American Club in China (Shilin District, Taipei)

I was reading the China Post on Sunday and there was a short article about the “American Club in China” – that is in Taipei. I’ve eaten there, as have some of you, too, I am sure. But can anyone tell me how on earth it has the balls (LP) to call itself the AC in CHINA? CHINA?

Here is their website, they say it there too. Is this pathetic or what?

americanclub.org.tw

Their logo proclaims it too. Has any member every asked that the name be formally changed? It’s so unbelievable…

“Since 1968, the American Club in China (ACC) has provided a warm welcome and a home away from home for people from around the world who have been brought together in Taipei’s intl community…”

1968, the name was okay. But in 2005? This is still CHina?

mmmm…what do you want it changed to? American Club in Taiwan (serious question) ?

I’m a member and have no problem with it. A lot of goverment departments and private organizations have China in their name. People like to bitch about a lot of things there but I don’t believe this is one of them.

[quote=“purple people eaters”]mmmm…what do you want it changed to? American Club in Taiwan (serious question) ?

I’m a member and have no problem with it. A lot of goverment departments and private organizations have China in their name. People like to bitch about a lot of things there but I don’t believe this is one of them.[/quote]

Yes, sure, American Club in Taiwan. Why not? This is not China. It is just silly. I am not talking about PC, just silly. Get the geography right. In 2005. China just does not make sense anymore. The China Post newspaper will never change its name, but just curious if ACC members have ever brought this issue up.

Thanks for your feedback. I am not a member, so I defer to your will. But a curious observer…

I know CHina Airlines and CHina Post cannot change their names for political reasons, but can’t a private club do better? I am ashamed for that place.

[quote=“Cola”][quote=“purple people eaters”]mmmm…what do you want it changed to? American Club in Taiwan (serious question) ?

I’m a member and have no problem with it. A lot of goverment departments and private organizations have China in their name. People like to bitch about a lot of things there but I don’t believe this is one of them.[/quote]

Thanks for your feedback. I am not a member, so I defer to your will. But a curious observer…

I know China Airlines and China Post cannot change their names for political reasons, but can’t a private club do better? I am ashamed for that place.[/quote]

Offtopic: China Post is a private family-owned newspaper. Given their staunch blue-party leaning, the owners will likely never change their paper’s name to reflect reality. that said, its their paper, they can do whatever they want with it. Might as well call it the FREE CHINA Post.

further off-topic: the China News changed its name to the Taiwan News several years ago…and the world kept spinning just the same…

pure speculation: China Airlines might have more trouble changing names not only because of political pressure, but because of all the negotiated air-routes and landing agreements under the original name. who knows, i’m no lawyer.

The American Club in China was established when Taiwan DID rule China - well at least in the eyes of the UN and the rest of the free world.

Well I

Well, I’m glad to hear the staff there is great. The one time I went there I had a great time, too. I just wasn’t aware of the full name. We all just called it the American Club. I didn’t know it was actually the American Club in China.

It just seems so Alice in Wonderlandish to call this place “China” in the year 2005. Back when the club was founded, sure. But not today.

Who are the old money retired people who control the club? Expats or Taiwanese?

It’s a non-issue, yes, since it’s a private club and they can call it anything damn thing they wish, and this is the ROC, sort of, so it’s not totally wrong. It’s just so off-color, though. I mean the name just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Why not change it?

Isn’t there an American Club in … err … China? (i.e. Beijing/Shanghai/…) What’s that called? “The American Club really in China”?

Good quesiton. I think it’s called The American Club in China, too. I guess there really are two Chinas. Does that take an apostrophe or not?

[quote=“Cola”]Well, I’m glad to hear the staff there is great. The one time I went there I had a great time, too. I just wasn’t aware of the full name. We all just called it the American Club. I didn’t know it was actually the American Club in China.

It just seems so Alice in Wonderlandish to call this place “China” in the year 2005. Back when the club was founded, sure. But not today.

Who are the old money retired people who control the club? Expats or Taiwanese?

It’s a non-issue, yes, since it’s a private club and they can call it anything damn thing they wish, and this is the ROC, sort of, so it’s not totally wrong. It’s just so off-color, though. I mean the name just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Why not change it?[/quote]

Does it really? I mean… who cares?

[quote=“AWOL”]

I mean… who cares?[/quote]

I care. IMHO they should change the name. But it’s their club, they can what they want. But who cares? We all should. All who value proper identification of place names. Other than that, I don’t care.

Probably both

There is a tradition and legacy to The Club that the name conveys.

I mean look at Roosevelt Road in Taipei. Did President Roosevelt ever come near that street in his lifetime?

The same cannot be said about China and Taiwan.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]There is a tradition and legacy to The Club that the name conveys.

.[/quote]

So the British Club in Boston USA should have retained its original name THE BRITISH CLUB IN THE BRITISH COLONIES for reasons of tradition and legacy? But it didn’t. It changed with the times.

Isn’t it time for the American Club in China to get REAL? Or will they continue to call themselves by that ridiculous name even in 3005?

This is not ‘‘China’’. This is not ‘‘Greater China’’. China is a completely different place.

Then again, maybe this IS China? Obviously, nobody really cares anymore…

you care dude! :slight_smile: and you seem to care a lot… i say let it go, relax, take a deep breath and concentrate your powers and energy on good.

[quote=“Cola”]Then again, maybe this IS China? Obviously, nobody really cares anymore…[/quote]Some say it is, and hope for unification when the time is right (a view that is becomming less popular, but it still exists). Who are we to say their views are invalid ? Who are we to say whether this island should be independant, unified with the mainland, or painted purple ?
I tell people from England but my passport doesn’t say England in it. Is my passport not mirroring reality ?

I think you are right BFM; nothing mirrors reality anymore, nor should it. Point well taken.

The New York Giants football team plays in New Jersey

[quote=“purple people eaters”]The New York Giants football team plays in New Jersey

And Warwick University isn’t in Warwick.
And the San Marino Grand Prix isn’t in San Marino.
And Israel is in the Eurovision song contest.
Berwick FC is in the Scottish Fooball League.
Derry City is the the Republic of Ireland League
New Zealand Knights FC is in the Australian A-League

[quote]We have a football team called Sheffield Wednesday but they play on a Saturday like everyone else[/quote]They used to play on Wednesdays when they were a cricket club.