So I tried renunciation in Taiwan and I can’t unless I re-enter, hopefully this information helps others thinking of doing the same since the embassy has all kinds of weird requirements not documented on their site.
- you can’t renounce from the US
- you can’t renounce from Taiwan if you entered with your US passport (only the local TW embassy will tell you this after you register with a local number)
- you can’t renounce from Taiwan if you don’t have another citizenship
- you can’t renounce if you don’t have your original naturalization certificate
- if you were born in the US before 18, it’s harder to renounce, need additional docs (I wasn’t)
- if you went to the US originally for work purposes, it’s harder to renounce (I didn’t)
Probably some other requirements. The line is 6 months! And if you do make it to the appointment you have to pay the ~2k fee.
Unfortunately for me I have to exit and come back under a different passport.