AMD vs Intel, who takes the cake?

Even regardless of security issues, Ryzen is offering an insane price/performance ratio. For anyone using applications that benefit from extra cores, AMD is the only sensible choice right now at most price ranges.

Where does Intel have the edge? Benchmark programs that test specifically single core speed maybe?

1 Like

Please do. :grin:

Trying not to talk too much techno babble.

One of the Intel optimisations in question, leaps ahead and executes instructions way before they are needed. Trouble is it leaps ahead and loads data which is sometimes sensitive, and leaves it there in the open for the other process on the core to see! The attackers could spy when passwords are loaded into memory, say when a user is logging in as root (administrator), then in the other process on the core, read that memory, before the processor had a chance to clean it up. Boom - the other process, i.e not the legitimate one which is loading up your password file, can now see your password.

The two processes on the core also store some temporary data in a shared cache. Here’s the thing about processor cache: by loading data from the cache and timing it, the time it takes to load tells an attacker what has recently been cached. So again the attackers could run a nasty little process which while a user is logging as admin/root, looks at the cache entries, and see what has recently been cached. This process knows that if the user is currently logging in, and there are some very responsive cache items, they are probably filled with sensitive information.

So you can see how Intel were cheating by muddling up sensitive data of privileged processes with regular old processes. This is hard coded into the design, very hard for them to escape. My predicition is a slow decline and carve up, a la HTC.

3 Likes

Yeah and this is great news for TSMC. If they can force Intel to divert spending from fabrication to design, TSMC will have the whole CPU market.
The smart thing for Intel is to merge their fabs with Samsung. Tough pill to swallow but I don’t see any other viable options.

2 Likes

Intel was sitting comfortably on their monopoly, suppressing any competitors through illegal market manipulation. Driving consumer prices up.

Now their fabs are way behind. Their chips are ridden with security flaws, prioritizing performance over security.

Go TSMC and AMD! AMD still has a lot potential in server and laptop market.

1 Like

Pretty easy sales tactic for any AMD rep walking into any corporation anywhere, just talk about Intel security issues and close the deal.

And you did a good job on that!

2 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

Jesus Christ, I knew AMD was gaining a lot of market, but Intel is actually getting assblasted.
Hopefully AMD will not become greedy and follow Intel’s pricing “”“strategy”"".

2 Likes

I wished more computers offered AMD as an option.

For desktops, you can usually build them with AMD. They’re not hard to build.

I haven’t had a desktop in ages. Move around too much.

For laptops, ASUS seems to be growing their selection

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/All-Series/

Click AMD on the left.

1 Like

3 Likes

AMD needs more of TSMC’s 7nm chips but TSMC is at full capacity. They have to wait until 3Q when iPhones switch to 5nm.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-cpu-tsmc-7nm-capacity%3Famp

Looks like Ryzen mobile is finally decent as well. Another blow to Intel.

1 Like

The mobile market (tablets and laptops) is what i’m really looking forward to, because currently AMD offers good performance, good price and low power consumption. It’s ideal for mobile products, we just need more manufacturers to shy away from intel.

Every time that Acer, Asus, Lenovo etc show a new laptop on social media, we should have a million bots replying:“Oh wow this looks great! If it had an Amd cpu I’d preorder right now!”, or something along those lines.

1 Like

From everything I’ve read, Intel thinks they’re doing fine

1. What nano you’re on isn’t what customers care about.
  2. Intel has dug its way out of the pits before.

Looks like that time has come.

2 Likes