America threatening to ban TikTok shows the West's decline

When you have cancer, you gotta cut it out or cancer eats you alive

So tens of millions of Chinese should starve because they can’t trade fairly? Okay then.

More of the same here. As soon as America is on the back foot, free market capitalism goes out the window.

The further the West sinks, the more the facade will drop I think.

2 Likes

Lets me guess… You live in the evil west? Taiwan, maybe? You are welcome to share your data with Facebook, Google, and you are welcome to share your data with TicToc, I guess it is still valid in Taiwan? Are you allowed to share your data to facebook/google from China? What chances do you have if living in China to just access facebook, google? What about sharing your opinions (is it equal to data?). You can share your opinions more or less freely in the evil west, is it the same if you try for example to mock Xi on Tic Toc in China? Winnie the Pooh trope for example? Or mock Putin on Yandex-based media in Russia? There is a very very old Soviet cold war joke, two sailors argueing in the bar on some neutral territory about expression freedoms, one American, one Soviet. American sailor says: I can go in the front of the White House and shout: Reagan, you are a fucking asshole! Soviet sailor replies, so what? I can also go in the front of the Kremlin and also shout: Reagan, you are a fucking asshole!

1 Like

True of some segments of America but not others. More applicable to the fanatical RW, but their anti-free market shtick is driven as much populist grievance/victimhood ideology as it is by fear of competition in business interests. The extremist fringe appear prepared to torch the earth and abandon free markets in the name of hating ‘wokeness’.

https://www.pionline.com/esg/desantis-launches-anti-esg-alliance-18-states

I would not drive an electric car in Wyoming during the winter months. I’ve been there. It’s a whole lotta nothing in between more nothing.

Still posting in class?

1 Like

It’s my free period! But yeah, I’ll blame the phone for that one!

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

Defend the Fourth Amendment. Free Edward Snowden.

On how researching China’s surveillance capabilities for a CIA presentation got him thinking about the potential for domestic surveillance within the U.S.

I’m invited to give a presentation about how China is hacking the United States intelligence services, defense contractors, anything that we have available in the network, which I know a little bit about but not that much about, because they have the person who is supposed to be giving the presentation drop out. So I go looking … seeing what exactly is it that China is doing? What are their capabilities? Are they hacking? Are they doing domestic surveillance? Are they doing international surveillance? What is occurring?

And I’m just shocked by the extent of their capabilities. I’m appalled by the aggression with which they use them. But also, in a strange way, surprised by the openness with which they use them. They’re not hiding it. They’re just open and out there, saying, “Yeah, we’re doing this. Yeah, we’re hacking you. What are you going to do about it?”

And I think this is a distinction: I think, yes, the NSA is spying — of course they’re spying — but we’re only spying overseas, we’re not spying on our guys at home. We wouldn’t do that. We have firewalls, we have trip wires for people to hit. But surely these are only affecting terrorists, because we’re not like China. But this plants the first seeds of doubt where I see if the capability is there.

On what he discovered about U.S. domestic surveillance

Over the final years of my career … I see that we have the same capabilities as the Chinese government, and we are applying them domestically — just as they are. We have an internal strategy at the NSA, which was never publicly avowed, but it was all over their top-secret internal slides, that said the aspiration was to “collect it all.” What this means was they were not just collecting and intercepting communications from criminals, spies, terrorists, people of intelligence value — they were collecting on everyone, everywhere, all of the time, just in case, because you never know what’s going to be interesting. And if you miss it when it’s passing by, you might not get another chance.

And so what happened was every time we wrote an email, every time you typed something into that Google search box, every time your phone moved, you sent a text message, you made a phone call … the boundaries of the Fourth Amendment were being changed. This was without even the vast majority of members of Congress knowing about it. And this is when I start to think about maybe we need to know about this, maybe if Congress knew about this, maybe if the courts knew about this, we would not have the same policies as the Chinese government.

– Edward Snowden On The NSA, His Book 'Permanent Record' And Life In Russia : NPR

I doubt the people at the top care one way or the other what the peasants think. It’s probably just a matter of coincidence that these choices align with a certain demographic.

