Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

It Came. It Came! Yes, I am a happy camper. My library books appeared after i registgered it and so did the AUdible Audio book a bought (for free) after I really long download period.

My dad shipped it to me along with a hardcover book. The customs declaration said “Book and Kindle” on it. It was valued at 100. The package was not stopped at all. The Mail Man just placed it on my motorcycle’s seat in the garage and drove on. Amazon did a good job of packing their books and Kindle with heavy cardboard. My Dad put them into a padded envelope.

Wow, I’ve never seen an E-ink display before. I was trying to peel off the “sticker” from the front of the kindle. There was nothing on it that said it was a sticker but it sure looked like is was printed material stuck to the screen. Out of desparation, I just plugged it in to the USB port to charge it while I get on Amazon to ask you Geniuses how to get this sticker off. After I plugged it in, the display came alive. It’s pretty neat. The text to speech is not bad either. Now I have to learn if I can import stuff via the usb cable and not be stuck to wifi.

I’m happy at the moment. I bought the accident insurance too.

My Kindle made it to Taiwan on Sunday night but so far hasn’t made it to me. DHL are frickin useless and don’t seem to be want to reply to my query about where it is. :fume:

DHL not UPS? Did you use some reshipping service? I only got mine out of customs a year back or so when sending a Power of Attorney letter to UPS for some NCC (wireless radio compliance) stuff.

It was direct from Amazon, DHL must be their preferred shipper now.

They finally called me today after and asked me to resend the POA form. According to the tracking though it’s still delayed.

Heads UP, kindle Touch Doesn’t do Landscape! I was planning on using it for PDF’s of Chinese Children’s books from the Over Seas Chinese learning Center. I have had a chance to view PDF’s on my Kinde yet.
Other than lack of Landscape, the kindle is working out ok.

Surprisingly the Text to speech is very good. I’m sure the lack of landscape could be fixed by a flash rom update in the future.

Our Kindles finally arrived, the import agent worked. :bravo:

Kindle support said they would follow-up, but they never did. I did however go on to Amazon chat and asked the support agent to thank the people there. So I’m not bothered by that in the least! :notworthy:

On a side note, if I had known then what I know now when I ordered I would have gone with the Nook Simple Touch. Better specs (capacity, battery-life, weight is the same, faster page turn speed), $99 price tag, and they’re .epub capable which is what will be available in libraries. :sunglasses: IMHO if you have someone in the USA to send it to who it will post it on to you, this is the way to go!

But my wife and I are loving our Kindles and are reading a lot more. If you don’t want to go through the issue of waiting for them to come from the states there are people selling them on search.ruten.com.tw/search/s000. … le&t=0&p=2, don’t take my word as guarantee that everything on there is real, it’s an auction website. :wink:

Forgot to update this to say mine finally arrived last Thursday. Loving it so far.

You can chk their online sight with your airwaybill number.

It can take afew days to clear customs which has nothing to do with DHL they will probably need to get a copy of your ARC if there are import duties.

You can chk their online sight with your airwaybill number.

It can take afew days to clear customs which has nothing to do with DHL they will probably need to get a copy of your ARC if there are import duties.[/quote]

I had been checking it. DHL had all the paperwork, ARC copy etc. They ended up calling me and apologizing because they’d made a mistake. One that was sorted, it only took a few hours.

Question: What exactly is a Kindle? From what I’ve heard, it’s nothing more than an electronic way to read books. You must have an Amazon account, you must buy books in electronic form from Amazon and it downloads via wifi or 3G, and then you can use the Kindle to read the books you paid for and downloaded without carrying around a bunch of heavy books.

So, can this thing do anything else? How about surfing the web or playing games? Is this also a kind of tablet computer to try to compete with the Ipad 2? However, it looks like it doesn’t have a color screen, only black and white. How is this better than an Ipad 2 or other tablet computers? Does the Kindle have any value whatsoever for people who don’t read?

I’m asking because I have received notification that I have received a Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G +Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display, 3G Works Globally; Model D00901-15. What is this and what the heck does it do? I’m not technologically handicapped, but I just haven’t bothered learning about this piece of gear.

