American-born Taiwanese with American fiance - is gold card best option?

My father: Taiwanese citizen in America with household registration in Taiwan
Me: American citizen with no Taiwanese passport yet
My fiance: American citizen who earns enough to qualify for Gold Card

All three of us are in California. My fiance and I would like to go to Taiwan together for a year or two where I want to pursue Taiwanese citizenship. We’re not interested in working in Taiwan.

Questions:

1. Is it better if we get married first and then try to get him in through me? Or should he apply separately as an individual for the gold card?
  2. Could he switch from the gold card to a spousal visa/ARC after we are married and in Taiwan?
1 Like

I think gold card is better, it will give him many rights from day 1, whereas as a spouse it might take longer.

That means the “Employment Gold Card” is not meant for your case. It can be recalled at any time, if the government feels you don’t use it in the way it was meant to be used - employment.

My mistake, I meant that we are not looking for work in Taiwan. He already has a job working remotely for an American company that he plans to keep but who knows how long that will last with the pandemic. We’d be more comfortable if he were on visa where he could stay indefinitely without worrying about employment. I already know he would qualify I’m just more interested in knowing if it’s possible to switch over.

1 Like

anytime you can. From gold card to spouse ARC.
With necessary documents.

1 Like

Yes it is possible. You might find this interesting : https://taiwangoldcard.com/

1 Like