Amazon Rainforest Wild fires

It is pretty disturbing to see almost NO TV coverage of what’s going on.
What’s used to be called the lungs of humanity is being destroyed by the minutes.
Unfortunately, this is not Notre dame de Paris.

Please share articles, pictures, links in here

1 Like

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/08/wildfires-in-amazon-caused-by-deforestation/

1 Like

It’s concerning indeed. Can’t help but feel that if some futile celebrity was trapped in there , there would be more attention :thinking: I vote we send in the Kardashian’s . Hope more is done

2 Likes

could not agree more.
It has been almost 3 weeks now and only a few tv coverage.
a total shame

1 Like

Worse: the Brazilian government is using the fires to displace the indigenous populations. They stand in the way of “progress”, ie. multinational companies planting soy, corn, sugar, whatever until the soil gives no more. So a fire starts nearby, the village is destroyed, such a pity, send the indigenous tribe sto teh city, but there is no work and can´t go back because government people has taken over their land.

Think Greece but with tribes who have been fighting colonization.
That is why no tv coverage. Matto Grosso is called that for a reason, but mostly because it is a lawless place.

So many wild animals dead, horrible devastation… But 500 year old trees can be sold for so much, so keep cutting and keep the fires burning.

Heck, even Bolivia rented a plane to drop water on their fires, but Brasil can´t? Rather won´t.

2 Likes

The worst is that he is blaming NGO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=nBWoEE5ilUM

They burn the forests because in that area of the world slash and burn cultivation is very popular. They clear the entire forest then burn it to make the soil fertile for farming. When they deplete the land, they would move on and burn some more forest. Even the natives there supposedly farm this way too. The depleted land would probably restore itself in a few years and the process repeats.

But they want to use CITES to protect endangered species while probably thousands of acres full of Brazilian rosewood are being burned up. Think of how many guitars that could make.

Personally I think CITES do nothing to protect endangered species, if anything it just encourages poaching.

Slash and burn is bad enough at small scale. This is something at a scale no one has seen before. The Amazon was already at a tipping point, in danger, before this tragedy.

The issue here is this extreme right, racist, misogynist government they have that hates indigenous populations, loves big business, and is willing to roll over anyone who stands between them and profits. They -meaning government backed forces representing big business interests- had already stepped up the murder of activists and indigenous leaders before this fire started. Links after lunch.

So CITES or anything else my foot, they who have the money are the law. The 500 year old tropical woods and rosewood included are needed in the forest for climate and water reasons. If there was some kind of healthy usage balance but there is not. Too much greed.

3 Likes

Indeed , the high demand for Rosewood seems to lead back to a certain county , willing to pay high prices for nice furniture . As things get more scarce , they want it more …from species to fauna . Bastards . Still I guess we are all guilty of using resources that are finite . Humanz are just selfish , it’s not going to change :pensive: That’s all I can say about that .

True.
There’s only deforestation because there’s demand.
It’s the same issue with sweatshops on underdeveloped countries.

I can understand the need for regulations but I think sustainable practice is far better than just banning stuff. Ivory has been on CITES for so long but elephants are still killed for their tusk. Surely there’s a way to farm the stuff? Same with all the rosewoods… They can be managed but all they want to do is ban it.

India actually has a pretty sustainable practice for their rosewoods, it also keeps the jobs in the country which helps them too. But this CITES ban on rosewood probably means the jobs are gone and people will just end up poaching the stuff anyways.

1 Like

Damn, I can feel my Eco warrior Forumosa badge slipping away :runaway:
I just feel a sense of sadness at the demand caused by superstition and stupidity.

And make sure she burns to dead.

Wait, will all the fat stored in her ass that would be pretty hazardous

1 Like

Developing countries have sweatshops because lack of rule of law. developed countries also have sweatshops. Difference is in one they make the fancy brand names.

Indeed most of that land as I explained will be used for crops that are exported, not eaten by locals. It is not subsistence agriculture. And it si deadly to the soil as that kind of monocrops requires a lot of pesticides and later fertilizers that in turn will pollute the water.

And in the big South American countries water is private, not public. You pay dearly for it.

Basically there are not enough rosewoods, there are not enough elephants. we are killing marine life, we will end up alone and hungry.

And back to this Brasil case: the wood is gone, it has been destroyed.

So do elephants breed like Pandas or something? Is there absolutely no sustainable way of having ivory and not causing elephants to go extinct?

I heard Bob Taylor (who owns Taylor guitars) said how the African loggers who cuts ebony throws away any ebony that isn’t perfectly black (basically if there’s even a hint of brown, it goes to the trash). Bob Taylor offered to buy the not so perfectly black ebonies because he felt what they did was wasteful and now everyone accepts ebonies that aren’t perfectly black.

I just think government’s solution to save the environment seems to be banning everything, in fact that seems to be the default solution of left leaning people. If it’s a problem, ban it. Can they not think of some other solution so we can still have things without resorting to bans? Do governments really think if they ban something people will just automatically follow those laws?

Trying to get countries without rule of laws to enforce bans, international or otherwise isn’t going to work.

what i have read is that there is a black market for the tusk of mammoths. Plenty out there in the frozen lands of Alaska and Siberia.
Maybe a short term solution

Eh please let´s start a thread somewhere else. This is about the current tragedy unfolding in the Amazon, which has global environmental consequences, genocide and no laws involved.

If we wanted to ban something here, it would be the government starting fires to grab land. It is a completely different situation.

I actually didn’t know a rain forest can suffer from serious forest fires.

It takes a lot of deforestation to achieve that. The data that has been released is astonishing and the pictures from space unbelievable.