Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

All good. It’s not downloadable in the UAE, and I didn’t know if that was for copyright or ‘other’ reasons. Now I know it’s probably ‘other’ (corruption of morals, and whatnot).

I want to buy a book that for some reason the publisher will only sell the kindle version to the USA only. Is there a way? Can my Dad buy it for me and gift it or would I still be restricted when I try to download it?

I believe that means that you must have a US registered Amazon account - meaning US credit card and address attached to it.

Right… which I don’t. But my dad does. Can he buy it and “gift” the book to me?

I don’t think that would work. From Amazon site.

Right… which I don’t. But my dad does. Can he buy it and “gift” the book to me?[/quote]
I don’t know about the gifting, but for a US-registered Amazon account you only need a “real” US address (there are ways to find this online: 100 Main Street Beverly Hills CA 90210 doesn’t work). You don’t need a US credit card. However, every once in a while Amazon does send letters to people and tell them they’re not allowed to do this - because after all we’re breaking copyright or some such nonsense - and a couple of weeks ago there was a woman in Norway whose Kindle library was wiped out because she was “illegally” buying books (using the UK store while in Norway, or something like that). Her library’s back now, in part because significant parts of the internet exploded, but it’s nonetheless very disconcerting. (Hint: get Calibre and the right plug-ins and strip the DRM from your Kindle books, just to be sure you can keep the content that you’ve bought.)

There’s lots on this if you search the Kindle forums. It certainly gets aggravating when a book is unavailable in the East Asia store, $20 in the Canada store, and $10 in the US store.

Check out “audible.com”. This is a subsidiary of Amazon and for a few bucks a month, you get 2 “free” books and a discount on other books. It is really nice to go to sleep with somebody reading to you. Some of my better memories with my grandmother. Try it. It’s addictive.

I’ve never actually tried an audiobook (other than The Ricky Gervais Show, but those weren’t really ‘books’).

I don’t know if I’d like it with a novel. You can’t go at your own pace, and create your own voices for the characters in your head.

I think I might only like it with non-fiction, read by the author, maybe.

Hi all, new to this forum and looking for help. I live in the US but visit my Dad in Taiwan every few years or so… I brought him a Kindle 3g on the last visit. He’s been enjoying it but is having trouble importing free Chinese ebooks from haodoo.net

Since I dont have a Kindle myself and am remote AND can’t read Chinese, it’s been difficult to troubleshoot.

Here are the steps I found online (perhaps even on this forum??!)

Step 1
Plug your Kindle into your computer’s USB port.

Step 2
Browse to the directory that contains your PRC file, and then copy it.

Step 3
Locate your Kindle in Windows Explorer or on your computer’s desktop, and then double-click on it to open it.

Step 4
Browse to the “Documents” directory in the Kindle, and then paste the PRC file into it.

Step 5
Unplug your Kindle from your computer.

Step 6
Go to your Kindle’s home screen to see the new e-book listed with your other books, and then select it to open it. this might take a moment…

and here is his result:
I still can not read the chinese article on my Kindle after I pluged the Kindle to my laptop, save the article on my pc, copied it to my Kindle…I know the file is inside the Kindle, just can not find the way to retreive it

I thought the books should just show up automatically? anyone with a Kindle 3g that can provide insight? much appreciated!!

I just don’t think Kindle is worth it anymore. I can get the same book on my droid, adjust the text and read just like I did on my now mothballed Kindle. Also, I prefer Audible.com but, admittedly, there are a number of titles that don’t show up. I am currently listening to Steven Hawkin’s books. WOW!

Here Here… except for Audible Book player on my Droid keeps crashing every ten minutes and the fact that I can’t see my droid phone’s screen outside or even in a vehicle these bright sunny days.

But you are right. I hardly touch my kindle if I’m in the house and am not listening to an audio book. If they fix the crashing problem, I really won’t touch my kindle except while out in the field. I don’t know why it crashes. I also have Overdrive, an audio book app from my public library that never crashes.
GIVE ME AN E-INK DROID>

OK, my new smartphone/pad (Padfone Infinity with the added 10 inch shell pad) has this Amazon Kindle feature. I was browsing it last night, you can purchase books and magazines. Now, I am particularly interested in magazines. Has anyone compared the magazine prices/quality/features between Amazon Kindle and Zinio? I will be using a local credit card to purchase the stuff, no US no VPN no runaround, just simple DL the purchased stuff -at least I think it is simple.

I’m writing this on the behalf of my gf: Does anyone know where I can get hold of kindle books in traditional Chinese? I’m aware that you can get it on amazon.cn, but it’s all in simplified Chinese.

A tablet is definitely nice (I don’t have one but would like one for other reasons), but that kind of defeats the point of the Kindle.

I don’t want to stare at a tablet or computer monitor for hours. It hurts my eyes. I’m not as young as I used to be, my eyes dry out, and they get sore.
Kindles use e-ink/e-paper. It’s the same as starting at a paper book. It doesn’t hurt my eyes. Even the backlit Paperwhite is the same. You can read it from any angle, still get audiobooks, and you can look at it for hours because it’s “natural”, unlike an LED screen.

For a reader like me, it’s perfect. Still rockin’ a Kindle Keyboard keyboard. May upgrade to a Paperwhite/Voyager in the future, but I’m in no rush.

Anyone know of a shop in Taiwan that sells Kindle Voyages? I’d like to at least get a look at one, and amazon won’t ship them here.

Reasons to buy a Kindle:

It’s not a backlit screen and is much better for you than a smartphone/tablet.
Significantly longer battery life although that’s not important if you only use it at home.

But for an occasional reader a smartphone/tablet will do fine.

I guess this is old news but since Amazon no longer ships Kindles to Taiwan (I had 2 shipped here previously) what other similar options exist in Taiwan? We have a couple of Kobos but they don’t list Taiwan as having retailers. I don’t want my kids reading from a smartphone or iPad like I see so many people doing here.

Apparently they do, but you’ve got to go to a different section. You’ve specifically got to go to the International Shipping section and buy it from there, not the regular section.

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss … rds=kindle

I haven’t tried it however. A friend gave me the link when I mentioned the same shipping issue but I ended up buying one in a store when I was in Japan a few weeks ago so didn’t need to test it.

I’m not sure when that changed, but it’s (worrying!) news to me - I had my first Kindle shipped here without any issues, but that was a number of years ago; I bought my second one when I was in Canada last summer, but I think that was just to save a few bucks on shipping.

I know when I bought a Paperwhite last summer, not all of the Kindles could be shipped internationally, so maybe other Kindle versions can be shipped to Taiwan - but I just had a look through amazon.com and I’m getting “does not ship to New Taipei City, Taiwan; Republic of China” for all of them.

My next step would be messing around with amazon.cn and see if it’s more useful.

Oh, ninja’d by cfimages. OK, here’s the link for the Paperwhite as listed on the page cfimages links to: that seems to work OK. No idea how we’re suppose to find that unless someone gives us a link; it certainly wasn’t easy to find from the normal Amazon Kindle pages.

My Kindle’s battery lasts a month on one charge. My Android’s battery lasts a day if I’m lucky. Plus, the Kindle’s “electronic ink” is very easy on the eyes. When traveling, I much prefer reading on my Kindle. Also, I prefer listening to mp3s on an mp3 player so my Android’s batteries don’t drain too quickly.