Always remember, there’s a big club, and you’re not in it, be it woke or anti woke.

1 Like

I just gave you examples though of what happens in the West. My whole point that people seem to be missing again and again on here.

Maybe it would help if you state these facts out loud:

America is currently holding an Australian citizen in custody indefinitely, who they also discussed assassinating, because he exposed war crimes America committed when they invaded a foreign country.

Or maybe try: The UK sentenced a man to prison because he made a funny YouTube video pretending his pug is a Nazi.

And these were just the two very high profile examples I have off the top of my head. The UK actually throws more people in jail for wrong speak than Russia does. I think it’s like in the hundreds per year.

So yeah, try saying those facts and then repeat what you told me. I’m not here to claim China is some angel tho.

5 Likes

Maybe this is another thing people don’t know or don’t think about. It’s something that won’t effect you until it does, just like exposing American war crimes won’t have you assassinated until you witness some.

2 Likes

They have their ‘social’ surveillance thing, apart from that, not much social about China.

Haven’t they got enough knife crime to be dealing with? Have metal knives and forks been banned yet for plastic ones. :rofl:

1 Like

It hurts the feelings of the Chinese people!

9 Likes

I was going to read this thread but I got side tracked by watching split screen TikTok videos of people showing over the top reactions to Andrew Tate quotes. My favourites are when 60 year old women do this to get 7 likes after paying a bot ÂŁ300 to teach them how to promote their brand new and instantly failing life coach business.

TikTok isn’t an expression of free speech. It’s pixelated crack cocaine.

Like and subscribe for a free blueberry vape.

3 Likes

More free?

Tell that to the Uighurs, HKer, Tibetans, and anyone who opposes the CCP. Or even CCP members who aren’t in the right crowd like Jack Ma. Did someone not pay attention to their draconian lockdowns? You haven’t seen their quarantine facilities? Genocide?

More powerful?

China has become more powerful but they have also made no allies besides buying them from poor countries and extorting them after with stupid loans. Not sure they can continue as their economy declined and how friendly these countries will be once they see their ignorance and hatred towards the west was misguided to trust China as a friend.

All their neighbors hate them. Even the Philippines ran to China like you hating the US, china said fuck you and made a fool of Duterte who got bend over. Something maybe you should take a lesson in.

China’s military power has grown on paper. But as we’ve seen in Ukraine. Just how some training and weapons from the west can do against Russians throwing troops at them. China’s military isn’t proven, their military structure like Putins are probably just as incompetent from corruption. As Mao said, power comes from the barrel of a gun. These authoritarians all fear their own military and always sacrifice competence over loyalty.

Rich?

China has gotten very rich for sure. Beyond what we could have imagined. But as their economy face some real challenges and current slow downs it’s not clear if this growth will continue. Even their own people who have gotten rich are desperately trying to move assets out of China. Even the richest man in China Jack Ma gets bent over by the CCP.

Let’s not forget even CCP members desperately try to send their kids to US schools. Where does Xis daughter goes to school again! Tsinghua or Beijing? Nah. Harvard :joy:

I honestly think this one of the the most retarded post of all time on here. And never go full retard man. That’s what happens to you when your brain cells dies from from too much TikTok I guess. As I’ve mentioned and you’ve not responded. Many of us don’t get the privilege of sharing data with China because of real consequences.

There are plenty of criticisms of the west, but to say you rather live in China :joy: it’s foolish and an overreaction to TikTok of all things. Tell me again that western firms can go into China freely right?

I’ve said plenty on the decline of the west but this is about the new Cold War between the US/West and China. Not about the wests decline. China has been the aggressor at everyone, literally everyone. It’s about time someone slap them up a bit and give them a taste of their own medicine.

2 Likes

It goes further, all of their doctrine, tactics, and weapons are based on the same soviet weapons and tactics that the russians are losing with. The russians didn’t do so bad with air superiority in syria and chechnya, but clearly getting their asses handed to them. The chinese do have the advantage of some weapons they have taken or developed from the west, like hummers and “hunting rifles”, but as you point out they don’t have any recent experience. The most experienced people they have are the ones who lost against Vietnam

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: From Russia invades