Amanda Knox freed by Italian court

Amanda Knox free after all charges except one dropped in Italian court.

I believe this is a just decision because there was insufficient evidence to convict her.

The jury did not believe the prosecutors portrayal of her as a she-devil.

I suspect the 2 were not involved in Meredith’s murder, and that an acquittal is the right decision.

All the same, extremely distasteful that she tried to finger Patrick Luamba (he apparantly lost his business as a result).
I’d rather she went back to the States, put her head down, and disappeared.
Sadly, it seems that we’ll have to suffer a book and movie, and she’ll be eveyone’s media darling for the next few months :thumbsdown:.

ok, so she is innocent. held for how long? and the real killer of Meredith has had this long to cover tracks. you all know the Italian police have done a follow the leader from the US police. we got the suspect, so shut down the investigation. now the Italian homicide has to go back and start all over. sad we probably never here the end result of that.

You think that Rudy Guede is also innocent?

:astonished: It’s always a shame when incorrect fingering results in economic loss. Wonder what her release will mean for the other people in this case that were both fingered and convicted.

It is not at all clear that she did that - if it is true that her interrogation was in Italian (a language she was not proficient in at the time) and if it is true that her interrogators played games of the sort “imagine you were there what could you have seen”, all sorts of wrong information might end up in an interrogation report. :ponder:
I am not saying she didn’t do it (i am suggesting that we can’t know), but consider this, for example:
edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europ … f=obinsite

don’t know Tom, don’t know if Amanda is or not either.

At this stage I am not certain of her complete innocence, but she was facing life in prison and there was not sufficient evidence of guilt to warrant that.

She will make quite some money (thanks in part to her good looks) but she will have some trauma from being imprisoned for 4 years and all that she went through.

Especially if she was guilty in some way.

I suspect the case is closed. Most jurisdictions close cases by arrest and prosecution - not conviction.

Sure to get million dollar offers from news networks and others (even Playboy) but shes not rubbing it in the italians faces because apparently shes taken a commercial flight with her family to London . People were taunting her with "get on your private plane and get OUT " for the rumours a news network is offering the family a private jet to get out of Italy at the first possible SECOND.

All the same, if I was her, I dont think Id want to visit Italy again at any time in the future.

At least not for a decade or two

I read quite a lot about the case in the past few days and from what I’ve read, I think there are a lot of circumstances and contradicting statements by the defendants and witnesses (true or not I can’t tell) that make it not unlikely that Amanda and her boyfriend where somehow involved in the murder. The change of the verdict from a 25-year prison sentence to acquittal is very astonishing.

rgj.com/article/20111004/NEW … |FRONTPAGE

This is the type of woman they really NEED to keep in prison. Forever.

Sentenced and imprisoned then set free on retrial, then retried again and now found guilty again. SEntenced to 28 years.

Its unlikely she will be extradited from the USA, she just can’t go to Italy, and possibly anywhere in Europe.

Her former Italian boyfriend is facing the rap for 25 years though and he is in Italy and will be jailed again most likely.

Did she murder or not? That is the question. CAn we trust the Italians to get to the truth?

I don’t trust any legal system that resurfaces charges after an acquittal has been issued.

I always followed this case because it felt close to home: British Erasmus student murdered.

We’ll never really know because of all the allegations that the DNA material was mishandled. The fact is, she came over as as deeply unreliable and unlikeable witness from day 1 and that hasn’t helped.

If they didn’t do it, Sollecito was very unlucky to get caught up in it all. Fucking waiguoren!

Do you think she actually committed this gastly murder ?

The victim was stabbed some 40 plus times apparently.

The DNA and the timeline suggests that she did. Meredith’s parents think she was involved. It’s hard to really say, with only the media for info. The Italian and US media made her look so appalling that it’s was hard for her to get a fair trial. Yet she still thinks that opening her mouth is going to further her cause…

I don’t think Sollecito was more than a bystander yet he’ll probably do 25 years. She’ll never tell us what actually happened.

IF thats the case, there’s another tragedy. The Italian is in Italy and will be jailed while she stays safe in America. No way she will be extradited.

Absolutely. We only know what the media tell us about this case, but questions of guilt or innocence end with an acquittal. Anything else is a mockery of justice.

This is certainly not my understanding based on the information available to the public. You yourself acknowledged that the “DNA was mishandled”. As for the timeline, it is vague and basically irrelevant, since there has never been any sound reason to suspect that Knox was involved in the murder in the first place, except that her testimony was erratic and unreliable as you noted. Erratic and unreliable testimony is not surprising from a naive college kid from a sheltered background who was suddenly being held and aggressively questioned in a murder case overseas in a language that she did not yet have a sound command over.

The only person that we know for certain “could” tell us what actually happened is Rudy Guede – the man who committed and confessed to the murder, was convicted, and is currently serving time for it. But telling anything that would vindicate Knox and Sollecito now would surely undermine his eligibility for work release this year, so one can hardly expect him to do so at this point.