BTW - I don’t read anything for pleasure. And I mean ANYTHING. In fact, I hate to read. I only read computer manuals and legal briefs. So, what am I going to do with this thing if it’s only a black and white e book reader and I have to buy books for it, which I’m definitely not going to do? Do these things come with DRM restrictions or can I find Kindle book torrent sites? I still wouldn’t read, though. :ponder: Suggestions, please.

They do have a tablet model called the Kindle Fire that is color and does basically everything an iPad does. Unfortunately, that’s not the one you mention. AFAIK, the Kindle Keyboard lets you read books and make notes. There aren’t any DRM restrictions with the device, meaning you can use any files it can read including PDFs, stuff you download elsewhere - Google books, torrents etc, but there may be DRM restrictions on stuff you buy from Amazon (I’m not sure).

If you don’t read for pleasure, then I’d guess it may not be very useful.

[quote=“cfimages”]They do have a tablet model called the Kindle Fire that is color and does basically everything an iPad does. Unfortunately, that’s not the one you mention. AFAIK, the Kindle Keyboard lets you read books and make notes. There aren’t any DRM restrictions with the device, meaning you can use any files it can read including PDFs, stuff you download elsewhere - Google books, torrents etc, but there may be DRM restrictions on stuff you buy from Amazon (I’m not sure).

If you don’t read for pleasure, then I’d guess it may not be very useful.[/quote]
The Amazon Kindle Fire has a color screen and it’s just recently been released. But, according to reviews, it’s a P.O.S. and won’t be able to challenge the Ipad 2, except for price. Low price = low quality. :thumbsdown:

[quote=“Tom’s Guide to Gadgets on 12-12-2011”]

Some Amazon Kindle Fires Brick Right Out of the Box

Holiday shoppers who plan to gift Amazon’s Kindle Fire may want to make sure the tablet survives the initial firmware upgrade before wrapping it up as a present.

There’s good reason for tablet and personal computer manufacturers to be afraid of the Amazon Kindle Fire: it’s zippy, it’s lightweight, it supports Android apps and direct streaming of Amazon’s Instant Videos. Oh and it’s really cheap too, making it one heck of a deal this holiday season… and why online and local retailers are having a hard time keeping units in stock.

If anything, the Kindle Fire – not to mention HP’s TouchPad which sold out again on Sunday in just twenty minutes – indicates that consumers want a powerful handheld for surfing, playing games, consuming media and socializing without having to pay laptop and desktop-sized fees.

That said, there’s a dark side to the Kindle Fire phenomena. Consumers lucky enough to get their hands on a unit before Christmas might actually want to test the device first before wrapping it all up in a pretty bow and sticking it under the tree. Based on first-hand experience, the device can brick itself after installing the initial firmware update.

Upon hitting the power switch, the tablet goes into automatic update mode after the user supplies access to the local network and Amazon account login credentials. Once registered, it immediately checks with the Amazon update server, and then downloads and installs the required software. After that, the tablet reboots and could remain indefinitely frozen – or “bricked” – at the “Kindle Fire” logo screen.

The first thing Amazon requests in this situation is for the user hold down the power button 20 to 30 seconds to reboot, then power it back on. If the problem persists, then the user should let the tablet charge for a few hours. This aspect was a little confusing, as an Amazon rep said to leave the device powered on while still plugged in and charging (seems to defeat the purpose), showing the Kindle Fire logo on the screen – it will reboot into the UI once there’s enough charge.

But after four hours that never happened, and then after another three hours with the unit turned off and plugged into the charger, the device still froze at the logo screen. During all this time, there’s no indication that the tablet is even charging because the power LED does not come on until the unit is actually powered on (the LED will switch to orange if the device is on and plugged into the wall).

