Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

I order a lot from the USA (just got the new Canon Powershot S90) and this is very common (the paperwork, not the delay).

The document you have to sign is power of attorney, allowing the courier to deal with the customs declaration etc.

I now always fax and/or email a new PoA and ID copy to their customs gateways as SOON as I receive the shipping info from the seller. This usually gives me 3 days to make sure everything goes smoothly and gets delivered on time. I bombard them with multiple copies and make sure to plaster the airway bill number all over the paperwork.

A few hours after you sent your fax, call their customer services number and get them to follow up. They probably wont be able to locate your fax and will give you yet another fax number to use. However, I have found that the CS reps ALWAYS follow up and call back after I make initial contact.

My fax cover letter usually reads something like this:

"[i]I am expecting a personal delivery from the USA (UPS/DHL#________). It is currently in transit.

The content is___________.

The value is USD_____ , all invoices will be included on the cargo box.

I am faxing you ALL the paperwork now, to avoid unnecessary delays with delivery

Here are the Power of Attorney and ID card you need for customs processing.
Sometimes you cannot read my ID number, so here it is:________

Also, I realize there MIGHT be import tax duties. Please do NOT delay delivery.
Simply deliver the cargo, ASAP. If there is any import tax, then I will pay it in cash to the courier upon delivery.[/i]"

You can get a good estimate of import tax and VAT here: FYI: estimating import tax

Here are some fax numbers, names and email addresses.

DHL

Customs gateway
Fax: 03 3992556 or 03 3992558
emails: stella.huang@dhl.com

Customer services
email: ashley.tsai@dhl.com

UPS

Contact name: Judy
Fax: 03 3987518 or 03 3987502