Ambivalent sense of cultural identity; needs help

Dear Forumosa users
Like many other fellow overseas chinese and ABC’s out there with an ambivalent sense of cultural identity and international experience, it’s hard to find the right fit for a career job that utilizes your bilingual ability and international experience to its full potential.
Here’s where I’m different than the rest:
I’m not technically born in the US or Canada, hence the generalization ABC, do not apply. I look Chinese, and I do not hold a US or Canadian passport, but rather, just a Taiwanese passport. However, I grew up overseas and have been educated in various countries by native English speakers for about 17 consecutive years (kindergarten-university). I graduated with a BA honors in Canada and have a TEFL certificate. I have been teaching English in cram schools for the past 2 years and have served my alternative military duties for 13 months. I have been back in Taiwan for about 2 years and do not have an extensive network. I’m looking for a career path and not just a job. I’m ready to resign my current job at a local school at the end of August but have not decided on which career path to embark on. I have tried using job banks such as the 1111 and facebook job opening groups, with little progress.

Here’s where your opinion and input matters:
I’m interested in hearing from you all, what a person with my background and abilities could potentially embark on as a career path, that has advancement opportunities and basic benefits such as healthcare, pension, etc. I’m open to teaching, but only to students who actually want to learn (so not so much cram schools) I’m also open to foreign companies who train and treat their staff well, and could use someone with bilingual abilities such as myself.

What you get out of contributing to this thread is a sense of accomplishment in knowing that you have made an impact and potentially, even a big difference in a person’s life. I wish I could offer more, but being anonymous on the internet prevents that. I value the opinions and suggestions of others, but I do have thoughts of my own.

After encountering much racism in the market of teaching English, and have changed my approach of marketing myself as a foreigner with Chinese sensibilities (I’m bilingual) to a Taiwanese with a predominately western education looking for a bilingual position. I’ve had better success with this approach, but is stuck with credential issues when teaching licences at higher tier schools ask for it, and my native English fluency is questioned solely on the fact that I do not hold a passport from a native English speaking country. Anyone who have worked with me can vouch for my native English fluency; you don’t need to have a passport to prove it.

I could go on, but I hope to hear from constructive feedback and posts that stick to the topic. Thanks!

Update
Here are my other qualifications and abilities:
-Bilingual in both English and Chinese (mandarin)
-2 years of teaching English to mostly children, and some adult tutoring, Seasonal experience in sales, 1 year experience in customer service, 1 year experience in working with children and youth.
-28 years of age with about 4 years of work experience added together.
-Multicultural background with living experiences in Indonesia, Malawi (Africa), Canada, USA, and Italy. Is a son of a diplomat for the ministry of foreign affairs, which is both a blessing and a curse.
-Competent with basic computing skills and usage of software such as Microsoft office. Some video editing and website maintenance skills, but no experience working in IT.
===Interests====
Computer gaming, cultural exchanges, living and experiencing Taiwan, teaching students who are genuinely interested in learning, building a lifestyle and maintaining a work-life balance.

Desires to travel abroad and relocate? Not considering at the moment because of difficulties with immigration and long-term residency. Working abroad is only a temporary experience and not what I consider as a career path unless I immigrate over. I also have a local girlfriend who I am committed to, and won’t relocate unless we both agree to immigrate. I also have real estate and family support here in Taiwan. Ideal work location is in Taipei City.

Just don’t teach man. I think being able to speak both english / mandarin is a big plus point for all companies here.
you don’t need to ‘embark’ in any career path. Just ‘test’ it out here in Taiwan. Go get a decent job in IT if you have a vague interest in them. so on and so on. Walk up to the 101 building and take a picture of all the company names on that building, go find their contact number and send in your CV.

Completing your alternative service gets you some leeway outside Taiwan! apply for the austalia/UK exchange permit thingy that lets you work for 2 years. I know that what I want to do after I finish my service

Taiwan’s working environment is poor and the pay is low and opportunities for career advancement not very numerous.
So I recommend you to first review your idea of developing a career here. Even IF you are successful in your career here, you’ll most likely be paid peanuts to an equivalent positions overseas. It’s not easy working here and it’s most likely to end up with frustration and relative poverty than success. Cram schools are disorganized and have their own issues, but the expectation of extra work for free is usually limited.
Why don’t you check out Canada, HK, China etc? You could get started in Taiwan in terms of work experience but park the career expectation for a bit.

You’ve not really talked about your abilities and interests here, all you’ve said is that you have a Western education, can teach a bit, and speak English and Chinese fluently.

Same boat here, not ABC, but spend a good portion of growing up in the US, so if you find one let me know.

I’ve come to feel that for people with a good grasp of both worlds (i.e. feels like we can belong to both at the same not not totally fit in), the career path to utilize this strength might be somewhere in marketing/product marketing/sales marketing… especially in the entertainment/design/planing for cities, buildings or products that kind of thing. For instance, I can see that Taiwan’s TV industry is a mess. They can’t even copy a program correctly. Everything program made looks cheap and filled with regurgitated dribble. But nothing seems to haven have any idea how to make it better. As opposed to Korea, where they copy the best things to the T, they have Saturday Night live, Master Chef, where the quality looks amazing. At the same time they have no trouble creating fresh original stuff like Running Man. We see it, some times people with pure Taiwanese background don’t. Or like many foreigners, we have trouble grasping how Taiwan let its buildings and cities looks like shit, when the island on its own is majestic and beautiful. There are things people like us can lend a different perspective and have an edge because of these perspectives.

I currently am stuck in Engineering, where none of what makes me different is of any use to me. But I know just up a couple floors in marketing I might stand out a little more, but I hve no idea how to get there. Take MBA? it’s about as far from my experiences as possible.

The main issues though are, 1. Asian parents usually don’t encourage kids to go down the road of art/design/entertainment/. 2. One needs connection to get inducted into those fields in Taiwan.

I mean there are many people with good connections who came back to Taiwan to do music, yet most music still sounds like crap… Again, look over to Korea… those people really learned all the best skills to package and sell stuff… Some of their music sounds more fun and interesting than main stream American and European music…