After a second round with an Amazon representative, it was determined that the “device has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced.” Amazon was happy to send a new unit, but required a credit card number first to secure the bricked tablet and its journey back to Amazon HQ. This method of product replacement is typical, but for those who don’t even trust their own mother with a credit card number, this method is unacceptable. In this particular instance, the Kindle Fire was returned to Walmart in exchange for another unit (the last one in the city too according to a clerk). The second tablet updated without a hitch just hours ago and currently functions correctly, but there’s no promise that the bricking incident wont happen again in a future update – literally bricking out-of-the-box killed consumer confidence.

During the initial update process with the first Kindle Fire unit, an investigative search through Amazon’s Kindle forum revealed numerous complaints on the same scwenario, indicating that this is an ongoing problem – one that Amazon is resolving by replacing entire units. “Mine is doing the same thing and started right after I updated the software,” one forum member said almost one month ago. “Now it won’t do anything but display ‘kindle fire’ in the middle of the screen. There are several other discussions in the Kindle Forum on this same subject.”

“Got my Kindle Fire! But got a problem, Help!” reports another forum post. “I did: power on. Started. Wi-Fi connected. Completed download upgrade. After getting restart (auto). “Kindle Fire” on center of screen. For long time (over hours). Follow help guide, hold power button for 20 sec. Hard power off kindle. Then press power button on, see “Kindle Fire” on the screen. unresponsive for long time again.”

“Looks like I got a bum Kindle also,” reads another. “Started up fine, but after the update, it immediately goes to the “kindle fire” page and will not budge. Charged, did the hard restart and still nothing. Called CS and they don’t have any idea how to fix it.”

During our first tech support call, one Amazon representative said that our own experience with an update-related bricked Kindle Fire was one of the first received after the release of Kindle Software Update Version 6.2, meaning that the firmware issue still persists, and as seen in the Kindle forums, can even happen after downloading an ebook or installing an application. “After setting up my fire and even downloading my first book and started reading it, I turned it off and now I have a black screen with words Kindle fire and won’t go away,” one forum member said.

As previously stated, consumers who purchased the Kindle Fire tablet as a Christmas gift may want to go ahead and check the device before waiting until Christmas morning. If it’s for a friend or a family member outside the home, consumers can setup and update the device using their Amazon account, and then simply de-register in the My Account section. Naturally this “bricking” problem may not be present on all tablets – so far our second Kindle Fire is still up and running even after the firmware update – but it doesn’t hurt to be cautious, especially if the tablet is to be opened and used on Christmas morning. No one likes to get a bag of coal or a box of bricks.[/quote]

Yi fen Qian Yi fen huo. Theres nothing wrong with the kindle fire at 200usd a pop.

BTW NCS, I would like to make an offer for your kindle if you would like to sell it, I broke mine recently.

DOUBLE POST

一分錢一分貨 ---->Exactly! Buy cheap gear, get cheap quality. Buy expensive gear, get good quality. But, why buy a lesser quality piece of gear with limitations just because it’s cheaper?

Have you seen the reviews on the Kindle Fire? Amazon is getting slammed for firmware and performance issues! Check out Amazon stock. I’m glad I don’t own any Amazon!

Too late. It’s already on its way back to Amazon HQ. Didn’t even waste my time opening it. If I cared anything about reading, and buying books online, I could just download the free Kindle app for the PC and read books on my desktop, or notebook. If that’s too inconvenient, I could download the free Kindle Ipod application and read books on my ipod which of course can surf the Internet in color! Also, the Kindle Keyboard is priced the same as the Kindle Fire! :loco: Why would anyone buy the black and white Kindle Keyboard anymore? It’s like getting HD television service and then watching it on an old black and white analogue TV or buying an 8 track tape player for your car when you could buy a CD player! Always buy the best is my motto.

Sorry guys. I just don’t get the Kindle. :s

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]
Too late. It’s already on its way back to Amazon HQ. Didn’t even waste my time opening it. If I cared anything about reading, and buying books online, I could just download the free Kindle app for the PC and read books on my desktop, or notebook. If that’s too inconvenient, I could download the free Kindle Ipod application and read books on my ipod which of course can surf the Internet in color! Also, the Kindle Keyboard is priced the same as the Kindle Fire! :loco: Why would anyone buy the black and white Kindle Keyboard anymore? It’s like getting HD television service and then watching it on an old black and white analogue TV or buying an 8 track tape player for your car when you could buy a CD player! Always buy the best is my motto.

