American Citizen with no ID barred from Banking Help! No Bit Coin, No Paypal F***

Well, I do have a passport. Yes, and that was fine up to a few years ago.
I transferred money back and forth via Paypal I even gave money to Formosa friends in the states to so they could gift me mp3s of hard to find rare music.

I need to access my bank accounts and money get some over here. In the past that was no problem.

Try Bit Coin, you say. OK. I tried registering with major bit coins providers and they won’t let me prove my identity.

Another penalty for being an American. The identity field says, do you want to Change your country? No problem, just hold up your passport here and scan.
I do. The next message I get is. The passport is not a valid document for the USA. You need a state issued driver’s license or state issued ID.
My driver’s license expired about a year ago. There may be a grace period but since my parents died my business address was changed to my brother’s address. He said that he doesn’t want my driver’s license to be parked there because it may affect his insurance rates. True or not, I have to respect his wishes.

The only thing I can do now is well, transfer money between accounts in the same bank, wire money by filling out snail mail forms or close the accounts.

E-mails or chats to the big bitcoin houses are never returned. The managers at PayPal tell me that what I’m trying to do, though not illegal is "flagged” by the system and even though I show all the proofs I can, they say that they cannot go against the system. It even rejected the manager’s override.
I don’t quite believe it. How could a computer override humans with a brain?
OK, what can I do? Can I get a state issued ID or am I going to be a nonperson?

At this point I feel that I have done everything a reasonable person has done. I have gone around many roadblocks in my over twenty years of being overseas, but now I can’t get through voicemail blocks or even being told that “we know everything you say is true but we can’t do a thing because the computer doesn’t like you.”

I need to hear from specific people who tried and succeeded or who tried and failed. It’s quite simple. In the US is some money. It belongs to me. I want some. I also want to put some back to. It’s not an unreasonable request. Especially, that is exactly what I have been doing for almost eighteen years with no problem. These new rules don’t stop big fish. They only stop small fry trying to go about their legal activities.

What are you trying to do exactly?

2 Likes
  1. Withdraw small amounts of money from my American accounts.
    2 Send the money here via Paypal or Bitcoin collected it and use it
    3 Or make purchase via Paypal or Bitcoin’s format.

Before, that is what I did. I withdrew money from my American bank account via my American address. And bought things with Paypal

The problem is, paypal won’t let me take money out of my bank anymore.
I wanted to open a Bitcoin account but the site says that for American Citizens the passport is not accepted as identification. You must have a state driver’s licence or equivalent.
Again, my license expired. And if I can renew it, my brother doesn’t want another licensed driver at his house. Says insurance is to high.

7/11 has international ATMs. That should hold you over for a while. @yyy (I think it was him) told me once you don’t need an ARC to open a bank account here, so maybe he has some advice.

Will your brother be OK for you to use his address for a state ID instead? That shouldn’t affect his insurance.

even the Cathay Bank ATMs in most MRTs should work. I’m really confused as to what the big picture is here, what’s the issue?

1 Like

I don’t get it either. :woman_shrugging:

His premiums shouldn’t increase because of having another driver at his house. Unless that is a state specific law, or company policy, I would think you would need to be added to his insurance specifically.

1 Like

True, ask the NIA for an ID number (統一證號). It should be accepted in lieu of an ARC number.

@discobot quote

Did someone unplug Discobot? :eek:

Let’s try again. How could a computer override a human? @discobot quote

Okay, looks like humans have the upper hand… for now… :robot: :robot: :robot:

Thank you for your help. The Federal Credit Union I’m talking about doesn’t issue ATM’s anymore. They only issue credit cards that are attached to the account
I have “credit” in Taiwan but my credit rating is non-existent in America, so that’s out. I doubt they would give me a credit card.

I was accustomed to using paypal to make my withdrawls. I be ok using bitcoin too.
Basically, I’m being stopped from taking money from my US bank via paypal or bitcoin.
Getting a state ID, that’s a brilliant idea but what can I tell them? I have assets in America and I need the proper ID, even if I have not lived in the state for twenty years?
Any other alternatives? I would just like bitcoin of Paypal again.

The Bank E.Sun handles Paypal in Taiwan. Open an account there, link it to your Paypal account. Voila! (Apparently)

Why do you have to tell “them” anything? You’re there to get an ID number. They’re not going to interrogate you about your history and the reasons why you’re applying for one. It’s not their business. As long as you have whatever documents you need (I assume it’s easier to get than an ARC).

1 Like

My problem is not on the Taiwanese side. I’m apparently barred from TAKING OUT Money from my American bank account.

1. I can’t prove who I am for b Bitcoin because I don’t have a Valid US ID.
    To them, Americans need a driver’s license. Coinbase ignores my questions for help.
    Paypal stopped letting me access my bank account because I am not in the United States and I used a proxy to do it.
    I told them that I am really in Taiwan but I want to access my US money.
    One manager told me that they understand my situation and my proof is valid but the system says no.
    I will try to open up a new paypal account under different e-mail address and try to be more careful with my proxy.

About getting a state ID. Technically, I’m no longer a resident. They could refuse me. It’s been twenty years since I lived there full time and three years since I visited. I will have to apply via e-mail and phone.

Can’t you use your credit card to take out money from your savings/cheque account?

I don’ think they will issue a credit card or debit card to a person who is not living in the usa?

There must be a simpler answer. How are you guys accessing your money in your US bank accounts. I know many of you have let your drivers licenses go.
Is it just a quirk that my Paypal Account was closed down. Many of you suggested that I use bitcoin. Coinbase needs a state id. Can you recommend a better company?

7/11 like I said lol

ATMs work just fine with my US account. $1.00usd service fee per withdrawal is all. My pension is deposited in my stateside bank. I withdraw cash here, no questions asked. I feel like there’s more to this story :thinking:

1 Like

Does your US bank allow you to do a wire transfer to your Taiwan bank without being physically present in the US?