Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

The Kindle sounds nice, but I can’t bring myself to buy something I’ve never actually seen, held or used. Also, I tend to drop, mash and spill food on my books.

I know exactly what you mean - but this past summer I had the chance to read a book on my brother’s Kindle (second generation?), and I really like the device. I do wonder how much Amazon is missing out on by not having display models available, because like you, I wasn’t willing to buy till I’d tried one out.

I’ll definitely be buying one in the next year or so - I hope to hear how the original poster fares, because what he’s going through may persuade me to wait until next year’s annual visit to Canada. (Besides, it’ll take me that long to go through all the other unread books I’ve accumulated.)

EDIT: Oops, not the original poster. The thread goes back a bit farther than that.

I ordered the new wifi-only model and it went through customs without any problem.[/quote]

Did they ship it through DHL or UPS? I’ve been on the phone with Amazone three times and gone back and forth emailing them a half dozen times. Customs in Taiwan wants the model number and they won’t release it until they get it. DHL has no idea what the number is and Amazon has given me five different numbers to give customs, but I can’t talk to customs directly, so I have to try and email/call DHL to tell them.

Anyone know Taiwan customs phone number?

Oh, and now DHL just told me they (or customs, not sure) are going to charge me extra for changing the model number I originally supplied customs with (which was giving to me by Amazon). This is awesome. Haha.

DHL.

[quote=“Amazon”]What if the actual Import Fees are more than the Import Fees Deposit I was charged?

For items sold by Amazon Export Sales, Inc., you will not be charged any additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit we estimated.[/quote]

If they want more money, tell them to take it up with Amazon.

So are people saying if you use the WIFI capability at all you will get charged by Amazon, no matter what you are downloading, it’s not an ‘open’ system?

The earlier comments referred to the 3G wireless capability which may incur an additional charge depending on which country your account is based in and where it is actually used. With wifi there is no additional surcharge.

Glad to know, thinking of getting one myself.

I ordered the 139 USD kindle, see if it gets it here smoothly. It seems most people didn’t submit a UC number, sometimes when you give customs extra information they check it, if you don’t give it they don’t check, maybe that was the reason?

I ordered a Kindle last week.That import fees deposit is a new one to me - was charged but doesn’t appear on the invoice. Was supposed to be delivered today but I keep having to email documents to UPS so maybe next week sometime (if ever).

I have a first-generation Kindle with me on this trip, with lots of content loaded onto it. First gen has nowhere near the quality of INTERFACE as gen3, but you’ll be able to get a sense quickly if you like the form factor and e-Ink. I love it, and I have vision problems…

And actually, it’s a loaner from a friend back home. I was having the exact same crisis you are, not being sure about dropping the bread on something I’d never even touched before. Borrowing the Kindle this month has convinced me that I WANT, WANT, WANT… and since I’m an Amazon Prime member, I’m going to do all I can to get one before I come here again in November.

I’m going to the Forumosa games gathering Sunday at 2. If you want to come there too (see the thread in the Games section for details on where they meet), I’ll bring it and you’re welcome to sit there and read it. Please PM me before then, though, so that I know to bring it with me.

Cheers!

By the way, I’ve noticed that if you override your location when you purchase e-books from Amazon to be in the US, the price is about US$2 less than outside the US.

You’ll get a broader selection of books as well. (Did I say that somewhere above? Was that this thread?). I’ve lately subscribed to Audible, and discovered a FAR broader selection of audiobooks if I use a VPN to pretend I’m in the USA. There’s no longer that big a discrepancy in the e-book market, but there’s some, and as you say - the price can be different too.

OK, so I want to finally order myself a Kindle.

What should I be doing to ensure smooth delivery? What happens with customs and stuff? From what others have said, I guess I can’t just assume it’ll show up at my door.

[quote=“lostinasia”]OK, so I want to finally order myself a Kindle.

What should I be doing to ensure smooth delivery? What happens with customs and stuff? From what others have said, I guess I can’t just assume it’ll show up at my door.[/quote]

I had to fill out a form and send a copy of my passport. This extended the delivery window a few days but that may have been partially due to sending my docs via email instead of by fax.

Enjoying mine, reminds me abit of my Apple Newton but without the heft.

For the Kindle 3 Wifi I didn’t have to do anything; they just delivered it straight away.

Mine was the wifi as well. Unlucky I suppose.

Thanks, but to whom? Is this part of the initial order process, or something I do later? Do I basically just order it through Amazon and then see what happens?

Thanks, but to whom? Is this part of the initial order process, or something I do later? Do I basically just order it through Amazon and then see what happens?[/quote]

I had to send it to the courier so it could clear customs. A minor inconvenience.