am I wrong or does working here seem like a ‘joke?’

Am I wrong or are Taiwanese prejudiced against non-Taiwanese people?

Am I wrong or am I actually getting no respect for how hard I work?

Am I wrong or are manners thin on the ground here?

Am I wrong or are people staring at me because they are ignorant/ un-educated, and not because I am ‘handsome?’

Am I wrong or is there a need to pay 5 thousand NT to a garage every 3000 kms?

Am I wrong or is evey space here a potential building site?

Am I wrong or will I really spend the rest of my life here being wholly mis-understood?

Tom OUT.

You’re not all wrong.

[quote=“TomHill”]Am I wrong or do people care more about ‘face’ than about the truth?[/quote]Frequently.

[quote]Am I wrong or do people treat me differently because I am not local?[/quote]Yes.

[quote]Am I wrong or do some things cost me more because I am not local?[/quote]Haven’t had this one.

[quote]Am I wrong or does working here seem like a ‘joke?’[/quote]Not for me.

[quote]Am I wrong or are Taiwanese prejudiced against non-Taiwanese people?[/quote]Yes, but not maliciously, just ignorantly.

[quote]Am I wrong or am I actually getting no respect for how hard I work? [/quote]Ask me again about mine after CNY.

[quote]Am I wrong or are manners thin on the ground here?[/quote]Yes.

[quote]Am I wrong or are people staring at me because they are ignorant/ un-educated, and not because I am ‘handsome?’[/quote]Maybe.

[quote]Am I wrong or is there a need to pay 5 thousand NT to a garage every 3000 kms?[/quote]Dunno.

[quote]Am I wrong or is evey space here a potential building site?[/quote]Yes.

[quote]Am I wrong or will I really spend the rest of my life here being wholly mis-understood?[/quote]Maybe not wholly

[quote]Quote:
Haven’t had this one. [/quote]

Ditto - Where did this happen?

[quote]Quote:
Not for me. [/quote]

Not me - what kind of work do you do?

You just don’t understand female culture.
you, as a male, by default are always wrong
:wink:

They think you’re Austin Powers.

[quote=“purple people eaters”][quote]Quote:
Haven’t had this one. [/quote]

Ditto - Where did this happen?

[quote]Quote:
Not for me. [/quote]

Not me - what kind of work do you do?[/quote]

I frequently pay more at the ‘shop’/ garage to get my car fixed. I know, cos Mrs Hills’ dad takes it to a place down the road after I get my quotes. Always cheaper.

I am a qualified teacher, with 6/7 years experience in teaching in the UK and Japan. In 2 years here I have met 1 person with more experience than myself. I am yet to meet someone I respect here, more than myself, as an educator. Yet…

Tetsuo, don’t get me wrong brother, but the fact that you are empathizing with me speaks volumes about the validity of my beef’s. (If beef can be countable) :smiley:

Oh lord, you’re ONE of THOSE teachers :unamused: :noway: :wink: :wink: :smiley: :laughing:

Your not wrong, but you have a chance to make some small changes with every person you deal with.
Sometimes a little goes a long way.

keep yer chin up brother :wink:

[quote=“shifty”]Your not wrong, but you have a chance to make some small changes with every person you deal with.
Sometimes a little goes a long way.

keep yer chin up brother :wink:[/quote]

Or make the change within yourself, since it’s your perception you’re talking about.

Can we have a poll so we can vote if you’re wrong or not ?

Let me try…

Bingo. You’re in the second phase of culture shock: disillusionment.

Hang in there–things will get better. The fact that you are seeking a solution to your frustration tells me you’re going to be okay.

There is no quick and easy way to shift into the next phase, where you’ll be able to evaluate both the good stuff and the rotten stuff with greater objectivity. You just have to hang in there, do a lot of thinking about what you are experiencing, have a few things happen that change your paradigm, and you’ll soon be enjoying life like the long-termers do.

It also helps if you’re doing what you can to be able to communicate in the local languages.

Cheers,

Tomas

Bingo. You’re in the second phase of culture shock: disillusionment.

Hang in there–things will get better. The fact that you are seeking a solution to your frustration tells me you’re going to be okay.

There is no quick and easy way to shift into the next phase, where you’ll be able to evaluate both the good stuff and the rotten stuff with greater objectivity. You just have to hang in there, do a lot of thinking about what you are experiencing, have a few things happen that change your paradigm, and you’ll soon be enjoying life like the long-termers do.

It also helps if you’re doing what you can to be able to communicate in the local languages.

Cheers,

Tomas[/quote]

Thank you for giving me your advice Tomas. I really appreciate it. Something great about Forumosans is that sometimes they offer you a solution you’d never ever have thought of by yourself. ‘Wha’happened’ did the same thing the other day, offered totally excellent advice. Thanks guys.

I don’t think it’s so black and white nor is it about right or wrong as much as “Am I going to accepted here? Can I have the life I want here.” Keep thinking the way you do now is going to make your life very uncomfortable, in my opinion, but we all gotta do what we gotta do.

Best of luck,

Attention: you are suffering a mild psychotic breakdown. All is well, and you will be assimilated. Fret not.

Again, all is well and you will be assimilated.

Prescription: Go the HH this coming Tuesday. :wink:

This was a big turning point for me at about the two year mark. I think it was only then that I started to make sense of why a lot of things are the way they are and, consequently, tended to question things and fret a little less. Plus, I made a lot of great local friends that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise. You don’t have to be fluent; a lot of times, just making the effort opens a lot of doors. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“TomHill”]
I am a qualified teacher, with 6/7 years experience in teaching in the UK and Japan. In 2 years here I have met 1 person with more experience than myself. I am yet to meet someone I respect here, more than myself, as an educator. Yet…

[/quote]

Oh lord, you’re ONE of THOSE teachers :unamused: :noway: :wink: :wink: :smiley: :laughing:[/quote]

I was sympathizing with you, Tom, until you made that remark. Namahottie is right, you need to make some changes within yourself.

Instead of dismissing someone you deem to be a lesser educator, try being their mentor.

Respect isn’t a one-way street.

I too used to feel like this for the most part. Now I’m more or less “Taiwanese” in my mind. I too stare at things I find wierd (never did that back home), drive like a lunatic, spend hours at the internet cafe, smoke like a chimney (still haven’t gotten around to chewing binlang) and have started to develop that really “special” trait of not understanding when people speak to me… English or Chinese. :smiley:

I pay reasonable prices wherever I go, largely because I too now have the built in assumption that no price is standard, it’s always negotiable.

I so happy here now… :wink:

(Although, to be honest, I am sometimes left with the despairing thought, shouldn’t I be studying more? What will I do in five years time? Surely working at a Buxiban until I’m 60 isn’t the way to go? But then it hits me - I think too much… :homer: )

[quote=“Tetsuo”]

Are you kidding? It is so bad that most of the time I want to buy something I tell my chinese friend what I like and have them go get it later. I have a bracelet that would have cost me $350 but that my friend got for $150. I have even had people try to charge me more than the price on the fucking tag!!! It is (of course) worse from women. Men I can usually bat my eyes at for a while and get the price down to reasonabloe. But it takes me so much more effort. My local friends go in and the first time they ask for the price to come down it comes down. I have to arm wrestle.
I am SO with Tom on this one.