Amazon picks New Taipei City for new innovation center

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: From New Taipei City

Amazon meets cha bu dou. Should be interesting.

4 Likes

so are we going to get an amazon.tw to go along with this or what?

4 Likes

No. This is AWS only, Amazon’s cloud offering. Just a bunch of servers.

Meanwhile…This shows theres nothing much going on in Taiwan. Geopolitics …

1 Like

Are there really that many startups in Taiwan for AWS clients? Maybe this will help businesses abandon antiquated practices.
How much is the investment?
How many engineers will they employ?

I think this is the bigger deal:

Amazon intends eventually to open an artificial intelligence R&D center in Taiwan, according to [this local news report], and that project would need engineers. Meanwhile, America’s other tech giants, such as IBM, Google and Microsoft, have all [announced plans]to develop AI technology in Taiwan. They all look set to be chasing the same engineering talent, which costs less than in the Silicon Valley and other industrialized parts of Asia.

can we get amazon proper instead? yahoo bid is pants

1 Like

AFAICT, it’s not even an AWS region. It seems to be a sort of coworking space where you can also talk to AWS consultants about how to use their services. The nonsense in the article aside, I assume it’s just because there are lots of startups using AWS in Taiwan.

Yes, you are right. Sales and consulting only.

Look at all that investment! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This is a much bigger deal: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3474621

Looks like an AI cluster is forming in Taiwan.

1 Like

Not really they are just trying to grab any engineers related to AI , global competition for this professionals.

That’s what we want.

Here are the number of new AI R&D jobs in TW, by company.

Google 2,000
Microsoft 200
Amazon 200
IBM 100
Yahoo! 100
Graphen 24

2 Likes

Source?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2019/03/27/google-new-taiwan-campus-hardware/

1 Like

One more: Yahoo.
Biggest in Asia.

OK, who do I have to kill to get one of those jobs? I am already doing 12 hours a day, that ain’t working.

2 Likes

Show up to the interview with a Patagonia vest and use initialisations like FOMO and you are in… oh take a laptop with lots of stickers on it too.

2 Likes

who do i have to kill to get amazon in taiwan?

2 Likes