Sorry guys. I just don’t get the Kindle. :s[/quote]

Why do you need a colour display to read a book? The black and white eInk makes for an excellent reading experience, much better than reading on a tablet or computer screen. But the Kindle’s only function is to display ebooks, if you hate reading then it is a useless device.

[quote]Why would anyone buy the black and white Kindle Keyboard anymore? It’s like getting HD television service and then watching it on an old black and white analogue TV or buying an 8 track tape player for your car when you could buy a CD player! Always buy the best is my motto.

Sorry guys. I just don’t get the Kindle. :s[/quote]

I got one just for reading. I love reading and do a lot, so for me, spending NT$4000 on one is worth it.

The kindle is really a good device for readers. What I loved about my Kindle was the fact that I couldn’t get distracted surfing the net and the long battery life. I also love the ease with which I could purchase books that I want and get them pretty much instantly for reasonable prices. The e-ink display has it’s advantages regarding clarity, the only issues I had was it wasn’t backlit so can’t read in the dark and graphics were often not formatted correctly along with pics.

[quote=“Mawvellous”]Why do you need a colour display to read a book? The black and white eInk makes for an excellent reading experience, much better than reading on a tablet or computer screen.[/quote]However, what about illustrated books with color pictures? You can’t see the illustrations in color using a Kindle. From what I’ve read, the Kindle app for the Ipod, Iphone, Ipad, and PC is black and white, so you’re not using the colour function of these products to read, but you have color when you want to look at the color illustrations or do other tasks like surf the Internet.

A useless device for me, but apparently a very cherished item for individuals who are really into reading.

Not backlit? So if you want to lie in bed at night and read a book while your partner is sleeping, you still need a light source in order to read it? :ponder: Definitely a disadvantage.

So, you are a big time reader? How many books do you think you read per week, month, year? What kind of books do you read? Novels, non-fiction, others? How much did you use your Kindle before you broke it? Sorry about that by the way. How long ago did you break it? How come you didn’t immediately order a new one to replace the broken one? Do you miss it? You see…I don’t read. Seriously. Ever. But, my two sisters are polar opposites of me and they are always carting around a bag of novels and such. They read at the drop of a hat. They have a few minutes and they’ve got their books pulled out and are reading away. So, I was thinking…now that I’m learning about what this Kindle thingy is and what it’s for…perhaps I’ll buy one for every member of my family who is into reading books. If my mother were still alive, she would love to have a Kindle. I can even see needing to buy her a new one every other month because she loved to read in the bathtub at night and no doubt she would’ve taken it into the bathroom to read like she used to do with real books and no doubtedly would’ve dropped it into the bathtub like she did with her real books! :roflmao:

So, question for the voracious readers out there. Would this be a super gift and actually be appreciated by someone who is really into reading? My two sisters have 6 children of reading age between them. Perhaps a Kindle in every Xmas stocking might be good?

I just opened my kindle that my brother is buying for me for Christmas. I opened it early because I needed to just make sure it’s working okay so that I would have had time to deal with that if there was a problem. Fortunately it’s working like a dream. I have the cheapest version ($79) with ads, and I have no complaints about it at all. I’ve read about 10% of a novel already, which is pretty good considering how busy I’ve been lately.

I was actually thinking about buying a kindle for different family members, but some have told me that they either don’t read much or prefer going to the library to get paper books. I absolutely love mine, though, and I hope that nothing happens to it.

I think the lack of a backlight is not a huge problem. You can buy lighted cases for it if you should need that. I just prefer to not read in bed beside my wife. How hard is it to go somewhere else to read? I would think reading on a backlit device in a dark room would probably be really bad for your eyes, so even with a device like that I’d prefer to read with a light/lamp turned on.

Now I guess I need to go put my kindle back in the box in the next few days so I can “receive it” for Christmas. I am definitely looking forward to reading a lot more things this way. Reading for pleasure is a lot of fun if you’re reading something you enjoy.